Safe housing areas/ finding home personnel/ transportation

Greetings all,

We are an American couple moving to DRC by year's end. In trying to locate adequate housing we've come across different quarters, i.e., Boudouin, Golf, Industrial. I've also noticed housing does not appear to come with pools. We've lived in Kitwe, Zambia where most residences had pools, completely walled homes, and taxis nearby if one did not have their own transportation. Where can I find housing? We've discovered IMCONGO and, though not too user friendly, have been able to locate some housing.

Further, I'm interested in purchasing a car. What types of used cars are available and for what price range?

Also, what do the average guards make, house assistants, gardeners? Where can I find qualified personnel?

Lastly, do any of the members have a monthly "gathering" as suggested by Julien (founder)? I would love details because everyone has something to offer (laughs, job networking, advice).

Warmest regards,

Andrea and Michael

hi
please send me a personal mail on [email protected]
I can help you with most of what you want to know about L'ishi but the blog does not allow such a long reply.
Regards
megan

Hi Andrea and Michael,

Welcome on board :D

I suggest you post an advert in the Housing in Lubumbashi section with details of what your looking for please :)

Also if you are looking for cars, I suggest you post an ad, again add details for example what type/year or colour you are looking for in the Cars for sale in Lubumbashi section please. You will able to check and compare prices as well ;)

For qualified personnel.. you should post your advert in the Personal and household services jobs in Lubumbashi :happy:

Best of luck with everything !

Thank you

-----------------------------

Hi megan,

Please feel free to share useful information here on the Forum, as it might be helpful for the other members dealing with the same questions or seeking information :)

P.s - Thank you for your contribution tho ;)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi
I have tried to share all info on the blog, but the blog does not allow such long replies. Maybe a problem with my internet rather, I dont now...
There is not many people in Lubumbashi rea who read the blog, so advertising on it is almost useless. Therefore I suggested the family gets in thouch with me personally to help where I can. I am more than willing to do the same for anybody who has any need for assistance in/about Lubumbashi. I would love to promote the whole of DRC as a tourist destination - there is so much to see if people are willing to come here and ask for assistance :-)
I will try to get back onto the family's request and answer it here on the blog - maybe 3rd time lucky hehehe.
Regards

Housing in Lubumbashi: Please check the ad I have posted regarding 3 bedroom luxury apartments to rent - it might be a good option for you. If you contact me, I will send you the telephone numbers of 4 commissionares (agents) who can assist you in your search. Please note that Golg is the the most popular Expat area, with high walled houses and pools, but also the most expensive - you will not find anything under #3000(USD) in that area, unfurnished, exclusive all services and staff. Everything gets imported here, so to keep a pool is very expensive and therefore they are few and far between. Please also note that when you deal with housing agents, the normal requirements are 3 months rent in advance as deposit/guarantee and 1 months' rent as agents' fee.

Lubumbashi is very safe to stay in , regardless of all the rumours about fighting. There are many security firms in town, but usualy round the clock security is supplied and paid for by the Company that will employ you over here. Cleaning staff, nannies, gardeners, drivers, etc earn on average between $200 and $300 USD/month and receive some meals and clothing from the employers. There are no agencies to supply skilled workers. Word of mouth is the best option or advertising on the bill boards in the local supermarkets.
The same goes for vehicles. It is very expensive and not worth it to import them, but you can buy any make and model Land ruiser, Isuzu or Ford here (there are garages for new vehicles) or if you want second hand cars, look on the bill boards - expats advertise their vehicles when they leave. I hae seen that a 2010 Land Cruiser SUV can cost between $45 000 and $50 000 (USD)
Dogs can be bought on every street corner. Pedigree ones are scarce, but again, you might get one from an expat who is leaving. It is easy to bring your pets into the DRC. They need to have all their injections at least one month before yo come here and they do not have to go into quarantine at all. Tey might be examined by a vet upon arrival.  There are many vets in town.

Social networking is B_I_G in Lubumbashi :-). The best places to meet people are at the cultural clubs (The Greek Club, Belgium Club, Planet Holybum etc). They are all in one area - Av Lubumba near Carrefour. There is also a Golf Club, Horse Riding Club, tennis courts, volley ball, motocross clubs and aqua-aerobics to do. Events in town are usually advertised at these clubs as well. You do not need to be a paid member to go to any of the clubs for meals and drinks and the food in general is quite good. People love parties here and you will soon be invited to as many as you want. Our social life has never been better than here!
The town is constantly expanding, so everything you need can be found here...at a price. Cost of living is extremely high, but if you are not scared to go to the local markets, you can get away with paying far less that at the 'western' style supermarkets.
Please also note that to be able to speak (even a little) French or Swahili is very important. As a 'new face' in town, you will be stopped on every street corner by the traffic police to show your papers, pay bribes etc. Carry small denominations of USD and Franc, never hand over the paperwork (they will grab it and only release it once you pay big amounts) and keep your car doors locked (or they will jump in and say that you are kidnapping them, so PAY!).  Once you realize they don't mean harm and only want some small money to support their family,it becomes easier.  They also recognize you soon enough and leave you alone if you treat them with respect. 
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with :-)

Hi megan,

Fair enough :D

Thank you again for your contribution with those useful information ;)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

HI!

I am from DR Congo (Lubumbashi).
Lubumbashi is one of the place one would love to live. it's safe and the people are  friendly and peaceful.

[Moderated: no free ads pls]

Dear all,

Thank you Meganinafrica for a nice and detailed update about Lubumbashi. Truly helpful!

I'm currently living in Brussels but originally from Stockholm and will most probably move to Lubumbashi during February or March next year if there'll be job opportunities. My partner Johannes (Belgian, not a Swede like me) moved to Lubumbashi two weeks ago for work and we are still looking for an apartment or a house in the Golf area. Confirmed in the previous posts, I believe the Golf area is a good choice for expats. Johannes has someone from an agency helping us in the search, but hasn't found anything that will suit us so far. Just like Andrea and Michael, we have looked at IMCONGO as well. Perhaps someone has other suggestions?

I'm actually visiting Lubumbashi in September already and I will stay for three weeks. The trip will be my first to DR Congo, but surely not the last! As Johannes needs to work during the days, I was wondering if anyone has tips on how to meet other expats? Or do some networking?

During the fall I will start actively looking for a job in Lubumbashi within the NGO sector I suppose (I'm currently working with EU affairs), any suggestions on where to network or look for a job would also be highly welcome.

Regards,

Emelie

Hi Emelie
Welcome to Lubumbashi! Once you arrive, please contact me on [email protected] which will also show my local phone number.  There are a few expat ladies who have coffee together or ladies lunches, to which I will then invite you. For networking, your best bet is to eat out a lot! All the who's who in town go to the restaurants and the most useful ones are Planet Holybum; Bougainvilla Guesthouse; The Belguim Club; The Greek Club; and Latteliscious  or LatteLounge. Also the Karavia Hotel. We have dinner parties all the time, which are also very useful. The social scene here is great and you will fit in quite easily. I can also give you contact details for several agents. It depends on whether you have your own transport or no where you should look. The Town Centre area is also quite good for accommodation and not as expensive as Golf. Let me know what you are looking for and I will in return let you know if there is something available that I know of:-)If I can help with anything else, just shout.
So, see you soon :-)

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your quick answer! I would be delighted to join one of your coffee get to gethers or ladies lunches, getting to know some of you expats :-) I'll email you!

Indeed, the Golf area is quite expensive even though his work pays for it and so far Johannes hasn't found the right place for us. I guess most of the expats lives in the Golf area, right? If so, I would prefer to do so as well. He visited today a really nice house close to the CERCLE HIPPIQUE - good or bad area?

I should probably just shoot you an email as well since I feel like I have thousands of questions already ;-)

He is now staying at the Bougainvilla Guesthouse and will do so until we find something. I'll head down to Lubumbashi 9th of Sept and it would be nice if he could have found something until then. We'll see.

Emelie

Hi Emelie
I will reply on here, because the info can be valuable to others as well and then I will respond to your personal e-mail :-)
Things to know when looking for a house in L'ishi:
a) Most areas are safe to live in and most houses have high walls and security, but the more important issues are the bad roads during the long rainy season and transport to shops and restaurants if you do not have a vehicle and driver available. So make sure the house is on or near a tarred road.
b) Most areas, even Golf, have constant power and water supply issues. You can be without 1 or both for up to a week. So do make sure that when you rent a house there is a back-up generator and water well.
c) The agents do not go out of their way to look for property.  They will show you 3 houses and if you do not sign the deal right away, you never see them again. They will also always show you houses that are in a price bracket between $500 USD and $2000 USD more than what you told them your budget is and tell you there is 'nothing else' available
d) The agents charge 1 months' rent as their fee upon signing of contract. You usually have to pay 2 months' rent as deposit (which you never get back, so make sure you do not pay rent for the last 2 months of your lease agreement hahaha)and you have to pay 1 month's rent in advance. So you are looking at forking out 4 months rent in one go...
e) For most 'new' people it takes a few months to find a place. Mostly because the houses are very bad compared to Western standards and also massively over-priced. Once you get used to having a toilet that does not always flush and rooms having no wardrobes, kitchens without cupboards, then it becomes easier :-)
f) Do not loose hope! There are good places around, but it takes a LOT of time and patience to find. A good option is just to drive around the area that you like and go knocking on doors to ask if the house is available (it cuts out the agent at least)
g) I am thinking of setting up a 'half-way house' for guys like you to use till you find something suitable. To stay in a guesthouse for 2 or 3 months is not only expensive, but it messes with your mind. So anybody who is interested, contact me directly and we can sort something out :-)

Hi all subscribing to this forum
I have decided to start a training facility for home personnel and to supply cleaning, gardening and nanny services to anybody who has the need. I will take in people to train 'off the streets' but will also facilitate with people who have staff on their payroll that needs training. It can be done on their premises or at the school at my house. It starts on 1 September 2013.
I am a qualified Butler and chef's trainer as well has having 30 years International Hospitality, Food safety and Health and safety experience, so you will be in good hands:-)
Contact me via e-mail or on my DRC number +243 974118669

Best regards
Megan

Megan,

Your posts have been very informative and, at times, humorous. Thank you.

We've lived in Zambia and so I understood that once you get used to the idea of getting used to the local way of living the better you'll be. I found out that going to the local markets required quick adjustments, but the shock was soon replaced by the very reasonable prices (after paying too much initially).

I love the information about the social networking. My husband already made a note of it and will be going to the aforementioned places. I will once I settle in (culture-shock and all).

I would love to find help through your service. I will be contacting you and I look forward to it :-)

Your information and guidance is invaluable and I thank you for responding publicly rather than through emails only.

Cheers-
Andrea

Thanks for that Andrea :-) We also lived in Zambia (and Ghana and Tanzania and traveled Africa in our Land Cruiser for about 1 year), but the DRC is in a different league when it comes to tough conditions and our Western Expectations. This is the main reason why I help as much as I can. Let me know when you guys are in town, I will introduce you to the ladies by inviting all to a breakfast or something. If I can help with overnight accommodation for a few days, you will be welcome.
See you soon then!

When it comme to accommodation in Lubumbashi or DRC, please check this:
facebook.com/immokatanga.sprl?fref=ts

For all of you subscribing to this forum, let me share some other points of importance for when you come to the DRC (Lubumbashi0;
1) Make sure that you have contact details for somebody in the DRC written down, especially if you do not speak French/Swahili. You will need the address where you are going to reside, plus at least 2 contact numbers (you are welcome to use mine)
2) Make sure you have the Yellow fever Injection (card)and that you get the injection at least 2 - 4 weeks before you come here.  YOu will not be allowed in if you do not have the card.
3) If you are coming on a Tourist/business visa to start with, make sure it is a MULTIPLE ENTRY one, because even for travel within the DRC you will need to show your passport and have multiple entry status.
4) If you fly anywhere within the DRC/cross any regional boundaries, you will have to show your passport
5) Do not be overly concerned about taking malaria prevention medication. Rather bring good insect repellent - the kind that works like roll-on (the airosol ones sweat off too quickly)- malaria medication is available over the counter at every pharmacy in town
6) Do not bring an arsenal of medication - pharmacies are about the best represented shops in town :-) The pharmacy on Av Revolution (called Pharmacy Av de Revolution, quite appropriately) is excellent and stocks imported medication
7) EVERYTHING is available here...at a price! Once you get over the price shock, you see that paying access baggage prices, etc, are not worth it, since you can find what you need/good substitute if you know where to look
8) The only thing that you will miss is a bookshop (or I do, anyway) so stock up on books and magazines and contact me if you need to change them, because I have started a book exchange.
9) The climate is not bad at all. Do bring a light wrap/ tracksuit top/jacket for the evenings, but the days are generally warm, but not as hot as hell. There is not restriction on what to wear for women, but the culture here is quite conservative, so rather dont wear your shorts and strappy tops in the streets unless you like to be stared and giggled at (which I must admit I do just for a laugh every now an then...)
And that is about it!
HAVE A GOOD DAY

One more thing of interest/importance:
Although the local currency is the Congolese Franc, US Dollar reigns supreme and can be used at the airport (preferred), to shop with, even on the local markets, in restaurants, hotels and to pay membership fees at the sports and cultural clubs.
The exchange rate is somewhere between 9.0 and 9.20, depending on who you deal with. (Roughly 4000FR = $5 USD or about 9000FR = $10 USD )
You do not pay any money when you enter the Country, but you do pay $50 USD when you exit.
At the airport, a whole gaggle of people will want to grab your bags or arrange taxis and tell you you need to pay $10...ignore them! Keep smiling, keep on being very firm, but friendly and pretend you have all under control yourself and they will soon enough get bored and leave you alone.
Nobody is threatening, in fact, they react to YOUR attitude. So if you are friendly, calm cool, collected, you get much further, much quicker than when you come across as being confused and aggressive.
When you drive yourself in town, make sure you have all the paperwork and insurances, check that the dates are valid (not near expiry or expired)have COPIES of all the papers and your drivers license and and the COPIES over when they ask for it or they will hold on to your stuff until you pay them some money. Also have triangles, a reflective vest and a fire extinguisher in the vehicle.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: always wear a safety belt, even when you are a passenger in the back seat!!!!

Hi Megan
U are passing lot of valuable information. can U give me some information to start Garment & textile business in DRC.
I don't know French. I know English. is it OK to communicate with local ?
Mow much expenses to register a general trading license ?
Normally what are the prices for Ladies T-shirt & Shirts and Mens T-shirts & Pants ?
pls send me your mail ID.
Venugopal JM
venumyana at gmail com

I will send you the investment guide for Dr Congo in your email address now.

Steps to
Establishing
an Office
Temporary Work: A foreign company wishing to conduct shortterm operations in Congo is required to register at the Ministry of
Commerce, showing that it has a modest amount of capital in the
form of cash on deposit at a local bank. A foreign firm planning to
work entirely for a company already established in Congo may
temporarily work under the host firm's registry number. If working
for a government agency, the firm may obtain an exemption. Other
laws affecting foreign companies temporarily operating in Congo
are not being enforced.
Congolese Incorporation: A company is legally considered
Congolese if it has been established according to applicable
Congolese legislation, and has its office and principal administrative
establishment in Congo. Its general meeting must be held in
Congo, and its accounting carried out in Congo. The company's
accounting year must coincide with the calendar year. Five types of
companies may exist:
--Société Privée à Responsibilité Limitée (SPRL) : a limited liability
company that combines the character of a partnership and a
corporation. Shares cannot be ceded to persons outside the
company, and the liability of the shareholders is limited to the
nominal value of the shares of each holder. SPRL's are usually
small- and medium-sized businesses.

GOOD MORNING,

i AM A CONGOLESE LIVING IN LUSAKA.MY HUSBAND IS A DOCTOR AND WE ARE HOPING TO GO BACK HOME AND WORK FROM THERE.MY SELF I HAVE WORKED BEFORE IN AT BRALIMA AND AT VODACOM.CAN YOU PLEASE TELL AS WHEN YOU WILL HEAR ABOUT A JOB? mY E-MAIL IS [email protected]

Hi Mamy check this website: indeed.co.za and create an alert. Do the same at Jobs4Mining.com

Hope you will get something Soon,

Hi mamydijuul,

Please can you avoid posting in caps lock, your text will be more reader friendly. :)

Thank you,

David.

Hi Mamy
Indeed and indeed any other recruitment agency outside of the DRC do not post many postings in the DRC. Although it is worth a try do do anything possible, your best bet is to get here first and then look for a job.  Here 'who you know' count lots more than 'what you know'.  You have to network, sell yourself and get into contact with the right people to make it possible. But as an ex-Congolese you should know that even better than me. 
Good luck in your search and let me know if I can assist once you are in Lubumbashi
Rgds
megan

thank you

Hi Alfa
could you mail to me the investment guide too on [email protected]. Regards
Georg

georg mutu wrote:

Hi Alfa
Georg

You are posting on a thread that as been inactive since 2013 so do not expect a reply..... :(

Hello Mr Robert!

I would like to help you. I have a house to rent and it is situated at 10 min of the centre of Lubumbashi. 

I can arrange to find qualified gardener and house assistant for you. And please feel free to contact me in inbox if you are interested in the offer.

Hope you will have great time in Lubumbashi

Regards!
Rozlyn

stumpy wrote:
georg mutu wrote:

Hi Alfa
Georg

You are posting on a thread that as been inactive since 2013 so do not expect a reply..... :(

Hello Rozlyn,

Kindly refer to the quoted message above.

I would suggest that you post your advert in our Housing section below :

> Housing in Lubumbashi

Thank you,
Gavind

Oh okay! I see :)  Thank you!

Come to katanga i am a barber there 😉