Planning to set up a business to enable early retirement from the UK

In order to plan for our future and early retirement from the UK, my partner and I are considering purchasing some land or a property to spend the next however many years converting or building a small hotel/B&B that will generate a modest income and allow us to move to Sri Lanka more permanently.

Can anyone offer any advice on the visa implications of purchasing property, living in sri lanka and running a business inlcuding approximate costs. 

Also any advice on upcoming tourist areas that are ripe for investment

thanks

Hello Hassams and welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope that the other members who have some experiences in the matter will help you soon.

You may in the meantime browse the other threads on these Forums;  Information on visas Sri Lanka, Working in Sri Lanka and Find an accommodation in Sri Lanka.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Karen :)

Hello Hassams

Welcome to the Forum. I am not resident in SL and hence unable to provide tips and advise directly. However, I did find the following discussion threads that may answer some of your questions:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=156447https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128245

I can also introduce you to professional/corporate service providers who would be able to guide you through the process and assist you in identifying suitable investment options. Please send me a private message if you would like the introduction.

Best wishes for a successful and fulfilling retirement.

Dear Hassams,

Government has abandoned the policy of selling the properties to the foreigners. They have replaced it with the 99 year leasehold.

Kalpitiya, Negombo, Arugambay, Kalkudah, Panama, Bentota, Galle, Matara, Hill Country and the Cultural Triangle found to be the ideal destinations for such an investment.

However I would like to suggest you to visit the country or build some relationship some individuals over the linkedin or similar forums to get an idea about the country, its economic situation first.

Reason: exact situation is not the same as what you are seeing from the outside.

If you need any assistance over the available options, just drop a PM. I will try to answer your questions as much as possible.

Thanks,
Zee

you should acquaint yourself with the changes that happened to the Land Act in Sri Lanka this year. This very much affects foreigners who wish to buy in Sri Lanka.  (My advice is don't even pursue your plan - it well end in tears - unless the law changes).

Hello there

Sri Lanka governemnt has a scheme opened for the retired foriegn couples to settle in Sri Lanka under the theme "My Dream Home" refer to below youtube link my youtube.com/watch?v=GBZ3gkm1Fko

If you are 55 years old you are entitle for this, few criteria to meet such a opening commercial bank account and show your main stream of living expenses of $1500 a month.

[moderated: no free ads please]

Cheers

Nishan

Be careful....lot of local thugs will come behind you once you decide to start your life and business in there, they will wash you out or you may have to face your death

I can tell you so many real stories.......even so many British people have faced the brutal death!!!!!!!!!!!!and many of them have lost so much of money and some of them both lives and money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi lalpath,

Thank you for sharing information but it would be great if you can share and give us some positive points as well which might be helpful please :)

Maximilien

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your Advert in the Housing in Sri Lanka section.]