Where can I get my ADHD medication in Cairo?

I have Attention deficit disorder (ADHD). I have a US prescription for Ritalin and a note from my US doctor explaining what this medication is for. (It's totally legit.) I have been to 4-5 different pharmacies (including a government one in downtown cairo) and am unable to get my prescription filled. Does anyone one have any suggestions? I am happy to see an Egyptian physician to get a new prescription if necessary. Help!

What reason did they give?  Was it just not available, or did they not understand?  Did you provide the trade name or the actual name of the medication and a list of equivilants?  I needed an antibiotic one time for an eye infection that an American doctor prescribed.  When I gave them the prescription they said it wasn't available so I went home, looked it up with a search engine and got the medical name, then went back with a printout.  She took one look at it and went straight to the shelf and got it.  I'm not sure that's the case here but may be worth a try.

I have a master's degree in special education, and address of the thesis, is, self-efficacy have ADHD, and any number of strategies have been used for self-regulation to UNlimit the use of drugs Ritalin and Adderall, and Nserta. According to studies and research conducted on the therapeutic intervention, I strongly advise the use of cognitive methods to reduce the severity of the symptoms of hyperactivity.

To clarify that the drug Ritalin and drill a workbook from the second division, in accordance with the medical evidence, in the sense that it is not a prescription

We live in Cairo; my son is on Ritalin. It is a highly controlled medication here. Your U.S. Rx will not help you at the pharmacy. You will have to obtain a special Rx from a local psychiatrist. That Rx can only be filled at two pharmacies in the Cairo meto area.

If anybody would care to share info about psychiatrists who could prescribe it locally (apparently a select few) or the pharmacies that provide it, that information would be very much appreciated.

I just moved back to Egypt after several years in the US, and my quest to gain access to ADHD meds has so far been unsuccessful.

Im on ritalin, It's found only on tow pharmacy  and you need spacial prescription from local psychiatrist, my psychiatrist  can give you this prescription

There is this 10-part documentary on a behind-the-scene look into Psychotropic Drugs!

Recommend - must see for all!

Making A Killing - The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging

I am also having difficulty locating a doctor and pharmacy.

So, once again... does anyone have the names/locations of these rare psychiatrists and these two pharmacies? Otherwise this will be like trying to find a needle in a Cairo-sized haystack.

Hello to all an welcome to Expat.com, fhi :)

I'll move this topic to Cairo's forum where you might get a better chance for accurate response to your questions.

Have a nice day
Arlette

try to go to one of the big pharmacies in cairo like Sief of Ezaby and ask to talk to one expereinced pharmacist, and let the parmachiest name u the active ingrdient "generc name" of this mediciene name. And they can help giving u the subistiuite name for the medciene in egyptian market.

this is what i can advise u with regarding this topic.

to know the generic name or active ingredient, you can search the web first.

Did any one know the location of the doctor or pharmacist

i'm form alexandria and i really need ritalin
i had a prescription froma dr abroad but it's useless here
can anyone help me!!! please?

Kanzy  if you are an Egyptian just go to another doctor here they are very cheap he will prescribe you the SAME DRUG with the same effective chemicals but with the Egytpain trade name, certainly 95% that will help unless that Ritalin just isn`t there and no equivalent he will still subscribe an Alternative.
i was reading much about ADHD was kinda feeling i had it, and also red that all these medications are stimulants or similar to stimulants.

Thank you for replying...
Can you suggest a dr to visit?
how long do you think it will take me to get a prescription?
i really need those pills asap!
is there a way to get adhd medication without Rx....just enough to get me through till i visit a dr

where can i find you  , I need Ritalin in Egypt  or ADHD

I have adult adhd also and i live in egypt and i was prescribed strattera which was a nightmare as well as modafinil, i was on retalin before i usa and now i cant find it in egypt, a great help is a list of the phsyc who would accept to prescribe adderall or ritalin.

You should be able to find methylphenidate under name "Concerta" in certain pharmacies but you'll need a prescription. In Alexandria its at "El warda El Beidah" pharmacy (صيدلية الوردة البيضاء) in Smouha. To get a prescription you'll need an appointment with a legible neurologist/psychiatrist baring in mind that not all of them have the credentials to write a narcotics prescription.

May you recommend a good psychiatrist in Alexandria? That would be greatly appreciated I have been struggling to find someone with considerable knowledge in the existence of ADHD in adults.

Aly.osama.ahmed wrote:

You should be able to find methylphenidate under name "Concerta" in certain pharmacies but you'll need a prescription. In Alexandria its at "El warda El Beidah" pharmacy (صيدلية الوردة البيضاء) in Smouha. To get a prescription you'll need an appointment with a legible neurologist/psychiatrist baring in mind that not all of them have the credentials to write a narcotics prescription.

any help or reference to a well informed psychiatrist?

Hello there!
I do not know if my writing could help you this moment but may be it can or probably could help someone else. To start with try to download an app on your android or your iOS/iphone/ipad. The app is named "EasyDrugs". After downloading it, try to search "methixene" and then contact any pharmacy to buy your meds. Remember any drug name has also a generic name which is very important to get it within any respective country/region. To get exact generic name or drug name just google it. I am sure google is smarter than us as we live an interesting times in human history.

Good luck:)

Best regards,

Ahmed/

where exactly i can get Retalin in Egypt ,can you just enumerate or list some pharmacies   and i d love to declare that i m  Egyptian :)

Any info about the psychiatrist

Hi Hazem Nabil81,

To whom are you talking to please?

Note that this topic has been created back in 2010.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

where exactly in Cairo,plz?

Hello Ema, i am new Cairo, Can you support on that ?

Hello mate , I have ADHD Too lol

So regarding the medicine u will need to visit a local doctor to prescribe u your medicine , next go directly to the government pharmacy in downtown don't waste your time

Hi
Can you tell me the name of the pharmacy in cairo?
Are you prescribed Ritalin?
I was thinking I might just get another medication that doesn't need rosheta like Straterra. Or there is a drug called clonidine but I don't know if it exist in egypt or not?!! do you have any info?
Any help is really appreciated

The available brand in Egypt , names concerta it's the same as Ritalin , even better in my opinion, and yes you do need roshitta u can get it for es3af pharmacy in downtown , if you have any questions you are welcome ***

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello. Can you please suggest a psychiatrist who has the credentials to write a special prescription?for Concerta in alexandria
Really appreciate it

Will we ever find out a good psychiatrist who can prescribe these medications in cairo? I can't believe how complicated they make it.. this is a real condition   :mad:

Can anyone who has a prescription suggest a psychiatrist for the rest?

Hello all,

I hope my reply would solve the predicament of attaining Ritalin or its substitute available in Egypt.

My psychiatrist is located in Haram, Faisal Street “DM me and ill provide the full address”.

He would prescribe Concerta/ and starters. Based on personal experience, Ritalin can only be scored and it cost me around $90 for one box. So, is rather if you visit my Dr and he'll provide you with a prescription that lasts for 60 days, as per the new regulations To attain any scheduled drugs/ meds is that the Prescription contains not only the name of the medicine but the quantity, like 60 pills of Concerta!

All the best and I hope my reply would help anyone.

Blessings,

A. Adyy

Hey there Ema,

I hope my message finds you well.

If your still experiencing difficulties/ agony finding/ attaining Ritalin, I can guide you to me psychiatrist where he's gonna provide you with a prescription for a substitute called Concerta, and/ or another substitute that's exactly like Ritalin, however I can't recall the name at this moment.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

A. Adyyy

Hey there,

Just trying to help out as much as I can.

I can refer you to my psychiatrist that would provide you with what you are seeking.

All the best and I wish anyone on this forum to be in the best of health and I hope I can help anyone who's truthfully in need of this medication.

Please respond to your dm

I feel like as a health professional you should know better than to disregard the need for medication for treating  any disorder.

I sent you a dm, please send me the doctor info asap

i have the same problem
my life is a mess right now !!!

can you give us a name of a doctor who can prescribe concerta??

Closed