Gluten Free Restaurants and Food Market Options?

Hi, I was wondering how accessible are gluten free items in your neighborhood food stores....like gluten free bread (do you have Udi's??), sauces (pasta, salad dressing, bbq, salsa, etc), pasta, cookies, chips, pizza, and the list goes on and on...

And when it comes to restaurants...do a few or a lot understand this allergy / celiac disease that they know how to prepare your food?

There's quite a range of gluten-free foods available now.  When I first moved here there really was nothing at all.  Usually, all the gluten-free foods are stacked on one unit in the shop, and the packets tend to have things like "glutenfri(tt)" or "fri for" or "uten gluten" written on them.  Sometimes they have logos that show an ear of corn crossed out, for example.

I've seen gluten-free bread, sauces, soup, pasta, and pizza, but not gluten-free crisps/chips.

I don't know what a Udi is (in Norway that's the initials for immigration office - you may get to know them quite well!).

Some restaurants may have one or two gluten-free options, and they may even mark them on the menu.  Pizza chain Peppes Pizza do offer gluten-free pizzas, however, so you'll always have some place to go :)

I agree. Most shops seem to have a good range of gluten free foods. Of course some shops are better than others. I have also seen quite a few restaurants offering gluten free options. I think it's usually easier to get something gluten free than meat free, which seems very odd to me. I think most Norwegians seem to have a decent understanding of coeliac disease.

I have two Norwegian friends with celiac and both are able to eat out comfortably. They generally find items marked on the menu as gluten free, or the kitchen is happy to comply by removing the ingredients that contain gluten (within reason... like the croutons on the salad).

Udi's is a brand of good gluten free bread here in the states, :)  But i guess i should be careful when asking that in the store :p

Celiac is most common of those who are of northern european decent..for some reason.  Thats why a lot of Dr's here go to Sweden to do research and write their papers..heh.

Because of that, I was thinking perhaps it would be easier over there than here for restaurants to have an understanding on what it is and the awful risk of cross contamination. :(

I appreciate your answers everyone, thank you!