Getting resident visa

Should I be paying for help to get a resident visa or am I being scammed by someone who wants $1,000 to help with that?

No, use the attorney a very solid and lawyer with integrity who does everything for you is Carlos Heredia and his right hand guy Ben John. Look him up in Gringo trees Recommendations under attorney. fees are lower then that for me and my wife and includes everything. Nothing more is charged and emails back & forth are not charged.

If you do tell them Pat * Tim O sent you.

Sue,

A lawyer is not absolutely required, but if you don't speak Spanish, a lawyer would really be helpful. I have seen quotes from $800 to $1,300, so $1,000 is not a scam. Just ask what it covers (the cost of the Visa, for example?) and what activities will be charged above and beyond the $1,000. You want to be sure you cost compare on an equal footing.

A recommendation from someone who has used a particular lawyer is very valuable and tfpob's seems like a really good one, as well as reasonably priced. ZenSPIKE (Neil) also recommended a lawyer, Grace Velastegui, who is in Cuenca. She might be found under Gringo trees Recommendations, but I haven't checked so I am not sure. She is easily found by googling. I think she charged Neil $1,300.

It may be helpful to choose a lawyer who is near where you wish to settle and/or who applies within that area. But that is not absolutely necessary. It just helps the flow if you are close. Another factor is that if you have to later renew or get a new Cuedela (National ID Card) it has to be from the place it was originally obtained. I hope that changes in the future (or has it changed?). If I lose my Cedula, I have travel 12 hours to Quito and that is very inconvenient.

Sue/ Joseph
Grace is recommended several times on Gringo Tree. She is located in Cuenca. I have used her for buying a condo but I know she is very often employed for assistance obtaining a visa. I was more than satisfied with her work for me and when we get to the point of wanting visa assistance we will use Grace for sure.

Sue JoeK's comments are accurate, when I recommended Carlos Heredia I did not mention that he charged us %925 which covered everything including our Cedula's,(mine & wife's).Use him and can be found via Gringo Tree recs.

Is there any point in getting resident visa before you are actually in Ecuador? It is a lot of money and maybe not well spent if one decides to go somewhere else....Sue

Depends on your age, research the benefits associated with the pension visa. I.E 50% off SA airline carriers. 50% off utilities, free landline phone and best of all, no waiting in lines!! Free medical coverage and Go to the front of the line anywhere.No waiting!
Of course, you need to meet the age criteria of the pension visa. If not so what, you can't be time and you will get to the age needed.

suefrankdahl wrote:

Is there any point in getting resident visa before you are actually in Ecuador? It is a lot of money and maybe not well spent if one decides to go somewhere else....Sue

Given two things: you are not sure you will be here for more than ninety days, and the six-month visa is relatively easy to get here, I don't see any advantage to getting it before hand.