So many specific questions I don't really know where to begin...

We live in the US and would like to get out if at all feasible. We're thinking of either Panama or Ecuador. I'm 63 and disabled (in a wheelchair with RSD) and take meds for pain.  My husband is 77 and is in GOOD health.  I know the age limit for Panama health insurance is 75.  Things will be getting bad for us here as soon as the new healthcare plan goes into full effect and Social Security's days are numbered.  We know we need to do something but not sure if we can or how. 

I take morphine, mexilitine, baclofen and prevacid.  The morphine is probably the one I worry about the most.  It's for the pain of my condition.  I'm able to walk but not far.  Stairs would be VERY difficult.

My husband as I said is in good health and we already understand the situation with his age. 

Anyone with a similar problem or advice for us could please respond.  We can provide a personal email address if you'd like. Let us know anything you can.

Thanks....Kathy Anderson

I think your concerns are over-blown.  Social Security isn't going broke in your lifetimes and, politically, both Social Security (the most popular entitlement plan in the U.S.) and Medicaid will be "fixed" only when pushing it off is no longer feasible, say 2025 to 2030 for Social Security.  Plus, Medicaid in the U.S. (depending on state) is better than nothing.  Move to Panama, but don't do it because you think you'll be losing Social Security or other entitlements if you stay in the U.S.

Thanks for your input but I've been on Social Security and "Medicare" (thanks to a disability putting me in a wheelchair) for 16 years and have seen the writing on the wall with both.  Haven't seen a raise in our Social Security checks in many years and have seen raises in our Medicare deduction.  I have also seen Medicare not covering the things they did 4-5 years ago and the same for the supplemental health insurance we pay an extra monthly premium.  I've also seen one of the drugs I take going from not costing me any out-of-pocket last year to not covered at all this year.

I'm simply looking into the possibility of a better cost of living for my husband and me and perhaps being able to buy what we need at a lower cost.  I'm just grateful that we live near Mexico and can purchase several of the drugs at a considerable savings along with many other necessities and/or luxuries.