Pets- bring them along or get some there?

Has anyone moved with their pets?
Does anyone know of Ridgebacks, Boerbels, cats? Animal shelters?

Would love some guidance :-)

Hi there
It is quite easy to bring your pets to the DRC - they require all the injections, but do not need to go into quarantine. There are loads of puppies, pigs, ducks, geese, chickens and rabbits here if you prefer and they are not very expensive to buy on every street corner. (no vet/pet shops, but plenty veterinarians available).
Regards
Megan

Hi again
Pedigree dogs are rare here and quite often dogs and cats are eaten, so no animal shelters anywhere. Once in the DRC, post an advertisement on the notice boards at supermarkets to say you want a specific breed of dog, cat, whatever. Expats who leave or move around can often not take their pets back with them and will respond to you if anything is available.
Rgds
Megan

Hello Megan-

Thank you for the information. I was super excited to read about the animals, especially chickens and ducks! Michael can make a mean duck (canard) a l'orange. If it wasn't for him I'd survive on cereal and soup...lol.

Michael is having issues with parting with our French Mastiff (Mars doesn't fair well in heat) so we've decided to bring him with us, as well as our other menagerie members.

Your posts are informative and seriously cut down on apprehension because one knows not where to live unless they learn from others or can research it themselves. As the information on Lubumbashi is scare, at best, this is all the more important because once you commit it is not so easy to change residences.

I look forward to moving to Lubumbashi and to meeting Megan in Africa :-)

Andrea

Hi again
The weather here is not bad, so your dog will be fine! This time of the year is the 'dry season'.  When you fly in it will look like a desert town from the air and quite dusty...but do not despair, the big rain comes from middle October and then it is a green forest as far as you can see. If you guys need a good agent to help look for a house, I can refer you to Yves. Let me know so ling what you are looking for and he can start scouting for you. In GOlf you will not find anything with a pool for under $4000 USD/month and if you need furnished it will be even more.  I know about a huge house with a big garden, it is furnished and has 5 bedrooms and bathrooms, 2 lounges and a good kitchen (very rare here) for $4000 USD, but the road to the house is a bad (only negative). I can also get you a very nice house, fully furnished, in Golf, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, but with small yard (in a nice, quiet road) for $4200. Neither of these have pools but they will be good for the kid and dogs. If you are interested, let me know and I will put you in contact with the owners.
looking forward to meeting you as well :-)

Dear Robert,
Ive just read your post. Did you move to Lubumbashi yet? Did you bring your dog over with you?
We have a job offer in Lubumbashi and having problems to bring our Bull Mastiff over((( could pretty please tell me your story here or drop me a line to [email protected] I would appreciate any information that could help us to bring our pet in with us!
Thanks,
Anna