Places to visit in Jakarta

Hi,

For the ones living in Jakarta, what would you suggest to discover the region?

When you have friends or family visiting you, where do you go with them? What are the must-see places in Jakarta, the tourist sites?

How to visit the region in an original way? Any unusual or unknown place to recommend?

What would you suggest for a couple of days of for a week of holidays in Jakarta?

Thank you in advance for participating ;)

Julie

Hi Julie,

I would suggest you to visit Kota Tua(Old Town), National Monument Tower, National Museum, Bank Indonesia Museum, Sea World in Ancol Dreamland.

For the  unusual and not a touristy place, you can go to the traditional markets as they are "very life". You can go to pasar petak sembilan, pasar Tanah abang( the biggest one in South East Asia).

If you want to see "Indonesia" ,you should go to the Beautiful Indonesia Mini Park in East Jakarta. You will see many Indonesian traditional houses, and some of the educational museums there.

If you like nature,I would suggest you to visit Bogor Botanical Garden that located in the suburb of Jakarta.

If you're a keen of shopping, ITC Mangga Dua would be good for shopping with cheap prices.

If you need a guide/interpreter during your holiday in Jakarta,you could consider me as your guide:)

I would enjoy to show you Jakarta and for the places you want to visit,they can be arranged upon your request :)

Cheers,
Jakartaguide

I would suggest you to visit bogor or puncak better then visit jakarta   because in jakarta if u want visit one place its will take u all day to go there  and i think there is only monas intresting to visit in jakarta

hapch03 wrote:

I would suggest you to visit bogor or puncak better then visit jakarta   because in jakarta if u want visit one place its will take u all day to go there  and i think there is only monas intresting to visit in jakarta

The traffic is bad I have to admit that..but not as bad as taking all day just to visit one place..
Obviously it is an excessive statement..
But that's your opinion..I respect that

Only monas??
Are you sure?

My conclusion about you is......you don't know jakarta...

Cheers,
-b-

Here are 2 lists of things to do in the city. There is lots to do and places to go if you are adventurous enough.

http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2011/ … karta.htmlhttp://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2013/ … karta.html

Got a few days on your hands, here is another list of things to do

http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2011/ … karta.html

Enjoy Jakarta and pick the times to travel (not the morning rush hour) and there are some lovely places to visit

Then there are lots of good places to visit a short boat or plane ride away such as Tiger Island (1,000 Islands), Jogjakarta (& Borobudur), Belitung (more Islands) and Kalamantan with the Orangutans

Are all around an hour or less on a plane, the boat to 1,000 Islands is around 2 hours

If you want to go for an adventure, drive to the coast and get a boat out to Krakatoa

maybe i dont know jakarta or maybe i know it better then you   jakarta for me is not place for holiday its big city for business and for live  any one will come jakarta first time will not like  . jakarta is not bali or any other beautiful island in indonesia .  i love jakarta  at night coz its empty  and any way i respect your opinion juga say

hapch03 wrote:

maybe i dont know jakarta or maybe i know it better then you   jakarta for me is not place for holiday its big city for business and for live  any one will come jakarta first time will not like  . jakarta is not bali or any other beautiful island in indonesia .  i love jakarta  at night coz its empty  and any way i respect your opinion juga say

Certainly agree with that! But then again, if my friends are visiting me here, it's nice to be able to show them the good bits of Jakarta (and there are great bits).

It's a big sprawling city, but it has great people and some great places to visit. Especially the restaurants and the markets as mentioned above

Otherwise they just get left with the traffic and the malls, which would be unfortunate...

try to visit Tidung Island.........nice place! :)

anna2003 wrote:

try to visit Tidung Island.........nice place! :)

HOW TO GET TO THAT ISLAND

For first timers, Kota Tua is always on top of the list with its attractions.
Also on some certain days, you can visit National monument and get to the top. I think its only on Saturday night, I'm not too sure.

Though I have to say, even though Jakarta is bad with the traffic but as long as you know which are the best time to go and which are the best transportations to use, there are more places to visit than you think. Oh, and I do know my Jakarta ;)

As far as I know you can go up the Monas oretty much every day except Monday but get there early before tge kids arrive. Weekend is a bad idea to do that,  far too over crowded.

lukereg wrote:

As far as I know you can go up the Monas oretty much every day except Monday but get there early before tge kids arrive. Weekend is a bad idea to do that,  far too over crowded.

Great, thanks for the info Luke! I havent tried, myself!!