Visit to Panama

Hello,

It is nice to join the forum on Panama with active discussions. I am currently working in Ottawa, Canada. Since I have four more years before retirement, I would like to visit Panama with my husband and teenage daughter, maninly as tourists but also take the opportunity to check out places suitable for retirement. I would appreciate names of three or four places that would-be retirees must visit to get a good idea about life in Panama (with close access to Panama city) and also a couple of plances tourists must visit. Any suggestions for accommodation - a couple of days in each of these locations - would be great too.

Thank you so much

Annie

Hi Annie,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Please feel free to go through the Panama forum, you might find some interesting hints.

Regards,

David.

Hi Annie,

This is a hard one to answer without knowing more about your intentions when visiting/moving here. What's your monthly budget going to look like? Are you more interested in being near the beach, in the mountains, on a farm, in the city? These are all available here. Here are some suggestions.

For living:

Beaches (nearest Panama City to farthest): Coronado, Santa Clara, Pedasi

Mountains (nearest Panama City to farthest): Cerro Azul, Altos del Maria, El Valle, Boquete, Volcan

City (in Panama City): Marbella, El Cangrejo, Punta Pacifica, Punta Paitilla, Costa del Este

City (in interior): David, Chitre

Other places (not in city, beach, or mountain area): Penonome, Aguadulce, Chitre, Las Tablas

For visiting/tourism:

Beaches: Bocas del Toro, Isla Taboga, Contadora, Coronado, Pedasi (Isla Iguana is near there), and I guess San Blas (although it's not really a place to live)

Mountains: El Valle, Boquete, Volcan

Hope that helps a little. If you Google each place you should find a little bit of info.

If you need other info about Panama, check out my blog at www.thestayathomegringo.blogspot.com

Chris

Many thanks David and Chris for your suggestions and thoughts. Since I just started to exploring options, this information is very helpful in steering my research to come to more definite ideas to persue in depth. I will follow-up and hopefully one day visit Panama, a country I am learning about and getting to like.

Best regards
Annie