Radelaidians wanting to move t CA

Hi all
Just needing some advice on a possible move to California. I have an aunty living in La Jolla, San Diego and a cousin in Ventura so wanting to live somewhere in between. However when I googled real estate in La Jolla, could not believe how expensive it was, as I know things are picking up but too expensive for us. So I guess we could rent or stay with my aunty while we house hunted. We have two small boys so wanting to live in a safe area (or at least with a similar crime rate to Adelaide, South Australia!). Ideally would like to be a short drive to the beach as this is our situation in Radelaide. And also areas with decent schools. I could work as a Registered Nurse and hubby has 20 yrs in the building industry, so I don't know how good these job prospects would be. If we were to buy, looking to buy at the very most, $600K, but that's pushing it. We were hoping with the current US economy we could find a good property but haggle on the price. Thanks in advance peeps! :)

$600,000 for a house in Southern California is a long shot.  Near the beach is even less likely.  Between Ventura and La Jolla is Orange County - one of the most expensive areas.

Thanks for the response, since posting I have discovered how expensive it is. Can't believe these prices post GFC, but at least that means the economy is picking up. Been looking around North Park, as that its were my cousin moved to and that seems viable.

Have you considered Ramona?  Romona has a wonderful small town feel some of the best schools in San Diego holding high honors for the volume of HS graduates that go on to university.  Not far from San Diego proper and all it has to offer, but much cheaper with agriculture (orange farming) as an economic mainstay.  If I had children I'd live there as it is I live in San Clemente whee the median home price is $650,000 ouch! Oceanside is great weather but the schools r so so.  The climate is awesome though!  Ramona is close enough to everything. If your company willpay for private then move to Oceanside,

The median home price in San Clemente is 650,000 which means half r more and half less.  San Diego County had a lot of opportunities n the medical field.  Just north of Oceanside the government is putting the final touches on a state of the art Hospital for veterans so there will be a high demand and its always good to get into a place as it's opening.  My mom says East Oceanside has very reasonable home prices and those schools r ok and crime low.  Avoid homes west of Old Grove to the beach that area can be sketchy. You can probably get something in Carlsbad it will take some looking.  Home prices have gone up a lot in this past year as we exit the recession but over confident sellers began overpricing so inventory is growing again as the number of active listings has grown.  I would suggest using Trulia.com to begin your search.  I don't live in San Diego I live just north in South Orange County (San Clemente).  Almost any apartment complex will lease for 6 months it usually takes a minimum of 1 to 2 months to get pre-qualified for a mortgage and then the escrow process at least 30 days.  You might wish to consider staying with your Auntie for a bit so that u can get the lay of the land.  In the beach communities rents are lowest between Nov-Feb since its off season. U can try VBRO or Air-Bnb for fully furnished short term rentals.  Write the owner ahead of time.  Your Auntie will have to sponsor your visa or since u r a Nurse it will be easy to find a visa sponsor.  New construction starts have picked up but he will have to at some point get a license if he wants to make good money or join a trade if he has a specialty.  Don't know much about North Park.

Hey Suchan11, thanks heaps for all this info!...will follow it up with hubby. We are trying to get my little sister to move across with us too! My Aunty has offered to sponser which is great, but I am guessing this whole process is another 2 years away for us.
Cheers
Connie ;)