Cell Phone

We are traveling to Panama Aug 2013. What is the best way to have cell phone for in-country and to call stateside?

We simply went to the mall, to digicel, and purchased $20 worth of minutes for our cell phone. There is another cell company, MovieStar, that is all over the place. Do know enough Spanish to make request or have someone interpret, it will make transaction  easier. Also make test call before you leave store to make sure all is ok.

Hi Fleetman1,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :D

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thanks guys. Look forward to arriving.

Randy

How long will you be here?  If it is extended you may want to go the SIM card route depending on the model of phone you use and if you want access to data.

Going to be in Panama 3 weeks, looks like SIMS is the way to go.

Thx

Just as another option (this sounds difficult - it IS NOT).  You phone will need to be unlocked (not jailbroken that is something entirely different), I have used cellunlocker.net for multiple types of phones with multiple carriers (I have helped MANY of my friends).  It is an online process and costs $29.99 with a money back guarantee. 

You can then switch out your US SIM card with one from here (I recommend Mas Movil) they cost $1.06 - don't buy one at the airport from the machine it is $15!

Buy a pre-paid phone card since it is only 8-11 cents to call out per minute (incoming is free) you won't need to buy very many minutes.  If you want to do 1 month of data (your email, Facebook, internet etc) the prepaid cost is $14.95 for a month. 

If you decide to go this route let me know.  I simply switch out my SIM cards on the airplane when leaving Panama to my US SIM and vice versa!  I'd also recommend downloading the apps - What'sApp and Tango as you can use these when in WIFI if you decide not to do the SIM switcharoo.

Buena Suerte!

Thanks for the help.

Will be arriving Panama Aug 3 at 8:51 PM so probably not be able to do anything until next day or maybe Monday. Staying at TRYP so shouldn't be much problem finding what is needed.

Any further help/advice you can give will be much appreciated.

thx
Randy