What kind of lifestyle will $5000.USD/mo. afford in the Philippines?

Difficult to "island hop & move around" if you've committed to buying a house and end up with the neighbors from hell.!
If you're asking what properties you need to build - you dont really know your market do you Mr hobby developer? This post was about affordability for US$5K pm - he can live well and only ever need commit to a annual lease - job done.
Who in their right mind wants to buy a house on land they can't own? The whole Asian property market is massively over valued and the Peso has lost value consistently this year. Why 'import' large sums of capital into a corrupt system where even the Banks will only guarantee 500K Peso? As for foreign condo ownership - just Google all the crap owners have to content with there and you will soon get the real picture ;) lol.

My dear original poster. Enjoy your US$5K pm. You only need about US3K pm in most provinces to live handsomely without worry. If your health ever fails - you can simply LEAVE with nothing more than a car/bike/belongings to sell - KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Don, you can have ALL of the things you mentioned living in a place like Dumuagete, where real estate and other some of the other costs are a fraction of what they are in Manila, with the added bonus of much less pollution...
Now, I've as yet to visit the fair country of Philippines but I've been researching and exploring all the possibilities for several years and to date can only speak on the authority of what other expats are saying...

from what I can see from waaaaaaaay across the waters is that living in Makati and comparing it to other places in the Philippines is like living in New York or Los Angeles and comparing it to living in a smaller yet comfortable city in the midwest for example...
It's all relative and certainly, even $50,000 USD could be blown on a monthly budget in Philippines or elsewhere-depending on the lifestyle you wish to enjoy...
All in all, from everything I've seen and heard from people already living there, in fairly modern and well equipped cities such as Dumagete, Cebu, etc, one can live VERY high on $5,000 USD per month.... Some are living quite happily on one tenth of that,  but again, it all depends on what you want-do you want to live a quiet island lifestyle or merely import downtown New York to where ever your destination is?

I recently moved from dumaguete.. was there for about a year. ur right.. less pollution and its cheaper than manila, but since there are a lot of expats living there, the rents are still much higher than in other provinces. I paid 12k for a home in dumaguete and now I pay 4k for a similar home in northern Mindanao. not many expats here yet, but im sure they will get wind of the cheap land here (from 150 p per sqm - 1000p per sqm).. and the rents are from 3k - 15k for a luxurious home

Were I live I spend U.S. $2,000 a month U.S. Have more but can't spend it. 2 bedroom in gated subdivision with pool basket ball court and park for kids. 2 airconditioners in home. I eat native but very well Native, Go out 1 time a week to expat group. And other trips as well A good life of a prince. I could live like a king here on $3,000 but not my stile.  A day out 75 peso down road on the local bus 3 hours ride, Jump off and walk to small town beach 10 peso. eat light lunch 100 peso fish and rice. set on beach till sun is right then swim out till water turns cool and float swim back to beach, Shower then walk to town and threw there market, walk to dock and watch fishing boats unload nets, walk back to main road and have icecream 50 peso splurged there. Bus back to home just getting dark 75 peso. Jeepney to my corner 6 peso then grilled pork,soup rice, 150 peso I was hungery. 5 peso home from there on trike. 471 peso day or around $11 U.S. That is a full day out and about.  Hair cut & shave 60 peso and 10 peso tip I have a trained barber who cuts it just my way for that.  But if you want to live a true American lifesile here. It will cost more than in America as well. Imports are high here.  I shop the Market here there are 2 big ones for produce and my fish. All you want in farm fresh produce there. The rest I buy at Save More it is close to were I live and I walk there taxi back. Now I could go to Robinsons market and buy all imported food as well here. So like like a local king here on that maid and all yard done and such. Or lower middle class American if you have to have all imported food and cloths.

You can live very well on 5000 per month in many places in the world, my friend.  You can live well in a provincial city or town in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, France, Eastern Europe.  You can live very well in the USA or Canada for that amount in a small city or towns across them both.  So, I would say, if you are precluding these places, then you can live easily in the Philippines.  Don't worry about the cost of living in Manila or Makati because if you are thinking of retiring to those places and are willing to pay the high cost of living there, it shows you have done little thinking about your move.  Why would you want to live in one of these places when for the amount it will cost you for luxury living there, you can stay in a Western city for the same thing?  If you have that kind of income, then there is really no reason to go Makati or Manila to live.  Stay in the Western World. If you want to use your income to raise the standard of your  living, then move to a place in the provinces of the Philippines where you can get million dollar ambiance as context to your nice life-style for the amount you have.

expat1 wrote:

Just trying to learn cost of living standards in real terms verses the western countries.  I see some of these costs (real estate, domestic help, etc...) online. What about utility costs, health insurance, medical care, automobile expenses, taxes, vistas, etc...?  I would appreciate any assistance.  Referrals to books, web sites, blogs or direct answers to any of these expenses. 

Thank you very much.....................

You are a MILLIONAIRE....WELCOME :o)

I was living on $4300 in the US and believe me I thought I had it good until I came here....I"M RICH....hehehe

You can afford anything you want. Just don't ever share with your Philippine friends your salary. They get one fiftieth of what you get. most live on 10,000 peso a month and your getting 200,000 +    so be careful who knows your worth .

sirrobcentral wrote:
expat1 wrote:

Just trying to learn cost of living standards in real terms verses the western countries.  I see some of these costs (real estate, domestic help, etc...) online. What about utility costs, health insurance, medical care, automobile expenses, taxes, vistas, etc...?  I would appreciate any assistance.  Referrals to books, web sites, blogs or direct answers to any of these expenses. 

I was living on $4300 in the US and believe me I thought I had it good until I came here....I"M RICH....hehehe

You can afford anything you want. Just don't ever share with your Philippine friends your salary. They get one fiftieth of what you get. most live on 10,000 peso a month and your getting 200,000 +    so be careful who knows your worth .

Filipinos knew your earnings as expats.... and expect how they love and respect you as it is a norm who ever is inclined in the society would expect and deserve higher respect.

Did you noticed that there are around 15 Million Filipinos working abroad.. 15 Million population it represents a country. Millions of them are in the United Stated earning as much as  other Americans... Most of them are medical practitioners (Doctors, Nurses and other Professionals) Earning $5000 USD -up a month but there are also several domestic helpers in Singapore and Saudi Arabia earning at least $450 USD a month..

All of Filipinos working in the other country, they are Millionaires back in the Philippines.. and its no longer a secret but considering the cost of living in the Philippines is very low then expect also a very low salary... Everybody must be familiar how economy works and what is the formula in it.. [The higher the cost of living, the higher the salary required]

When I was in Paris France,  3 slices of bread plus vege salad would cost $80 US dollars or around ₱3,600.00 Philippine Peso...  well that's France... The Standard, the cost of living in France is high...  if you will buy 3 slices of bread plus vege salad in the Philippines the price would be only a maximum of $3 Dollars or around ₱140.00 Pesos. so see the difference...

Did you ever get the houses build for retirees in the Philippines?

Hello,
Quick question. I'm from the US and thinking about looking for property in the Philippines. Can anyone buy a house and land there? What would one acre or a 1/2 acre with a small house on it cost. I'm wanting away from town. Village area. 
Thanks

i live on a small island.. i bought 600square meters (6000 sqf) along the highway for 350,000 pesos.. there is land that is cheaper off the highway road.. (250 peso sqm).. a simple native home will cost about 300,000 pesos - 400,000 pesos to build.. an all concrete home will cost from 300,000 and up depending on ur needs

there will be people tell you that you cannot own land here.. but there are several ways around it.. i put my land in my childs name.. but you can also lease the land for 50 years.. and a few other ways around it. with this new president, he is loosening the requirements for expats.. so, i think in the near future an expat will be allowed to own land in his own name up to a certain square footage

Hi Tommyboy where abouts are you in Mindano ? as thats very cheap rent i pay more than double that in Bohol ??

im on camiguin island.. i have the land but didnt build on it yet.. rent is so cheap here. i pay 6000 a month for a 4 bedroom 4 bath home.. fully furnished and fenced.. on the highway.. all concrete..  i used to live in tagbilaran and my rent for a 1 bedroom apt was 11k.

Thanks for your kind reply mate we will definatley come over there and have a look !!

To the guy on $5k usd per month in phil ever heard the term rockstar lifestyle lol

sooooo many advises mmmmmm
i can give you only 1 advise ,come to the Philippines and spend lets say one yr here .look around ,DO NOT  tel you have such monthly inkome ,that wood be a giant mistake ,behave modest , be polite and  talk to ppl .start reeding posts on this site and you wil learn alredy some very inportand things ,like foreigners are NOT alowed to own land .
before investing (foreigners are not alowed to own a busenis) do not think twice but many many long times .
be aware of ppl willing to help spending your money ,in general Philippino ppl are honest but not all (just as in the rest of the world )
to be honest ,i think you alredy started very badly by telling your inkome here ,5000$ is a lot of money here and atrakt the atention of ppl you realy dont want to be interested in you.
am sure to have stept on some toos now ,but ,a warned man is worth two.
also be aware that some expats wil strip you financialy as fast as they can haha as i sayed before dishonest ppl one can find all over the world

greets Dirk

prince_denison wrote:
sirrobcentral wrote:
expat1 wrote:

Filipinos knew your earnings as expats.... and expect how they love and respect you as it is a norm who ever is inclined in the society would expect and deserve higher respect.

Did you noticed that there are around 15 Million Filipinos working abroad.. 15 Million population it represents a country. Millions of them are in the United Stated earning as much as  other Americans... Most of them are medical practitioners (Doctors, Nurses and other Professionals) Earning $5000 USD -up a month but there are also several domestic helpers in Singapore and Saudi Arabia earning at least $450 USD a month..

All of Filipinos working in the other country, they are Millionaires back in the Philippines.. and its no longer a secret but considering the cost of living in the Philippines is very low then expect also a very low salary... Everybody must be familiar how economy works and what is the formula in it.. [The higher the cost of living, the higher the salary required]

When I was in Paris France,  3 slices of bread plus vege salad would cost $80 US dollars or around ₱3,600.00 Philippine Peso...  well that's France... The Standard, the cost of living in France is high...  if you will buy 3 slices of bread plus vege salad in the Philippines the price would be only a maximum of $3 Dollars or around ₱140.00 Pesos. so see the difference...

3 slices of bread plus vege salad 80$????? man were did you buy that at that price ?was the bread covered with caviar ????? i have been many many times in Paris ,lived 2 hr drive from it and never payed those prices ,not even in le moulin rouge,and that's an expensive place hahahahahahahahahaha

Maybe you just want us to know you have this amount to live on cos I can't believe you are serious

Dickyper wrote:

Maybe you just want us to know you have this amount to live on cos I can't believe you are serious

LOLLLLLLLL

On $5,000 a month you will live very well. Or about the same as in America. If you shop at the Malls not that much difference. Eat imported food might pay more.  Need a American car?  Expect to pay big. My expense has gone up here. But I moved from a 2 bedroom to a 4 bedroom & much larger house. For only 3,000 piso a month more but great house. My electric went up. But I bought a deepfreeze. Bigger airconditiones in bigger home. So utilities are now up to around $225 a month U.S.  About the same as I would pay in America. When you add in gas for heat all winter. In my home there. So I am up around $2500 a month in cost. That includes maid & girlfriend her child also.  I do shop at the market, buy cloths on sale do not buy much from the big mall. Or eat imported food. We cook at home for most all. Have maid to cook.  I have to admit I am getting cheap rent here.  but outside the city a little & this is not Manila. As they tell you look for towns under a million to save money.

tommieboy999 wrote:

there will be people tell you that you cannot own land here.. but there are several ways around it.. i put my land in my childs name.. but you can also lease the land for 50 years.. and a few other ways around it. with this new president, he is loosening the requirements for expats.. so, i think in the near future an expat will be allowed to own land in his own name up to a certain square footage

:offtopic: I appreciate what you say, but the reason why "there are people who tell you that you cannot own land in the Philippines is because...." Legally - you CANNOT! That is a [basic] fundamental truth. Sure, you can setup a shell company (storing up several potential longer term tax pitfalls) and/or place it your partner/childs name - but land cannot be owned by a foreigner outright. And a lease is a lease etc etc. It isn't freehold.

As for the "new president" loosening the requirements for expats - like what? Hoping for foreigners to be able to own a [limited] amount of land is a pipe dream. The worry of increasing land prices as a result of foreign investment stops most Asian countries allowing such a thing to happen. It will remain a closed market for many years.

Anyway.. This is all "off topic" as the thread is about living on $5,000PM - which as we all know is quite easy in the Philippines unless you are a complete idiot.

You will do good on $5000 USD/mo. I live in a town 150,000 population and have a nice 3 BR apartment, great auto, eat out often, run the AC almost all day, and have all luxuries for a comfortable life. We spend $1500 USA/mo for basic living. It cost some money to get started for purchase of auto, furniture and getting established.

putting land in your childs name means it is yours.. since your child is a part of you... if you dont give your land to your own flesh and blood, who will you give it to?

Yep. Can't argue with that. Apart from the inevitable inheritance risks of (i) young & foolish (ii) gold-digging 'extended family' coming begging at their door. But that is pure conjecture and hypothesis.

What's is the date of the latest post here?
Seems it's several years old

last post was less than a month ago

greets Dirk

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment
barkz wrote:

Barkz,

To what post are you referring. PLEASE don't get personal.

Regards,

Teejay

Hehe, love these post. Enjoy the Philippines..

I am 100% DAV plus SS... Totalling 4500 US per month... Rarely do I have to touch anything more than 1500/mos. Understand I'm in a 2br condo and alone... If I  had a wife and kids then double that cost.

Open a bank account here for saving only... Get a PayPal account and relax. As far as investing.... WTHF what the hell for?

Retirement is about enjoying the spoils not trying to create wealth. If you  are trying to be wealthy by running a business or trying to increase profits.... You should be in a western nation...Third World countries are not the way to go. They are Third World for a reason... IJS

I live with my partners family at the moment ,the are all famers rice,mangos.lm planing to start  small busines ,producing duck eggs and leasing a rice field . Also buying a old house and renevating it .

Well everyone I know for myself what that amount will get you. Moved here 2 years ago.

I have found somethings are cheap here and some expensive ( new vehicle vat tax 30-40%), your home countries food. Most other things are fairly inexpensive.

$5k a month = you're going to be asked to be godparents for everybody's child in a small barangay..... just saying! :lol:

flipicaneze wrote:

$5k a month = you're going to be asked to be godparents for everybody's child in a small barangay..... just saying! :lol:

That's for sure! $5k per month is far more than would be needed to live a very comfortable lifestyle. This is especially true once out of Manila and surrounding towns. Many people live and even raise a family on $1,000us dollars or less per month and do just fine. Main thing is, once here, do not let others know of your income level. The value of human life here is quite low and you want to remain safe.

Navajo52

Navajo52 wrote:
flipicaneze wrote:

That's for sure! $5k per month is far more than would be needed to live a very comfortable lifestyle. This is especially true once out of Manila and surrounding towns. Many people live and even raise a family on $1,000us dollars or less per month and do just fine. Main thing is, once here, do not let others know of your income level. The value of human life here is quite low and you want to remain safe.

Navajo52

I was hoping the OP got where i was heading with that. 😉

Yea, He might get it if he had spent a good amount time here in the islands or knows people that live here. It can be a tough adjustment for the first year or so of living here.

I moved from Chicago 6 months ago. Although I have 20 in-stamps on my passport since 2004, I'm still adjusting. You can easily blow $5k on stupid crap in one month.

The real secret to living well as an expat is to think like a Filipino and stop thinking "Well in the United States this costs this much and it's much less here when I convert PHP to USD." That opens you up to being ripped off, even if it does costs far less in your country of origin.

Learn to spend like a local and negotiate like a local, you can live on much less and even more comfortably. Know what things actually cost here and not worry what it cost everywhere else in comparison.

flipicaneze wrote:

I moved from Chicago 6 months ago. Although I have 20 in-stamps on my passport since 2004, I'm still adjusting. You can easily blow $5k on stupid crap in one month.

The real secret to living well as an expat is to think like a Filipino and stop thinking "Well in the United States this costs this much and it's much less here when I convert PHP to USD." That opens you up to being ripped off, even if it does costs far less in your country of origin.

Learn to spend like a local and negotiate like a local, you can live on much less and even more comfortably. Know what things actually cost here and not worry what it cost everywhere else in comparison.

There is a way to transfer money that is faster than electronic banking---it's called Marriage!

While funny, it has worked to my/our advantage. My wife and I have been married for over 14 years and have lived here in the Philippines the entire time. Also, for almost that entire time all our finances (what she earns at her full time job as well as my pensions from the US) are in her care completely.

I have found that with her taking care of the bills, kids, and school needs, and all other expenses we do much better than if I were to do these things. These people know how to get the most bang for the buck and can out-do us without a doubt.
Important though is to marry the "right one" or that advise will quickly work in reverse..

This helps me. Mind you I am from USA. I look at P1000 as $100.00, P500 as $50.00, P200 as $25.00. P100 as &10.00.

Thinking of pesos like that keeps me on track