Insurance and prescription medication

Hi all,

I will be moving to Myanmar in a few weeks and in need of some guidance! I am from the US, and will be working as a consultant -- therefore will need to purchase a private insurance plan that will cover me in Myanmar.

The BIG problem is that I can't seem to find an insurance company that covers prescription medications (taken on a regular basis, not just for emergencies) -- International SOS and similar companies exclude this and as well as any preexisting condition coverage.

What insurance companies are people using that cover for this? Names of specific international plans or US-based plans with this kind of long-term overseas coverage for prescriptions would be extremely helpful!!

Thanks,
G

I'm looking for the same information.  If you find out something, could you please let me know at my email address ([email protected]).  I check the blog on a regular basis but you may find out something along the way that's not posted.  I'd sure appreciate it.  And if I find out something I'll share it with you.:)

You will not find a medical insurance plan that covers regular prescription medicines .
They will cover you for medicines needed for recovery from an illness or medical treatment that they have covered you for and that they have paid for under the medical plan.

Hi burmabound,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to contact our partners for a free quote and advice simply by clicking on this link : Expatriate health insurance Myanmar

Thank you :)

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thank you for your reply.  I'm wondering how available some medications are through pharmacy in order to purchase for myself.  It's quickly becoming necessary for me to do that right her in the states.  They probably won't cover someone who's already diagnosed with an ongoing illness then?  My husband is over 75 and we've read that overseas insurance won't be written on someone his age.  I have a degenerative nerve disease and I need a wheelchair for extended outings.  I take pain meds (morphine) and some nerve prescriptions.  Any knowledge of the availability through pharmacies for such medications?

Any and all information is needed on these subjects.  They won't be covered here in the States for long either so cost is the important thing.

Thank you again for your help.

Hi Happy Traveller,

Most of the medication you can buy at the counter and don't need prescription.
But the problem is that it is very hard to find original Brand. Mostly from India, Thailand and China.
The contents will be slight different.
So if you on medicaiton for long term, pls bring over enough for you at least last you a year.
My dad is on medication some of the medicine we can't use those that can get in Myanmar so we have to import form Ausi.
Insurance terms is very very uncommon in Myanmar and 99% of ppl doesn't have any types insurance.
So you can't rely on them.
Hospital there sucks.
One thing I hated the most is some of the doc you may even need to wait for them until midnight in order to see them.
Quite a no of doc from Singapore, Thailand and India fly in every month to see patients in Myanmar.
And they charge pretty resonable around U$ 35-50 per consultation...
You can check out with Pun Hlaing, Victoria and other private Hospitals.
Good luck

Very useful info, Tks.

Drugs you can buy over the counter are normally not covered, while prescribed drugs are generally covered as long as it is not related to a pre-existing condition. Any cost related to pre-existing condition is not covered, unless with special negotiation and arrangement.

You may want to check to see if your insurance in the US offers international prescription coverage. For example, Expatps.com is a company that ships medications direct to you in most parts of the world. You just need a prescription written in English. Even if your company does not offer international prescription drug coverage, Expatriate Prescription Services can process an order for you and get you your medications. You can even order online.

I hope they can help you if you have not found a better solution!