Good place to live in Chennai

We are moving to chennai in november...pls advise a good place to live in where I may find other likeminded expats, professionals...i
In terms of preference of living space...do we have gated complexes offering all facilities like gym, pool, shopping within....do you have villas in such complexes?

Which are the more livelier spots in chennai...is it around the centre...Please advise on areas such as egmore, adyar, east coast?

thank you,

adyar is best in terms of living and going around.
u can get 2 BHk flats for 17- 20 k.
depending on the floor.

if u need any more advice can guide,
iam a business man frm chennai

Hello crystabel.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more visibility, a new thread has been created from your message on the Chennai forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Welcome to Chennai!

East Coast has some of the best villas in the city.

Adyar, R.A.Puram, Alwarpet, Poes garden, Anna nagar have very good gated communities and most of them have all the amenities you are looking for but only a few have swimming pool. Since all these places are in center and has access to all kinds from emergencies to bars and clubs to groceries and transportation convenience.

OMR is also another option, which is mostly crowded with young people(software employees)

Same thread, same answer:

Where do you need to be for work?  Figure 10min/km for commuting so location is everything.  There are nice places all over but you need to be close to the office.

kindly try with Sommerset in RA puram..Its a good place.

Thanks Jashnaane, I have also heard some good stuff bat Vella cherry...is that any good?

I need to be near the american school...

Vellacherry is very good.  that is where most of the IT activity is going on.  Mostly new with some nice services and a brand new mall.

i'll be staying in Velacherry on 1/7 - 5/7. Anybody care to meet me?...any nice places you all can suggest me?

Anna Nagar & Adayar
Both the places are good

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

I am about to shift in Chennai for my Job. Office is near by "Egmore" can anyone please suggest me any good place to live nearby?

IN Egmore itself you can find residential places to stay. Egmore is close to many places like Marina beach, Mount road, Shopping malls.
Also you can try at Harrington road, Purasawakkam too

Adyer is the best place. I was living their for some office work. I was their for 2 months.
It is nice place to live.

Sweet Maddi got it right.  Egmore has plenty of nice places.  Adayar is nice but the traffic is bad and the commute is a pain.  Do not live at Marina Beach.  It is not as nice as it sounds and there are no services.

There are some very nice places in Nungambakkam as well, that is very nearby.

East Coast has some of the best villas in the city.
Anna Nagar & Adayar
Egmore has plenty of nice places
OMR is also another option

Hi,

If you are considering Chennai for long term, I'd suggest you to stay on OMR preferably Thiruvanmiyur. I am here from past 5 years but it is so unfortunate that my office is at DLF IT park which is near to Porur and I can't stay up there.

Moreover the water quality at Thiruvanmiyur is also good.

Welcome to Chennai!

Almost all areas in Chennai will have something best to provide you....but for staying...may be you should try these places...

1. Chindadripet
2. Anna Nagar
3. Ambattur
4. Kolathur/Rettari
5. Perambur
6. Vadapalani - if u want to see some kollywood stars

(above list is in no particular order)

I am a Chennaian and I am surprised to see someone suggesting Chindatripet, Amabattur,Kolathur and Perambur for an expat to live in. They are supposed to be the least  desired places of all. As a few have pointed out Adyar is the best choice safe in all respects.