Driving to Belize

I've given this much thought.  I want to drive to Belize from N.J.  After retiring next year I plan to hook up a u-haul to my H3 and take 1 or 2 months to make the journey.  My son, a 10 year old trooper will accompany me. I was a peace corps volunteer so the task is not overly daunting but I would certainly appreciate any and all helpful feedback. We plan to settle in San Ignacio.

Wow! That sounds like a great adventure!  There are some very helpful expats on here that can share their experiences.

jim jones wrote:

I've given this much thought.  I want to drive to Belize from N.J.  After retiring next year I plan to hook up a u-haul to my H3 and take 1 or 2 months to make the journey.  My son, a 10 year old trooper will accompany me. I was a peace corps volunteer so the task is not overly daunting but I would certainly appreciate any and all helpful feedback. We plan to settle in San Ignacio.

I also pulled a trailer when I came to belize...my biggest mistake was entering from Ariz. The amount of tolls I paid was unbelievable.

You will also have to make a list of all the items in your trailer. The Belize immigration will ask you for that list when you arrive.

Good luck in finding places to stay in Mexico where you can park that U-Haul....I'm really interested in how you will turn that U-Haul in.

We have now driven twice--once down (Nov 2012) and once back (May 2013)--planning to drive back again in 2014. LOVED the trip! Absolutely no issues whatsoever!
We crossed the border in McAllen, TX. I have the trip on my blog: belize-us.blogspot.com - check the November 2012 posts.  If you're interested, I also have a word document if you'd like the route as well...just pm me.
A couple of observations: drive during the daylight, stay on the toll roads in the center of the country...as for the military and federales--they're the good guys, the ones to be wary of are the local policia.
Expect to be stopped, by the military, on either side of each state line throughout the country-pretty easy stops, they just ask where you were and where you're going, we were only "searched" once--they asked us to open one suitcase and all they did was look in, we had a total of 6 suitcases and several boxes of personal items in the back of our Jeep. They now utilize drug dogs and Gamma radiation at the state lines.
I'm not sure how hauling a trailer will change the checkpoint scenarios. I agree with Hawk-the trailer may be an issue parking in the motel lots and navigating narrow streets.
Hope this helps!
Have a wonderful journey!

babsumi wrote:

We have now driven twice--once down (Nov 2012) and once back (May 2013)--planning to drive back again in 2014. LOVED the trip! Absolutely no issues whatsoever!
We crossed the border in McAllen, TX. I have the trip on my blog: belize-us.blogspot.com - check the November 2012 posts.  If you're interested, I also have a word document if you'd like the route as well...just pm me.
A couple of observations: drive during the daylight, stay on the toll roads in the center of the country...as for the military and federales--they're the good guys, the ones to be wary of are the local policia.
Expect to be stopped, by the military, on either side of each state line throughout the country-pretty easy stops, they just ask where you were and where you're going, we were only "searched" once--they asked us to open one suitcase and all they did was look in, we had a total of 6 suitcases and several boxes of personal items in the back of our Jeep. They now utilize drug dogs and Gamma radiation at the state lines.
I'm not sure how hauling a trailer will change the checkpoint scenarios. I agree with Hawk-the trailer may be an issue parking in the motel lots and navigating narrow streets.
Hope this helps!
Have a wonderful journey!

Could you email me your trip experiance ffrom US to Belize.
Thanks

Question: do you still have the UHaul?  I wish to purchase one. I'm in Cayo. You can also find me on FB. Thanks.