What should i do? :S

Hello :)
I'm a student and will be coming to Hanoi for student exchange. So its gonna be some exciting new adventure for me but yet im too nervous and anxious about it.

Is there anything that I should and Shouldnt do during my first  arrival in Hanoi?? Feels like a lost kid :/

Irah,

Leave your ethnocentric tendencies behind.  They are not good to lug around with you anywhere, let alone to a place where the social and political cultures are as unique as Vietnam.

Not to worry, though.  I am certain the people at your host school will make you feel welcome.

If anything, you can come onto here, and these guys will help you out.  There are some very capable folks on here.

Best,
Howie

Thank you for the advice.

What worry me the most is how am i gonna survive crossing the road? I did some research on this but not very much of a help.
Any tips?

:lol:

I was feeling the same way, when I first arrived in Vietnam.  This is how I solved that:

I went down to my hotel lobby, in my second aftertoon (the least busy time of day in Vietnam).  I located the security guard and offered him 50 thousand Dongs (Today.  That would be around 200 thousand.), and asked him to show me how to cross the street.

He walked me across and back once, showing me the importance of keeping a steady pace and always looking at the oncoming traffic.  Then, I asked him to cross with me again, except allow me to take the lead...  Finally, I asked the guy to help keep an eye on me, as I crossed it by myself.

The guy stepped out with me every time I attempted to cross the street for a couple of days, afterward, and I was on my way. 

Not only I was able to learn an important aspect of Vietnamese life, but I also made a friend, in a very strategic area of my life.

Until this day, he and I still talk about that lesson, whenever we sit down for coffee or beer.

So, don't sweat it.  Just remember, there are nearly 100 million people who do it everyday.  There is no way for you to be any less than them, unless you want to...

Best,
Howie

relax, enjoy be careful most important , get out and meet people best wishes for your stay

You don't need to worry much about Vietnam road traffic!
Just cross carefully. Don't run fast. Just wave your hand to show them that you are crossing if there is no 'zebra line'. Anyway,wait for pedestrian crossing signal. If no signal just wait some time to get less traffic.Here, most of the drivers are vigilant on road! Have a nice time in Ha Noi!

Vietnam is peace....but Warning: You need to careful with ur wallet, bag and phone when you walk on the street.

Yuli

Thanks for the advices. :D
Feels ready for the adventure!:cool:

please DONT cross the streets....
it takes ages to uncross them.

put your hand up.
look at the oncoming traffic.
start walking slowly and steadily acoss to the other side.
(RUN AND YOU KNOCK THE POOR MOTORCYCLIST)
sigh a big breathe of relieve after you have crossed safely.
turn around and do it again till you can do that blindfolded.
:dumbom:

The local currency is VN Dong
USDee and you get charged 3x!

Crossing the road is easier than it looks. I would advise you to take a little time to watch how people do it, then you can follow someone across to see how it feels. It may be a good idea to do it on a small street by yourself first before moving on to a large street by yourself.

Go slow and with the flow, no sudden movements.

:sleep

More questions to come...sorry:P:

What is the average living expenses in Hanoi per month?  How much money should a student have in order to survive?

How much money should I spare in my pocket?

What is the best option, carrying cash or just use card?

Sorry for asking too many questions. :D

walk slowly, straight and try not to stop. Look them in the eyes to see if they see you.

The motorbikes and cars will adjust and go around you.

It depends on your spending nature!Below 100.000($5) VND enough for 1 day food.
Better keep both money and ATM card. When money finish or some places you can use card to pay :D

Irah wrote:

What is the average living expenses in Hanoi per month?  How much money should a student have in order to survive?

Try this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com

good one stumpy, thanks

Thank you for the link.:)
I thought it is safer to carry cards around compare to cash. I guess i need both.

Thank you again. I think I'm ready for Vietnam. Looking forward for a new adventure in Hanoi. Wish me luck!! :D

Wild_1 wrote:

I went down to my hotel lobby...I located the security guard and offered him 50 thousand Dongs...and asked him to show me how to cross the street.

He walked me across and back once, showing me the importance of keeping a steady pace and always looking at the oncoming traffic.  Then, I asked him to cross with me again, except allow me to take the lead...  Finally, I asked the guy to help keep an eye on me, as I crossed it by myself.

The guy stepped out with me every time I attempted to cross the street for a couple of days, afterward, and I was on my way.

Hey Howie did you ever see the movie "What about Bob?" starring Bill Murray?

Baby steps lol...

I guess I've been doing it wrong. What I do is bring a chicken and send him out there first. If the chicken lives I know traffic isn't too bad that day and it's safe to cross the street.

If the chicken dies I don't cross the street that day.

Hi friend,
cross the way is not too difficult, but NEED be very careful because drivers in Viet Nam are very careless.:P. I think you should do with a friend before go alone. Remember look around the oncoming vehicles and wave up your hand. Its better you walk on street side and cross a the corner where you can see the light (red).
The expense will be based on your need, 150.000 VND/day is enough for food and coffee, travel (taxi or bus - 5 000/ticket). When you go ouside, you sould take the cash for daily fees, and take credit card when enter supermarket or big shop, shopping center..we often pay by cash than credit card. Many place, you even cant find an ATM  to have money.
Anyway, which university you will study? if u need any support, feel free contact me via skype legiang88.
Have a good trip :)

Hello!
1. Be careful of the TAXI DRIVERS here,if they see you that you're just new here they will roam you around before you get to your destination.
2. Don't talk to strangers or people who needs your help, just ignore them.
3. Yes! Be careful on the streets because some of drivers here are insane(Sorry for the word), even though the signal is STOP they just don't care. (Look left and right)
4. Your belongings(Be Careful)

I hope this will help you! :)

Nam_ wrote:

I guess I've been doing it wrong. What I do is bring a chicken and send him out there first. If the chicken lives I know traffic isn't too bad that day and it's safe to cross the street.

If the chicken dies I don't cross the street that day.

CHICKEN?!!! Feel bad for the chicken.

mab0918 wrote:

Hello!
1. Be careful of the TAXI DRIVERS here,if they see you that you're just new here they will roam you around before you get to your destination.
2. Don't talk to strangers or people who needs your help, just ignore them.
3. Yes! Be careful on the streets because some of drivers here are insane(Sorry for the word), even though the signal is STOP they just don't care. (Look left and right)
4. Your belongings(Be Careful)

I hope this will help you! :)

You mean taxi scam?

Hello gianglegiang,

Thanks for the info. :D

So how do the locals interact with the foreigns? Does wearing bright cloths really help while crossing the road? ( seems like a silly question but we never know if its really help :) )

just gives them better target

You just be carefull when buying something in the market if they dont glue the price on goods because many local people often increase the price to foreigners. You need to bargain to seller to buy them with a lower price (reduce 15-30%). wearing bright clothes is great idea, but not really in need. :)

Taxi scam? May be! HAHA. I hope you get my point! :)

yep! i got it! u r right! :D

Sorry for asking too many questions.

It depend on your target!
If you want to rent cheap apartment, it's about 300-400$/month. the medium is about 500$-700$/month, and the luxury is over 1000$/month.
If your want to rent, I can help you. When will you come to Hanoi? and what region will you stay in Hanoi? what is your university?
Cost of living in Vietnam, I think it's cheap.

h2o_vd

This website should give you an idea of living costs www.numbeo.com