Rental Costs in Iceland

Hello!

My partner and I are planning to move to Reykjavik in 2015 for 18 months, possibly to stay for good.  I'm doing lots of research and planning well in advance so that we know what we're doing when the time comes.  My question is about renting an apartment.  I've found listings etc and know where I can find places etc but I'm just wondering about fees etc.  In England you have fees for using an agency, they charge you admin fees and a deposit etc.  I was wondering if on an advert in Iceland if it says the rent is 140,000 kr, if there are any other fees that i'd have to pay on top of that.  I understand some include utilities, is this a general normal thing?

Also my other question is about actually renting.  I would prefer to have my accommodation set up before we move, is it possible to set it up from England and then move straight there?  I know about the dreaded ID number you have to obtain to do anything, can this be arranged prior to arrival or would we have to stay in a guesthouse for the first few weeks?  We'd be planning to pay at least 3 to 6 months rent in advance to give us chance to get a job and start supporting ourselves, is this something that is accepted also?

I hope someone can help me, i've been emailing companies and all sorts and not got any answers as of yet :-)

Many thanks
Laura

I dont' know anyone who's renting places in what seems like your target price range who goes through an agency. Almost all the rental properties in Iceland are privately owned- there isn't really such thing there as entire apartment blocks owned by a a management company that rents them out.

You sometimes have to have some months rent as a security deposit up front, but there won't be some kind of council tax or anything extra. Utilities are additional but might be included in some rentals. In the 8 years I lived in Iceland, I only paid utilities separately in one apartment.

Given that the rentals are usually done directly with the owner, the flexibility and willingness to rent to someone who's not in Iceland or with Icelandic ID can vary greatly. I've lived in places that varied from the strictest max upfront deposit, Icelandic rental contract, 3 months notice if you leave the apartment to one with no deposit, verbal contract, and a month's notice (granted, from someone I knew well already).

If you're looking to fly by the seat of your pants, it might be easier if you move late summer/early fall when the craziness of summer rentals is over. Anyone who wants to make a buck tries to rent out to tourists over the summer months.

One final note: you say you're looking at 2015. Icelanders are not generally huge advance planners so you'll probably have a hard time securing something anytime soon. Also, inflation is crazy bad there so prices you see now are likely to be quite different by then. For example, a place that I rented in 2009 cost 90000isk then is now going for 140000isk.

Hi ECS,

We are looking at around July 2015 to move but could stretch it to August if necessary.  I'm not trying to get an apartment sorted now for then, just find out what the procedure is so i can sort it easier nearer the time, we need to save up first :-)

You've given me some good information, thank you.