Info from scratch; Moving to Aberdeen

Greetings, fellow expat-bloggers !

I am putting up this post to educate myself on nitty-grities of shifting to Aberdeen; for work in the Oil and Gas sector. Any help and suggestion is more than welcome and I thank you all in advance :)

OK! Let me introduce myself -
I'm a 24 yr guy, living and working in Abu Dhabi(UAE) with my family. I belong to central India but have been mostly raised here in AD.

I work for an international oil and gas services company HQ'd in Houston. I am expecting to have an inter-company offer to shift to Aberdeen; If things go as planned, I should be finding myself in Scotland in 3-4(max) months of time. Not sure whether the accommodation etc. will be provided by my company, as i'm yet to get into formal talks myself with UK HR.
It might be a bit early, but i prefer early-voyage-planning.

I am looking for advise on shifting, settling costs and living in Scotland (Aberdeen). Would be really lovely to have some tips from you on all of those.

So, here are a few questions to start with -

- What salary numbers should I be looking at, if i want to rent out a single room for myself(inn case accommodation is not covered in my contract). On the flip side, what should be numbers if accommodation is taken care of?
I do go clubbing occasionally, dine out often, don't go over the top with clothes, love to travel (will be making short backpacking trips around the place)
- basically, I would be LIVING happily there, not Surviving. Hope that conveys :D

- I'm a bachelor, but would be definitely looking to stay at a decent location. Tory is a sure miss, they say. I won't be having a car to myself and hence living in the suburbs is not feasible initially. I'm expecting my office location to be in Dyke.

- For a person of my profile/background:
(though every city has its pros and cons for living) anything specific that i should be looking at, while negotiating with the HR ?

I know its a lot to ask, bu please do add on to other important aspects that i might have missed out for now.

Looking forward to read from you guys!

Cheers, Sam

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]

I have just moved to Aberdeen and are managing to get by without a car. If you do need one though there is a company called co-wheels with a lot of cars in the central city to hire.

Good rentals go very quickly here, so you need to chase listings pretty hard. I am paying £750 for a single bedroom apartment in the centre of town. Council tax is about another £100 pounds a month.

The centre of town is well connected with bus services and trains, and there is a bus link with the airport.

Hope that helps.