Furniture

hello members, we may be moving to Suva from the US in Oct (2013) for at least 3 years. Would really appreciate your advice on whether or not we should bring all, some or none of our furniture items and household supplies? We would be putting and paying for storage if we don't bring them. thank you.

Hi! I'm Ilisoni Ravula.

Well about your furniture, Its up to you. If you think that you dont want to leave them behind for 3 years, which is very difficult to find any where in the Pacific. You should bring them over.  We have alot of Timber here in Fiji and also various type of furniture you can purchase here instead, if we think of the freight charges.

That is just my idea, but the decision are all your Sir!

Cheers!

Ilisoni

thank you for your kind advice. from your response, it appears that there are good furniture options at reasonable cost available in Fiji? What about items like mattresses and kitchen pots/pans? thank you.

Dear nsadraz,

Hi! once again.  As for your mattresses and kitchen pots/pans that will be up to you, because all those things you can find them here too.
If you need to see what sort of mattresses and pots/pans available here;  I can take few photos of those and send it over for you to see it.
If you agree then sent me the kind of mattresses you may need to have and like wise your pots/pans or I just sent the one we have here in shops. This just to easy your loads of how you will bring all your stuff to Fiji.:top:

You can find household goods here in Fiji.If your storage is cheap for your goods to be in US for 3 years then I suggest you leave it there but if its expensive we could arrange to ship these goods to you in Suva.

Thanks,
Bill

Thank you Bill. I would appreciate hearing more about the shipping options. we can offline it if you like at [email protected]. thank you.

Hello,

If you are going for three years you might as well bring your furniture, except for antique or expensive items which you wish to hold on to forever.  Suva's high humidity can wreak havoc on wood items.

Also, most of the furniture you bring you would probably be able to sell upon leaving Fiji.

Last, remember that Fiji runs on 240V/50Hz so many of your electrical appliances will not work without a voltage converter.  (Most cell phone chargers and the like will handle any voltage from 100-240, so you will only need a physical adapter for those).

Pita

thank you pita for your helpful advice. There are several items I am considering to bring: exercise machine, 2 small sofa, high quality pots and pans, sheets and towels, clothes, televisions, mattresses (one is high quality king size). I am thinking about leaving china, antiques and our wooden furniture behind. What do you think about the items I am considering to bring? thanks.

It sounds like a reasonable list of items to bring.  Although you will be able to purchase such items in Fiji, you would not have the same selection and it may be much more expensive to purchase such items down there.

On the TV, that would be the type of thing which is much cheaper to buy in the US (and you seem to already have that), but remember the voltage difference.  Unless your TV can handle 220-240 voltage, it will not work properly in Fiji without a converter.

Hi NSandaz

I just sent you email regarding what /how to move your goods from US to Fiji.

Cheers,
BW

Bill Will, please e-mail to me as well!  Thanks

Hi Pita

Would you need to freight things also from US to Fiji?
Your email addy?

Yes, from Honolulu.

E-mail [email protected]

Thanks!

Sending email to you Pita..now.

cheers,
BW

I advise not to move furniture to Fiji.  There is a lot of expat housing that rents fully furnished houses and apartments.  The average expat tour here is only a couple of years, so many have similar situation to yours.  See the 'Suva Expats' Facebook group for a sample.  The Fiji Sun and Fiji Times newspaper classified are full of furnished housing.

thank you for this helpful advice. are there any particular furniture items or household goods that you would recommend bringing?

Quality of household items available in Fiji often suffers, so consider bringing high quality sheets, kitchen knives, towels, and similar non-electronic things where quality really matters to you. Ant-proof plastic storage containers and zip-lock bags (might be available now in Suva - not sure). No electronics except laptop computers.

Also, consider taking a vacation in New Zealand or Australia in February (great weather there while it's too hot and humid here) with a shopping list to pick up all the things you can't find in Fiji.

John

awesome. thank you so much. are the flight (prices) reasonable to NZ and Australia?

Also, wondering if it would be best to contact a real estate agent once I arrive or just look through newspapers/social media to find a furnished home?

Flights to Auckland NZ and Brisbane Australia are typically $600-$800 USD round trip.

It's probably best to use both a real estate agent and newspapers/social media as approaches when looking for a rental home.  Real Estate agents will probably be more helpful in knowing the reputation of each neighborhood, and you can give them your specific requirements and price range to save you some time.  If you're looking for high-end accommodations, try to find a real estate agent that specializes in expats.  Co-workers would be another good source of info.

Bring all your linen  pots and pans your favorite snacks , car seat covers and all your  bits you can't live without , multi vitamins , if you used to a certain type of mattress bring it but the rest of the furniture if you can get a good price for it sell it as you may not get a good price for it here with our dollar being so low, and most of the expat rentals are fully furnished

Good luck with the move

Hi shazawaza - please note that this thread is a bit old tho :)

Lol I noticed date after post