Moving to Riyadh from London!

Hi everyone!
I have been doing a lot of research about what life is like for western women in Saudi Arabia much of which worries me especially when I have been told that I would need an exit visa from my potential employer (a member of the Saudi Royal Family) should I need to escape and I am very worried about what would happen if they refused for some reason to give me one.
Also health care seems a bit random and this is going to sound daft but I have an aversion to venomous snakes and spiders and although I know these to exist as it is after all, the desert I would like to know if such encounters are to be expected on a daily basis?
Hope you can help me!

I understand your other concerns, but don't worry about venomous snakes/spiders.  I've never seen any, not even in the desert.

Thanks 'Alliecat' as you have put my mind at rest to a certain extent as I was imagining that the place was crawling with venomous snakes and spiders!

Nooooooooooooooooo lol  That's the least of the problems around here :D

I hope you have an idea of how many people are "members of the Saudi Royal Family" and that it wasn't an agent trying to trick you into accepting that job by mentioning the Royal Family.

The closest I have come to a venomous snake or spider, is my 2-year old nephew (bless him!) :)

hishmaj wrote:

I hope you have an idea of how many people are "members of the Saudi Royal Family" and that it wasn't an agent trying to trick you into accepting that job by mentioning the Royal Family.

The closest I have come to a venomous snake or spider, is my 2-year old nephew (bless him!) :)

Excellent point.

For all future readers please be very very very careful when someone mentioned royal family. 99.9% it leads to fraud of one type or another.

The Royal family does not do business like this, and nor do they let their name be used like so.

@OP
Life in Saudi Arabia is what you will make of it.

Hi Hishmaj:)

Thanks for your reply and yes I do know that there are squillions of them but this job came through a very prestigious agency in London and I have spoken to the Princess who seems very nice but like you say....who knows for sure.
Am so pleased that two people have now told me that Riyadh is not crawling with venomous snakes and spiders as I expect that they keep away from humans if they can but it has certainly put my mind at rest so thank you!

Thank you .....Maybe I should not have mentioned the Saudi Royal Family at all.....it would be OK in London but obviously not in Saudi so I shall not do it again and I certainly would not divulge any other information as discretion is vital so I have learnt a valuable lesson..thank you!

Hey Judyk

I am moving soon too from the UK, excited yet nervous lol.. Can I ask what you'll be doing for the Saudi Royal Family? Seems like a very prestigious role..

Adam55 wrote:

Hey Judyk

I am moving soon too from the UK, excited yet nervous lol.. Can I ask what you'll be doing for the Saudi Royal Family? Seems like a very prestigious role..

There are thousands of members of the royal family, Adam.  They hire westerners for private tutors, chefs, house managers, etc.  It's a 'prestige' thing.

Sounds really interesting and yeh, very prestige..

Adam55 wrote:

Sounds really interesting and yeh, very prestige..

Yes, but it can be very isolating; difficult to meet people because if you're female, you live with the family and are always 'on call.'  I hope it's not this way for judyk.

judyk wrote:

Thanks 'Alliecat' as you have put my mind at rest to a certain extent as I was imagining that the place was crawling with venomous snakes and spiders!

My advice is to go on Google maps and look at how far we have come from the desert. we are no longer an episode out of "American Dad".

as for the exit Visa. It doesn't matter who is your sponsor. If you want to leave they will probably let you leave. If they don't just go to your embassy, and they will let you out (worst case senario).

ahelpfulsaudi wrote:

My advice is to go on Google maps and look at how far we have come from the desert. we are no longer an episode out of "American Dad".

You don't ride camels and live in tents?!? :blink:

welcome

Judy,

The climate of Saudi Arabia is very hot until October. Life is very much normal. Here people are modern like rest of the world. The only difference is you cannot drive and you have to wear abaya (long black shirt). Apart from that here alomost all people give lots of respect to woman.

I am sure when landed here you will makeup your mind and transform with good thinks about Saudi Arabia. 

Wish you goodluck and I am sure your will enjoy staying here.

^_^ (spiders and snakes)you made me laugh so hard, wish you a pleasant stay and welcome

If someone is going UK, and in that trip he want to add France, that means in between his stay in UK he could also visit France for couple of days, what should he do?
Can we have both visa at same time and fly to UK
OR
do we need to go UK first and then apply for France visa from there?
Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It will be an adventure beautiful precious tax

Interesting ... This conversation took place like three years ago ,,
I really wonder what happened next?
how did you find Saudi Arabia?
was the ROYAL_FAMILY term used as a fraud or not? :)

hey
all my life here so yes i know riyadh very well
if you wanna ask about something else

Lol! I didn't see even a spider in my 10 years here. Well, I don't go to the desert often but never heard of a venomous snake. If you'll work with a Royal Family I think your situation will be even better.