Possibility of Assisted Living

In your experience in CR do you know if there are many assisted-living facilities in the country.  I understand this is more of an American thing and I am having trouble finding any contacts for this on the internet.  If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much.  My father is in his 80s and we want to bring him to CR with us but we cannot fully care for him.  We would like to live close by him, hopefully in the higher elevations of your fair country.  Thank you!

Hi,

You would search for "Hogar de Ancianos". Try this link here. It's a YellowPages listing for nursing homes in Costa Rica.

Hello wolverinevictors.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thanks

Karen :)

Wolverine,

You are correct, there isn't really assisted living here, it's more like hospice.  Tico families usually stay together or next to each other for life and therefore take care of one another.  So there isn't the need for many assisted living facilities.

We had a neighbor who's mother had Alzheimers.  She lived with them and they just hired a local Tica to take care of her all day and then they took care of her at night.  Remember that labor here is nothing compared to North America. 

There are always people looking for this type of work.  The cost would be the equivalent of about $2.50-$3.00 per hour.

-Dave

Very kind of you to respond Dave.  I understand all of what you are saying.  It looks like I will need to start a facility myself by renting a couple apartments together and hiring caretakers for my father and another needy person.  I can let it grow from there and manage it until there are enough residents in apartment rooms to get a building I can call an assisted-living business.  That will allow my father and others on Veterans Benefits to retire in CR.  I would have to do this in less than a year in order for my dad to keep his benefits.

Sound like a sane plan?  I'm up for a challenge. Because I would love to live there and have my father live out his days in a great climate.

Any of you readers please chime in if you have knowledge/experience regarding starting a business in CR as an incoming expat.

Thanks, Alan

The catch to having your own business here is that technically it will be your business but the "work" has to be done by Ticos.  But, as long as you have at least one Tico/Tica working, it is unlikely that anyone will say anything.  You will have "a lot" more freedom here than you would in the States.

I would also like to hear from others re operating your own business here.