Malaria in roatan

Hi. We are considering moving to Roatan with 2 children.
What is the malaria situation there?
Are prophylactics necessary?
Also, are there any expat children living on the island?
Are there home schooling groups?
Any info will be much appreciated.

There is malaria on the island, but long-term use of anti-malarials can cause liver damage, so no one living here takes them.  I'm here with my 2 boys, and none of us have ever had a problem, we just use repellent with the mosquitoes are out.  Plenty of ex-pat kids on the island.  I think there's a homeschooling group in West Bay.  Cam at Sandcastle Library has resources that she said homeschooling parents are welcome to use.  If you want to enroll your kids in a school, probably the most popular choice is Esbir in Coxen Hole.  Mine are at La Luisa in Coxen Hole, which is more affordable, but I supplement their English reading and writing at home, as the level at school isn't great.
Mel

There are many expat kids and kids from a variety of backgrounds. We live on Roatan with our two kids and they attend the Sandy Bay Alternative School, which is wonderful.
We are not malaria meds, but are active with safe and natural precautions against mosquitos. Long clothing, natural repellents, fans at night, screens etc.

We love it here!

Kim

To those who know Coxen Hole I would like to know your opinion about that place and if you have any suggestions since we plan to move there next year!
We already bought some property there!
About malaria, I appreciate the information you have already given here.
My husband had malaria in Africa many years ago!
Thanks
MariaLovesJesus