Muslim-Non Mulsim Marriage in Saudi Arabia

Salam Alikum and Hello Everybody,

I know that there is numerous topics about how to get married here in Saudi Arabia! And I believe I went through them all, however, I really need some precise help if applicable!

I am a Muslim Arab residing in Saudi who wishes to marry a Christian European who also resides in Saudi! When we decided to get married, the only issue I was concerned about was my family blessings which I finally got ! I dint expect to have other problems when I want to conduct the marriage!

It seems that in order for a Muslim to marry a Christian here in Saudi, the female should convert to Islam! Although in Islam, it is OK if a muslim man marries a christian woman!

Our Embassies are both of no help as both cannot give us any certificates here, I have been to many lawyers all are not aware of the rules here and I went to Nikah court twice with no luck!
They requests a letter from the sponsor for the woman and that was obtained as well!

One Lawyer actually said he can arrange it for some big money -which I dont mind - but he went into vacation and I cannot reach him!

Is anyone familiar of such a case? Can an Embassy other that ours get us married? Although I want a religious marriage and I dont want my Fiance to convert, it is just not fair and disrespectful!

Maybe someone knows a good lawyer?

I would appreciate any help as we are going into a bad phase right now!

Much Appreciated!

Abeedo wrote:

Although I want a religious marriage and I dont want my Fiance to convert, it is just not fair and disrespectful!

You're a very enlightened man, Abeedo.  I respect you for that.  But, have you asked your fiance how she feels about converting?  Speaking only for myself, I'd have no problem doing that if I loved you because as far as I'm concerned, we all believe in the same God.  Religion is only the external expression. 

(I know what I said above isn't answering your question but I felt the need to say it.)

Best of luck, hope it all works out well.

Thanks a lot Alliecat for your reply!
Actually, our agreement since the beginning is to respect and value each others beliefs! However, and as things got complicated, I mentioned to her that converting might be the solution which she didn't really agree! I didn't argue because I share the same view with her and believe that things will get eventually resolved - one way or another - and because I really don't want to start my marriage with a lie :)It is not easy and sometimes I tend to take your approach, but love is not about giving sacrifices but more about adapting and understanding! At least this is what I think!

Thanks again Alliecat and I hope to find an answer in here!

Cheers

As far as I know, you don't have a solution here in KSA. Have you thought of going out somewhere for an official marriage? Cyprus would be a good option; though it won't be the religious marriage you have been seeking.

Thank you TheLegendLeads for your input!

So shall I gave up on trying in here?! It is funny really as I previously thought that you can actually always find a way here if you are willing to pay enough :(

I don't know about other countries, I asked in Bahrain and Dubai and both requires one of us to be a resident there to start of, However, Do you have any idea about Cyprus or something similar? Can it be done easily? Most importantly, will it be recognized in here?!

Regarding having a religious marriage, If I dont have the choice, I will accept a civil one and have a non official religious marriage later !

I am really confused and frustrated !

Thanks a lot!

This Arab News article although more than a decade old, might be of some use.

greate job ghanshyampdave
you have done wonderful search.
At least it will give him an idea what to do next.

One more thing which remind me with your given article.
Arab news accepting "Law related" questions and answering them on a weekly basis. I Prefer if you could raise your voice at Arab news and wait for the reply.

In my opinion, you are not suppose to pay extract money to any lawer to done your marriage. In KSA laws are very strickt, if it is doable then it would be a normal proceedure.

Think  about it and take your action accordingly.

Cheers,

Thank you both qamran_mushtaq and ghanshyampdave.

I have seen this article already, and I am aware of the Sharia law in it. This is why I was never doubting the possibility of such marriage normally in here!

Sending Arab news might be useful, I will do that!

Really I appreciate the sweet and kind replies from all of you!

Thanks.

About Cyprus Abeedo, google and you'll find that most people in difficult situations do that.

You said above that you had been to the marriage court twice. What exactly did they say?

@ Qamran_mushtaq & Abeedo : Google search gave About 5,230,000 results in 0.37 seconds. :D

My beliefs and opinions on religious matters are not for this forum / country; hence I will refrain from giving any advice here.

@ Abeedo - Hope, you'll find the solution soon and live a happy married life :)

@TheLegendLeads, Thank you, I will google it and see! At the court they had the same reply, let her be a Muslim and then come back to us!
My main concern, is this really the law?! I looked everywhere and couldnt find it written anywhere! For example, for Saudis who wants to marry a foreigner, a process is well known and you can find it very easily! This case, just no information at all. And I cannot really trust the judgment of a cranky government employee!

@ghanshyampdave, I really appreciate your sincere wishes!

Thanks a lot everybody!

Hello Abeedo;

I had to register and reply when I read your post!
The thing is and I have to agree with Alliecat, both of you have to consider taking that approach. It will just make your life easier, no worrying about process, no money payed to no one and certainly not going somewhere and then having difficulties certifying your papers in Saudi!

Ask yourself a question,will you do the same if you were in her shoes? If yes, and you both share the same feelings, then she should be willing to do! Dont get me wrong, no one asks you or her to change your beliefs, it is just some formalities that no one shall even know about! She goes, say few words without believing them - therefore, from religious perspective she didnt really convert - get a paper, finish your papers and then live happily ever after! That paper of converting can just be forgotten as it was never there!
Think of it, if you are convinced, talk to her about it! Sometimes, you just need to be flexible to get things done and believe me God does understand your situation and will bless you both! Believe is in heart after all!

Sorry for taking long but this hit a nerve for me!

Wish you all the best

@Faraway-Planet,
Thanks for sharing the thought.

As he said above, he did talk to her but it seemed she didn't agree with the idea.

Quoting him,

Abeedo wrote:

... However, and as things got complicated, I mentioned to her that converting might be the solution which she didn't really agree! I didn't argue because I share the same view with her and believe that things will get eventually resolved - one way or another - ...

Thank you Faraway-Planet, I appreciate your input and thoughts! Nevertheless, It is easy to talk about something while you are not in it :)

TheLegendLeads, Thanks a lot :)

I really started to like this forum ;)

this is very interesting , Yes I respect you Abeedo .

I believe things will work out for you ...

Hi Abeedo

Have you considered getting married in your country rather than trying to find a way here in KSA?

If you're an Arab, you must be less than 3-4 hours flight from your home probably? Or else you both can visit her country which should also be less than 9 hours, get it done and come back!

Regards
TA

Hello Everybody,

I want to keep you updated as maybe someone in Future will find this thread useful :)

@tansari, well, lets say that going to my home country is not as easy :) , and the process in her country is long and requires both of us to be there for sometime which cannot be done as both of us are working!

Anyhow, we discussed again, and we decided to go as they want and to become a muslim on paper - I see it shameful nevertheless - , apparenly even with this, you still need to wait until the ministry of Islamic affairs issues a card that indicates that this person is a Muslim. A process that can take up to 3 months as we have been told. I am trying to find a way to make it faster! Also as I have been told in court, I need to bring a letter from my local mosque that I pray there regularly! This is something I dont know if I can obtain. I work for 12 hours a day and I do my duties in my office ! So this is another thing I have to tackle!

I will keep you updated, and If anyone knows anything, I will be pleased to hear!

Thanks a lot!

As others have mentioned, the only way here is to get her to convert on paper. Why don't you get married in her country? I'm sure European laws are more flexible. I don't know if you have to reside in the country.

Best of luck!

Birdlike wrote:

Why don't you get married in her country? I'm sure European laws are more flexible. I don't know if you have to reside in the country.

He looked into that already, as stated in his post above yours:

Abeedo wrote:

the process in her country is long and requires both of us to be there for sometime which cannot be done as both of us are working!

We have similarity in situation i am having right now. Differences only is am a Muslim girl and my boyfriend is a Non-muslim. We are both Filipino. He is willing to convert to Islam. Our problem only is what are the process of marriage here in Saudi regarding about that. Doe it takes too long? Anyone can help me please. Thank you.

Dear sir,
Although me facing this issue, I am muslim and my Girl friend is ready to became muslim. If anybody knows what is the process. I have to do it from very start. I mean from her acceptance of islam till marriage. We both are expatriates here and from different countries and we both working here and its impossible for us to move any other country right now. I am Pakistani and my friend is from Unites states and she is ready to became a muslim. So if there any possibility that we can marry here. Plz help us we r in problem.
Thanx and waiting for responses.

hi everyone !!! its me sha ..!!! im a catholic and leaving in phillippines .. but as far as now i am here in Saudi Arabia as ofw . and any how i have boyfriend he is muslim wer planning to get married in phil.but i cant wait .so my plan is here in Saudi and convirt as a islam also.but we don't know how and wer or wat dey need paper from me and for my bf.well guys!!i work as nanny in his house well he is my boss but actually he is the father too of my kids .so please maybe somebody hu can help us and solve dis our problem.please guy let me to know thise please..thank u so much and my allah with us all  :)

Hi,

I have a question and in a lot of dilemma please help!
I am a foreign national to Saudi and have never been there and my fiancé is living in Saudi but is also a foreigner there ( from Yemen) his family is settled in Saudi
What is the visa or permit I will require to get married to him and live in Saudi ?
Please help

Maleki10 wrote:

Hi,

I have a question and in a lot of dilemma please help!
I am a foreign national to Saudi and have never been there and my fiancé is living in Saudi but is also a foreigner there ( from Yemen) his family is settled in Saudi
What is the visa or permit I will require to get married to him and live in Saudi ?
Please help

You can't go there as a single woman to meet or marry him.  You have to get married outside the country and move there as his wife.  Or, you get a job in SA, move there on a work visa, then get married there.

Thank you so much for the reply!! But the other query is that his mom is  originally from Saudi and has a Saudi passport but not him! He has Yemen passport!! Is there any clause for this please help

Yes, [moderated: no accusations on the forum please]  that does not grant Saudi citizenship to children of Saudi mothers and non-Saudi father (it does give citizenship if the father is Saudi).  But, that shouldn't matter in your case.  Both of you can go to a Shariah court there (IF you are working there) and get married.  But, as I said, getting a job there to get married there is going to be a lot of trouble, so the best option is to get married outside the country.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!! Really appreciate it! But if I get married outside on what status will I go there because even he is living on a visa basis there!
I know i am asking a lot of questions but I am really helpless! I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help!!
Thnk you

The other issue is that I don't have any job there and still studying in the states! And it's not that easy to get a job too! Can I just marry and stay with him in Saudi even if I don't am have a job? 
Thank you

Of course you can stay with him if you are married.  How do you think all the foreign wives stay in this country?  Vast majority of them are not working!  Wives and children stay here as dependents of the husband/father.

Once you get married outside the country, then he will apply for a dependent visa for you through his employer.  You will have to do paperwork from your side in the US as well.  Once the paperwork is finished (2-3 months), you can enter Saudi and stay there with your husband.  And once there, you can look for appropriate jobs.  However, once you do get a job, you will have to transfer your sponsorship from your husband to your employer to work legally.  If you terminate your employment, your sponsorship can be transferred back to your husband again.

This is all possible assuming he is employed and is under the sponsorship of his employer.  If he is still a legal dependent of his father/mother, i.e., his sponsor is his father/mother, then he can't get married.

By the way, what are you studying, and in which university? :)  Just curious... as I am also studying in the US currently, at LSU.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. So if he is Denpendant in his mother we can never marry for life ever ?? Please let me know!!
I am at UOM.

Thank you!

Actually, since his mother is Saudi, the rules might be different.  Typically, a male living as a dependent of his father in SA can't get married officially (but people somehow still do it).  But since he is sponsored by a Saudi--his mother--I am guessing it is allowed.  He should find that out from the Ministry of Interior, either directly by himself or through people he knows.

Good luck!

P.S. Michigan or Memphis?

Is there anyway you can give me that information? Please let me know and I will be very very grateful to you. And yes he is dependent on his mom his dad is not Saudi.
I can't tell you how grateful I am to you.
It's Michigan.

Thank you again !!

Sorry, I am not currently in SA, so I can't find that info.  Even if I was there, it would be difficult for me to find it as I am not in touch with many Saudis there.  But since he is there, and if he has any Saudi friends, it shouldn't be that hard for him to find it.  He can also go to the Ministry of Interior and find out, or check the MOI's website.

You are welcome... sorry I can't find that for you.  I do know that the government announced recently that children of Saudi mothers will be considered Saudis with regards to employment, education, healthcare, and other government benefits.  So it seems very likely that it will be possible for him to marry, as for all intents and purposes he is considered a Saudi in the eyes of the law, just that he has to have an iqama under his mother.  But, he should confirm first.

Good luck!

Ok thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help and time!! Am truly grateful!
Good luck with your studies and thanks for being patient.

Regards,

You are welcome.  Good luck with future life in SA, and with your studies too!

Ciao!

Hi..
Im christian and my wife is muslim, we got married in philippines (civil marriage). Our marriage certificate was already translated, stamp by foreign affairs and saudi embassy in philippines. We are now both working in saudi.. We want to live together here in saudi. Is our marriage legal even though i will not convert? Will the muttawa catch us?

Hi,

I have the same problem.. my boyfriend and I are both foreign nationals here in Saudi.. he is Muslim
and I am Christian.. we also want to get married here.. did you get any solutions for this? you got married here in KSA? is it a must for me to convert? and what should we do  for the processing of our papers ? we both work at the same company ., do we need to inform the management? coz we were planning to keep it a secret also.. thank you so much.. need your advice on this..

No - you're not required to convert in order to marry him.

I got marriage certificate from saudi court. For this purpose u need NOC from your sponsor stating that they have no objection and they allow you both for marriage. And then letter must b attested from chamber of commerce.
Please tell here nationalities of you both then I can able to brief you more because also there are some changes as  per nationalities.
Ŕeply with nationality and religion of boy and girl separately and I will advice you.

Hi thanks for this.. my boyfriend is an Egyptian and I am a Filipina. What do you mean sponsor? like my father? and the thing is my father is working here in KSA so i guess it wont be that hard for us?