Indian IT guy moving to KL - RM10K

Hello Friends,

I would be moving to KL in Aug'13 and will have office around Jalan Dewan Bahasa or near the Hang Tuah station.

Can you please help me in clearing few doubts?

1. Is KL safe place to move for a couple where the wife is home-maker and will have to stay alone for most part of the day and go for shopping of daily households alone? - The reason I ask is that I've found lots of blogs for 2013 where people have mentioned their bad experiences and have asked others not to move to KL.So as Indians or Expats what would you guys suggest?

2. Suggest some safe areas near my office area for renting a house and range of rent I can expect there. We are pure vegetarians(Jain) and would like to know if there is some nearby area to my office which can also fulfill this requirement.

3. How to search for houses in safe areas - some agents and how much do they charge or some site where I can save the agent fee?
Is is better to have a fully-furnished or unfurnished house?

4. My company won't be providing me any initial accommodation (- which is very strange for me as in India every new company which I joined atleast provided 1 week accommodation initially) - can you suggest some hotel or sites for service apartments for my initial stay in KL till I search for house?

Please do provide some other suggestions which you deem helpful for us.

TIA!
Regards,
Ashish

hi ashish,

my 2 cents here. kl is not the safest place in the world. but if u r careful, u will b fine. i follow some simple rules - live in a condo which has good security, do not wear expensive jewellry or anything expensive that attracts attention, be wary in places like parking lots. bottom line is u need to b careful. its the same with india.

checkout iproperty.com. look at the train line connected to hang tuah and u can live near one of the connected train stations. there r 3 train lines with hang tuah station which is good. this means u have plenty of accomodation options. the preffered locations for indians are ampang and kl sentral. u can look at bukit bintang too. but u can look at others too based on ur budget. rent will b approx between 2-3k depending on where u live.

look at furnished condos, do not consider townhouses or bungalows as they r not as safe. regarding agents, they charge the landlord and not tenants :-)

surprising that ur company is not putting u up in a hotel. i stayed at park royal serviced apt in bukit bintang. good hotel that is close to a lot of restaurants and is 5 mins walk from station. check out the site for rates.

try to get a car quickly as i think its a neccessity here :-) and good luck!

To add to what Carlyle said above, Not to discourage you or something.. A pure jain vegetarian.. I am not sure if you can find any such restaurants here. But you may be able to get the stuff from stores and cook at home..! Are you coming along with your family or coming alone first and then your family joining later?
Cheers..!

Thank you Carlyle and coolguy for your valuable inputs!

I would be moving alone initially and my wife would join later on, after the house has been rented and basic set up done.

I know finding pure veg food is very difficult but a good Indian restaurant which serves veg should do good for me in the initial days and I know a bit of cooking so after settling down, I will cook occasionally.
Any other pointers?

-Ashish

Yes one more..!
Dont forget to get your International Driving Permit before leaving India..!
Cheers..!