School

Hi

My husband maybe getting a transfer to work in Jubail.  I have a few questions if anyone can help regarding school and compounds in either Bahrain or Jubail.  Coming from Australia we would prefer to send him to a British school as the schooling is very similar to Australian standards.

I like change and have no problems with experiencing new things.  My problem is our son has High Functioning Autism.  He is very clever and good with change.  Just has a little repeative behaviour.  He is 5 (in a couple of days)and would start school here in Australia next year (school runs from Jan-Dec) in prep class. We still do Speech and Occupational Therapy, so I guess my question is; Are these theraphies available in these places?  And are the school equip for children with Autism?  I will be there to support like I have in the past 2 years with his Early Learning support program - ECDP (Early Childhood Development Program).

Also if anyone could tell us a little bit more about the compounds and what is there. How big are the compounds? What's available for Wife/Ladies to do?  Whats great about living there? What's not?  Access to Skype/internet/phone. What to bring?  Anything you feel is important that would be great.  Still  trying to make a decision of whether we will accompany my husband, which is really important for my son. 

Anything would be great.

Thanks in advance
Sue

Also can you bring pet over?

Hi Sykesey!

Welcome to Expat.com!
I hope the forum members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Hi

My husband works in Jubail and we live in Bahrain.  He says he absolutely would not have us living there - its a very industrial and dirty city.  If you do want to live in Saudi then it would be better to look at Khobar/Dammam although of course, your husband's company may be strict on where you can live.

There are 3 British Schools in Bahrain for your son's age group, Nadeen, British School of Bahrain and St Christopher's.  They all have websites and I would recommend you get in touch with each of them to enquire about their ability to help your son.  I know that St Chris and BSB will ask your son to complete an entrance exam as they are selective schools.  There is also a school called The Children's Academy which deals specifically with children with additional needs so it may be worth speaking with them to see what they recommend.

I hope that helps.