Advice on moving to New York from UK....urgent help needed!

Hi all

I'm a new member here and really hope you can help me

I potentially have an opportunity to move to NYC with my girlfriend due to promotion with my company...... I've done quite a bit of research already but really could do with some on the ground advice

I would be based just south of midtown, Madison and 25th, and would need a 2 bed apartment. Going to rent as I think it will only be for a couple of years.

Company will sort out all the move stuff,,,,, but could do with a steer on:

Living areas ( been looking seriously at Hoboken )
Average cost of living ( bills, cell, cable, utilities etc ) monthly
Any hidden local taxes??? ( property tax?)
What's the income tax like over there?

Appreciate all your help in advance

Hi Deano101,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to download the The US expat guide PDF. This might be really helpful, as it contains load of useful information.

Feel free to go through the New York forum this might also help. :)

Best of luck, ;)

David.

Thanks...that was v useful

Any advice on monthly cost of living would be cool

Deano101 wrote:

Thanks...that was v useful

Any advice on monthly cost of living would be cool

Have you checked out this and similar sites?

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … York%2C+NY

The costs given on numbeo are pretty close.  I see that you're from London and I think the costs might be fairly similar to NY (read EXPENSIVE!).

Good luck.

Well, theres Hoboken,Jersey City(newport neighborhood), those are the closet to NYC. Rent is a bit pricey, ranging $1,700 for a studio, and $2500+ for a two bed room apartment. Property taxes usually apply to Landlords not tenants. The rest of the Expenses should be similar to the UK (utilities,cell phone,food)If not less since the Pond is stronger then the Yankee Dollar.

There are many places you can live in, It depends on how long you are willing to commute. Hope this helps Mate.

Although many people live on the New Jersey side of NYC (like Hoboken), the problem I have with it is accessibility and extra costs in commuting. Any and all connections across the Hudson River are not part of the NYC system, so you would pay one fare just to enter (or leave) NYC, and then pay additionally to get to the rest of the city. Also, when Hurricane Sandy hit, it knocked out all of the PATH train service for a full week before skeleton service was restored, and it was over two months until service was restored to the level it was before the storm. That's not to say that this will happen again anytime soon, but if there are any significant disruptions, I think the ferries get expensive pretty fast.

I just think that if you are going to be exploring NYC, and not just working here, then I'd rather save the extra expense of going home to New Jersey. That's why I'd suggest that you might consider neighborhoods like Astoria and Sunnyside in Queens, which are both only about 20 minutes to Midtown, and on the same MetroCard that you can go everywhere else in NYC with.