Job market and working culture

Hi all,

My husband and I will be moving to NYC in a couple of months. He will come on a company transfer visa, meaning I get to apply for EAD.

My question however is, will it be hard to find a job in the current economic situation in NY? Even though I have a European Masters degree in Economics, and about 5 years of working experience in Finance/accounting, I heard the job market is very tough and competitive.

And what's it like to work in NYC? Should I expect to work 12+ hours/day with high pressure or does the working culture strongly varies from company to company?

Thanks!

Accounting could be a field for you, but you may have to do some entry level work, since you have no experience in USA accounting and taxes.  Most big firms have you doing field auditing, with long hours the norm.  For Americans they wave the carrot of becoming a partner some day, but many quit after two years.  If you would decide to become a CPA the good news is that field auditing hours are no longer required.  I am more familiar with PA rather than NY.  Good Luck

sofke23 wrote:

And what's it like to work in NYC? Should I expect to work 12+ hours/day with high pressure or does the working culture strongly varies from company to company?

Yes and yes.  Those long European lunches won't fly in New York.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not really an accountant as such, I'm more in finance (analyst/controller), hence a position in one of the Big 4 won't be for me.
I've heard about high pressure and long working hours in NYC, but we've also lived in Singapore and people were saying exactly the same about working in S'pore, while in reality it wasn't too bad.

I guess it widely depends on the (type of) company. I just don't want to move to a new country to find out we don't have any spare time any more and all we have to do is work! Of course money needs to be made, and working is part of life, but in the end you work to live and not the other way around. Imo moving to a new place is only worth it if you also have the time and opportunities to expore it!

New York is expensive city. The hours depends on your desire to make a lot of money or just enough to cover your expenses. Just remember, New Yorkers are highly motivated and highly competitive people which means you have to compete, therefore to progress.

If you can work over 40 hours a week. If you work over 40 hours a week than it is the law that you get paid time and half for every hour worked over 40. I don't know about New York State since I have never been to the East Coast of the USA. I have no desire to go to New York City but everybody is different with different desires, skills and experiences.
I heard that it is very expensive to live there and people are different on the east coast. I live in Tacoma, Washington which is somewhat of a blue collar port city south of Seattle.

Rick

If your intention is to live in NYC then expect to work hard because the cost of living is extremely high. With all the benefits of living here there are definite drawbacks that you need to be aware of. Be realistic and investigate cost of living etc before relocating here.

RickWa66 wrote:

If you can work over 40 hours a week. If you work over 40 hours a week than it is the law that you get paid time and half for every hour worked over 40.
Rick

Unless you are salaried at above certain low amounts, then you work 40 or 60 hours/week for the same pay.

RickWa66 wrote:

If you can work over 40 hours a week. If you work over 40 hours a week than it is the law that you get paid time and half for every hour worked over 40. I don't know about New York State since I have never been to the East Coast of the USA. I have no desire to go to New York City but everybody is different with different desires, skills and experiences.
I heard that it is very expensive to live there and people are different on the east coast. I live in Tacoma, Washington which is somewhat of a blue collar port city south of Seattle.

Rick

Overtime is not applicable to salaried employees unless specified in writing.

Work days are typically 8 hours but realistically 12 hours - even longer if you are into computers.

Breaks are regulated too but if you are a professional and you expect a standard European style lunch break with wine you will be given a pink slip your first day.

NYC is extremely competitive and expensive. Research before you make the decision.