Baking Bread in Indonesia

I have to admit I have a weakness for fresh baked bread, so I make my own, which is contributing to my happiness and my waistline.

White bread flour is easy enough to find, but does anyone know where I could find wholemeal or Rye flour in Jakarta.

Happy to share recipes if anyone is interested. It's easy and v tasty :)

Hi Sam.. You can find that flours at Titan Baking this is the address : JL. R.S Fatmawati no.22 Cilandak Barat,Jakarta Selatan.phone 021 7692329.. I hope it can help you..
And about that recipes I'm interesting to try you should share to me:)

Thanks Nunuk, I'll swing by Fatmawati at the weekend :)

I'll take some photos next time I make bread, but the basic recipe is quite easy, there is a lot of waiting around, but not much actual work (about 15 mins) so well suited to a weekend morning if you are around the house.

500g flour
300ml water
10g yeast

Combine half the flour with all the water and all the yeast in a bowl, mix together until mostly smooth, cover with a cloth and leave in a warmish place (around 30'C) until the yeast starts growing well and there are a lot of bubbles on the surface

Add the rest of the flour and
10g salt
You can add some (a glug) of oil to the mix which helps to preserve the bread a little longer but I normally leave it out

Mix it together and then turn it out onto a clean surface to knead it. Make sure your hands are clean 1st

Kneading is basically stretching the dough out and then folding it back on itself to a ball again, use one hand to pull and the ball of the other hand to push, knead for 5 mins, or at least until smooth and consistent. It helps to keep some spare flour around to cover your hands and the dough to stop it being too sticky, It should form a smooth dough that is easy to work with and only just sticky. Try not to add so much flour that it becomes stiff (it takes a bit of practice)

Once done, put it back in the bowl and leave it in a warm place to rise for an hour or so until 2-3 times the original size

Scrape the dough out onto the work surface again and atretch and fold it together 2 or 3 times until it is smooth again.

Now to make the loaves.

This will make one large loaf or can be cut in two for 2 small ones.

Roll the dough up on itself to form a compact ball, then roll it in seasame seeds, fennel seeds or poppy seeds to coat the surface. Put it on some tinfoil and score the top with a sharp knife. Cover again (tin fol best) and leave to rise for 20 mins or so (in a warm place, which is not hard in Indonesia ;)

Switch your oven on (I hope you have one) to it's hottest setting and put the backing dish/tray in to get hot

After 20 mins (when your oven is hot) uncover the loaf, and put it on the hot baking tray in the oven.
After 10 mins turn the oven down to 200'C and cook for another 25 mins

Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool for 30 mins (the cooking process continues here, so it is important to be patient)

Then :) That's it, fresh bread, unbeatable on the same day, but has no preservatives so will only last 2 days

If you don't have an over you can make Pitta breads or English Muffins in a dry frying pan on the stove top

You can also play with the contents, add nuts, raisins, dried mango etc to the bread dough see what you like...

Thank you for the quite easy recipe Sam..:) is it using wholemeal flour? I guess it needs extra energy to knead the dough am I right?cbecause I used need a few mnts if I used the white flour
Btw I like the way You added fennel seed I will add a bit cinnamon powder also..
Ok Ill wait the photograph and the real bread also..lol

nunuk wrote:

Thank you for the quite easy recipe Sam..:) is it using wholemeal flour? I guess it needs extra energy to knead the dough am I right?cbecause I used need a few mnts if I used the white flour
Btw I like the way You added fennel seed I will add a bit cinnamon powder also..
Ok Ill wait the photograph and the real bread also..lol

lol.. Agree for Real Bread!
idk about making delicious Bread so complicated as Sam has mentioned above. well, at least I know how to taste it. :D
i think, @Sam or @Nunuk have to arrange gathering about cook class or baking bread :P

@Dbee thts a good idea..but about baking bread I guess I'm not good at it, perhaps @Sam is the expert:)

Have you ever tried the no-knead bread method? My oven is not big or hot enough for that but I heard beautiful things about it. It does take a while (14-20 hours of proofing) and needing a dutch oven (or at least a casserole with lid) but from what I've seen, it produces a very beautiful crust. Closer to parisian bread with soft-chewy interior... make me wish I have my own kitchen !

Hai Sam,

Thanks for share some nice info on my post. Visiting your post back.

Its great to know that you are a home baker :) Interesting bread recipe, will try it soon. I love freshly baked bread too.

By the way, I have read your profile and found that you are from England. So, is it true that traditional scone should taste creamy? Is it like a little bit or should dominated the whole taste? Have you found scones in Jakarta that taste as same as (or nearly to) the traditional one in UK? Will be very happy if you could share some info about Scone :)

Thanks and happy baking always :)

plaindot wrote:

Have you ever tried the no-knead bread method? My oven is not big or hot enough for that but I heard beautiful things about it. It does take a while (14-20 hours of proofing) and needing a dutch oven (or at least a casserole with lid) but from what I've seen, it produces a very beautiful crust. Closer to parisian bread with soft-chewy interior... make me wish I have my own kitchen !

Dutch oven is beautiful , but once I got one for a gift, it cost me an arm and a leg!!
I wish I had my own kitchen too. Lol

By the way, I have tried Sam's bread from the past gatherings we made. They are so good, especially when its just out of the oven. Butter and salt are the perfect match!

nunuk wrote:

Hi Sam.. You can find that flours at Titan Baking this is the address : JL. R.S Fatmawati no.22 Cilandak Barat,Jakarta Selatan.phone 021 7692329.. I hope it can help you..
And about that recipes I'm interesting to try you should share to me:)

Thanks for the tip Nunuk

Unfortunately my first few attempts at wholemeal didn't rise properly, so they were tasty but heavy.

Good to practice ;)

Ayu Dewi wrote:

Hai Sam,

Thanks for share some nice info on my post. Visiting your post back.

Its great to know that you are a home baker :) Interesting bread recipe, will try it soon. I love freshly baked bread too.

By the way, I have read your profile and found that you are from England. So, is it true that traditional scone should taste creamy? Is it like a little bit or should dominated the whole taste? Have you found scones in Jakarta that taste as same as (or nearly to) the traditional one in UK? Will be very happy if you could share some info about Scone :)

Thanks and happy baking always :)

Scones? Honestly no idea, never made them. But in England we eat them with Cornish clotted cream and Jam, lovely for a sunny afternoon

plaindot wrote:

Hi Plain D

I use a toaster over :P

your oven is big enough for a casserole dish, I've seen it in person ;P haha

o it's a big toaster oven ;)

Samhand wrote:

Once it baked a yummy big fish too :p

Sophie Fisher wrote:
Samhand wrote:

Once it baked a yummy big fish too :p

It has seen a few fish since then and I can make Sate now as well (Yay!)

Sounds awesome, Sam :-)
You're becoming an expert at Indonesian food cooking now. Lol.
Though Im wondering if your bumbu pecel is getting any better :D

Hello Sam

I don't know if you've had any joy locating rye and wholemeal flour yet? Here is a link to my blog which has a list of shops etc. If you ask Sophie at the bread shop in Kemang (address and phone number on post) she might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck and happy bread making! Lottie

http://lottienevin.com/2013/09/12/lotti … jakarta-1/

Thanks Lottie, I found wholemeal flour in the Titan bakery in Fatmawati, they have everything from cup cake decorations to commercial sized mixers, but rye still eludes me.

Still can't get my sourdough right, ho him...

Annie, you'll have to judge my pecel yourself ;P

Still open for new recipes, so maybe a line with your favourite

:)

Sam

Sam, give Sophie a call at Authentique, she is bound to be able to tell you where you can buy it. Maybe she will sell you some? :)

thanks, I will

I'll think of a few favorites and send you the recipes ;)

Sophie Fisher wrote:

I'll think of a few favorites and send you the recipes ;)

:D

Have you tried deep frying bread?

I'm thinking make the dough, kneed, let rise over night in the fridge or leave it for 24 hours.
Either bake with small pieces of fish in it, dip in tartar sauce or maybe fry with already cooked fish in it and again use the tartar sauce for dipping.

Not tried deep frying (let me know how that works for you)

But flat breads quite successful on the stove stop.

Can roll out thin for Pitta Or make flat hambuger sized pieces for english muffins

let them rise about 20 mins before dry frying, turn frequently to stop them burning too much

Deep frying bread is sorta how donut is made. Would work for airier type of dough like sweet roll or white roll, good for stuffed bread like japanese curry-pan or fish bread. But for dipping, hmm maybe better regular bread.

Fish filling works wonderfully i think, I ate some stuffed deep fried bread from.. I forgot, maluku or manado? Tasty :) fish were shredded and mixed with chili though, so the spiciness and tanginess works against the potential grease.

Never tried w/ western approach tho, sounds interesting.

Hmm fried bread with bacon, eggs, mushrooms, beans, sausages, black pudding and a big mug of tea.  How about  eggy bread?