Job possibilities for Web Developer in Norway

Hello,
I've been wondering about job possibilities as a web developer and programmer, in which I have had  many years of experience, although I don't have any formal higher education. I already can speak Norwegian and feel quite comfortable with speaking it. Is it relatively faster finding this sort of job as a foreigner? If you have had success finding a job in this field, how long did it take you doing it ?

I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance!

You can study at any age in Norway and it is free for foreigners - so if you can't find work based on your current skills then you could opt for a degree in software engineering.

Thanks for the advice, new_in_norway. I'm already considering applying to UiO for the next year. But as I am waiting for my studies to begin, I'm still eager to find a job in Oslo in this field.

I'd like to find people who had some luck in getting such jobs and simply ask them some advice.
So if you're out there somewhere, please share your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

something I posted recently: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=267742

I'm not looking for work but I get an email several times a week listing Oslo-area IT jobs (in English) from linkedin.

I work in web development in Bergen.  I do have qualifications (from a good university in the UK) and when I began working here, I couldn't speak any Norwegian.  At my current job, there are people who have lived here for years (one English and one American) who still have very basic Norwegian.

It took me about two weeks to get a job offer.  Web developers and IT staff are in high demand and command good salaries.  If you can do at least part of the interview in Norwegian, then that should help.  The only thing that might hold you back would be your lack of formal qualifications - most of the people I work with have a masters degree in IT/computing.

Thanks, ECS and sctld, for the great advice. It really helped me to move forward with my job strategy.

That's a good idea - try to apply to a couple of colleges / universities to "secure" a place - høgskoler are university colleges.

www.finn.no , there you can try to find a job, use English keyword searches such as "English speaking" , "Callcenter" etc.

liveaend wrote:

Thanks for the advice, new_in_norway. I'm already considering applying to UiO for the next year. But as I am waiting for my studies to begin, I'm still eager to find a job in Oslo in this field.

I'd like to find people who had some luck in getting such jobs and simply ask them some advice.
So if you're out there somewhere, please share your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

I agree with you, new_in_norway. Although the nearest I'll be able to apply is for the Fall 2014. So I have plenty of time till then. I will be applying for jobs and see what chances I have.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies!

There is something called "Restetorget" or Clearing which begin on 20th July - but I don't think that foreigners can apply - it is where they have a few available seats ...but do contact the university to ask if you can apply too...it goes very fast from 20th July when they are being offered, and most likely it will be difficult since they are mostly Norwegian taught.

Do check if any university college or University offer January starts.

liveaend wrote:

I agree with you, new_in_norway. Although the nearest I'll be able to apply is for the Fall 2014. So I have plenty of time till then. I will be applying for jobs and see what chances I have.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies!

note that this thread is almost three years old so surely the OP has either found a job or gone elsewhere!