Got an offer from a company located in Nairobi

Hi

Currently i am working as a Project Manager (Civil) in india and i got an offer from a company located in Nairobi. I got this offer through a consultant who is saying that initially I have to work in nairobi for 4 to 5 months on visiting visa then they will provide
Work permit.(consultant said that this is the process for Kenya)
Is it OK.

Can any body help in this regard at the earliest. So that I can proceed further.

Regards
Degendra

Hi Degendra,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Nairobi Forum

I'm sure you will soon get some feedback the informations you are seeking :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Please be aware that if you work on a visitors visa, you will be breaking the law (All work, paid or unpaid is prohibited).  You cannot assume that you will not be reported to Immigration (by some jealous person).  Immigration can and do come down very heavily on illegal workers, especially when you consider that Kenya has a huge problem with unemployment.

I am afraid that your consultant is incorrect.  The process is for a job offer to be made and for the company to apply for your work permit, giving reasons why the post cannot be filled locally.  Once the permit is agreed and issued, the fee is paid and then your passport is endorsed.  You then register as an alien and obtain an ID card (a requirement for any foreigner who will be in Kenya for over 90 days). 

Work permits are usually valid for two years, at a cost of Kes 100 000 per annum.  The application process can proceed whether or not you are in Kenya and I believe takes 3 - 4 months.  You have no right to stay beyond the scope of your visitors visa, while waiting for a work permit.

Hi Degendra,

Same here even i got an offer letter from Indian based company located in Mombasa, the same process was explained to me also. Pls contact me on my number: [Moderated: please use private message system.] if your are still in india.

Even im travelling in the month of August.

Gentlemen,
Let me explain.

You can enter kenya on a Visit visa but your company has to apply for a Special Pass.
The Special is valid for 3 months but can be renewed once for another 3 months.

When the Special Pass endorsement is made in your passport, your company should initiate the Work Permit processing

The Work Permit processing can take anywhere from 1 month (in my case) to 2 to 3 months (in several of my colleagues's cases).

The Work permit is stamped for a period of 2 years and the Kenyan Immigration authorities for this permit is 400,000 KSH. (Class D Immigration status is what its referred to as technically).

And yes working on a visit visa is illegal and can get you into trouble.

If in doubt, write back to me and I will explain in more detail.

Thanks,
Pradeep

Yes, apologies, the fees have (fairly recently) increased.  I have pasted the link, below:

http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php? … Itemid=127