Introduction

Just want to introduce myself with this first post. I've been lurking for awhile reading the forum gaining information and will continue to do so. I'm a 64 yo male thinking of making the move in a year or two.

Seems I'm getting Cuenca prices may be rising faster than other cities because of the large expat community. If this is true what do some of you think about Loja being "the next" expat location. How are prices there compared to Cuenca. I'll be making the trip down for a couple weeks soon. Until then I'll continue to read. Fixed income.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, TR. I can't offer any answers for you, but I'm sure others who know more will chime in.

I just couldn't help noticing your name, which makes me ask if you are a Marty Robbins fan?

BobH wrote:

Welcome to the forum, TR. I can't offer any answers for you, but I'm sure others who know more will chime in.

I just couldn't help noticing your name, which makes me ask if you are a Marty Robbins fan?

Well, I am a Texan born and bred and redheaded, hence the handle. But yes at my age who's not a fan of Mr. Robbins.

Tex, Loja and Cuenca are significantly different in terms of size, services/shopping available, and support of expat community. If you are already experienced international traveller with Spanish language availability, Lola is an option if you decide you like the area after a visit. Otherwise, I suggest you plan on renting initially in Cuenca for at least a year getting acclimated to the culture, getting documents/visa in order and visiting several areas. Support of Cuenca expat community is a valuable initial resource.

fdmcg wrote:

Tex, Loja and Cuenca are significantly different in terms of size, services/shopping available, and support of expat community. If you are already experienced international traveller with Spanish language availability, Lola is an option if you decide you like the area after a visit. Otherwise, I suggest you plan on renting initially in Cuenca for at least a year getting acclimated to the culture, getting documents/visa in order and visiting several areas. Support of Cuenca expat community is a valuable initial resource.

Thanks fdmcg, kinda confirms my thoughts initially. I'm 1 1/2 years away from retirement and thinking $1,500 per month to live on. Obviously it's hard to plan that far ahead but hoping to live on that alone.