Business idea's in Montevideo

Hi, i might be moving with my family to either Uuguay or Paraguay, would to know from you point of view what would be a good business to start in montevideo?

and also what do you think about the below business idea?

Lebanese resturant

middle eastern cafe with shihsa (hubly bubbly pipes)

retail (clothings,electronices and so....)

looking forward to hear from you?

Hello ALIF2.

Your message has been moved to the Montevideo forum for more interaction.

Hope that the following discussion will provide you the informations you're looking for:

- Doing business in Uruguay

Thanks

Karen :)

Probably Paraguay offers better buisness opportunities. With regards to your ideas I would suggest you to go for electronics retail business.

Hello ALIF2.
Uruguay is a relatively expensive country to live, cost of living is above average. But you get quality of live in return, a good calm city, no serious crimes.
I came from California to Uruguay, Punta del Este, nice city but the city sleeps in autumn and winter so its fully active in the summer for tourists.
I am moving to the capital Montevideo, Pocitos and see if business gets better.
I am a TV producer and I do photography for events.

Restaurants:
Uruguayans don't like trying exotic foods they stick to the meat with no spices, they like bland food and very uncomfortable to trying new foods. I met a Mexican that put a Mexican restaurant and only survived 1 month in Punta del Este Jan. 2013 it was called "Alebrijes Restaurant" on Manantiales beach, he put up shop for only 1 month, I don't thing he had any winnings.

electronics store:
taxes are high so everything you import will be taxed and making it expensive. people here buy online in USA and they send it by private couriers companies or even wait till some friend or family travel there and can bring their purchase back to Uruguay.

Clothes is also marked high because of taxes.
its cheaper to go to Miami once a year and buy your clothes for the year that buying them in Uruguay, and you get a chance to take the kids to Disneyworld while your at it.
clothes is doubled or more the price of what you would pay in Miami, USA. flight may cost you $800 dollars round trip, plus your stay.

the country's population is 3.200.000 and taxes make you aware of government cost and also how inefficient it is.

good luck
Alan
[email protected]