Taking Saudi Riyals home

Can you take Saudi money to  banks in the west and freely exchange them?

Evening star

It's possible if there are currency agencies or banks in your area that exchange riyals.  However, the exchange rate isn't likely to be good.  For example, in the US, Travelex quotes the  current rate as $1 US = 3.3348 SAR.

Also, in the US, there is a limit as to how much cash you can legally bring into the country (I believe it's $10,000).

There is also a limit in carrying hard currency while traveling from KSA, i believe the limit is for SR.60000/-

Or another possible alternative..

Bank the Saudi Riyals into your Saudi bank account, then when you return back home you can make an online transfer to your home bank account?

emeraldsaregreen wrote:

Or another possible alternative..

Bank the Saudi Riyals into your Saudi bank account, then when you return back home you can make an online transfer to your home bank account?

The obvious solution but I somehow (maybe erroneously) got the feeling that the intent was to keep the money 'hidden.'

eveningstar wrote:

Can you take Saudi money to  banks in the west and freely exchange them?

Evening star

Yes, if it's your money. :)

If the bank in your country allows, you may hold them in Saudi Riyals and exchange them at a later stage also.

And by "freely exchange" I understand that you're going to pay the necessary charges for conversion there.

ghanshyampdave wrote:

I understand that you're going to pay the necessary charges for conversion there.

And as Smurfette pointed out, those charges ain't cheap!

Yes but the exchange rate could be very bad depending on your location. I have had it done in Idaho, California, Virginia, and many other states each place has its exchange price I suggest exchange it in and Airport to make things cheaper for your self