Bank account & residency questions

Anyone know how to open a bank account in Morocco?
How can I apply for Moroccan residency? I'm married to a Moroccan and I have British nationality.
In the past I just left Morocco every 3 months but would now prefer to apply for official residency. Does it take longer than 3 months from start to finish? Just thinking, tourist visa only valid for 3 months and can't afford to leave the country every 3 months, so would prefer residency for this reason.

Go to the Prefecture du Police in your area. In Marrakech there is an office on the Ground Floor to the Right that deals with Foreign Affairs....sorry I forget the official name of the office. Depending on what area of Morocco you are in the exact location of the office may be different, but the people at the front desk of the Prefecture du Police will know what you want when you pull out your passport.

Posted on a message board outside this office is the basic criteria for several popular choices for gaining residency. Use this as an idea of what you will need to assemble prior to your application for residency. They don't specifically address this option, but as you are married to a Moroccan it is a bit easier to get approval. This is because your husband can help you meet the criteria, and Morocco is committed to keeping families together.

As for a bank account, that is easy enough. If you have Foreign money any bank here in Morocco will be happy to open an international account for you with only your passport. Unfortunately you can only transfer foreign money into the bank account from other institutions outside of Morocco. Once you are a resident, you can then take your residency card. Then the banks will be happy to open a regular Moroccan Bank account for you.

For getting the residency, I needed many of the same things I needed for my marriage. Also if you were married outside of Morocco, you may need to have your marriage certified here in Morocco before they will grant you a residency card.

Wish you the best at getting this done.

Hallo Caroline

I am just going through the process myself - again.  It never gets easy so you just have to grit your teeth and endure.  This time I was told I would need :

Copy of passport pages showing personal data plus page showing most recent date of entry.
Marriage Certificate
Husbands ID card
Medical Certificate
Contract of Rent or property ownership
Certificate of Residence (local Police/Sheriffs can supply this)
Work Permit or Declaration that you don't work
Disclosure of any/no criminal record in the UK (you can request this online)
Attestation from your bank showing balance - must be within 3 months of your application
10 photos

You will need 4 copies (or 3 copies plus original) of everything and all copies have to be legalised... anything with your signature has to be legalised

You also have to fill in a form and then when you have got everything handed in they will give you a receipt which you can use to show that you have applied while you are waiting for your card to arrive - so you don't need to worry about leaving every 3 months.  In my experience this can take anything up to a year!  The first time you apply it will only be valid for a year but after a few years you can apply for 3 years and who knows maybe longer.

This is a guide only  as you might find that your officials want something different....  I always ask before I start the application process and they always say one thing and then when I hand everything in there is a requirement for something else.... so as I say just keep smiling!

If you live in the city it will be the local Police but if you live in a rural area it is the Sheriffs who deal with it.

Good luck

Hi, I'm just reading this reply that you posted to Caroline's question..I'm in a similar position to her at the moment.

I don't have any property to my name in Morocco (would be moving into the family home of my husband till we can afford to buy our own place)...So I can't provide any kind of rental agreement - is that a problem?

You mention about providing an attestation of bank balance - is this acceptable if it's from a UK bank? Or does it need to be from a Moroccan bank?

Also, does the receipt let you stay in in Morocco legally for more than 90 days at a time?

When getting married in Morocco, we found that giving "baksheesh" to the authorities hurried things along....we managed to get all the paperwork sorted in 3 weeks but my husband said without the baksheesh it could have taken several months!

Hallo Sunflower,

I can't remember what I needed first time I applied.. You can't open a Moroccan currency bank account until you have your carte sejour but I did have a euro currency account with a moroccan bank so I have a feeling that was required... best thing is to check with your local police.

Since you have no rental contract and if you are living in a family home probably no purchase papers either you will probably need some sort of Attestation from the local Caid... that you are living there.  Again ask - it will be possible.

Yes, once you have your recipesse you will not have to leave after 30 days.  It will have one of the copies of your photo on it and you will have to carry it round with you - gets a bit dogeared after 6 months.

Where are you based?

Hazel

sunflowers1980 wrote:

Hi, I'm just reading this reply that you posted to Caroline's question..I'm in a similar position to her at the moment.

I don't have any property to my name in Morocco (would be moving into the family home of my husband till we can afford to buy our own place)...So I can't provide any kind of rental agreement - is that a problem?

You mention about providing an attestation of bank balance - is this acceptable if it's from a UK bank? Or does it need to be from a Moroccan bank?

Also, does the receipt let you stay in in Morocco legally for more than 90 days at a time?

When getting married in Morocco, we found that giving "baksheesh" to the authorities hurried things along....we managed to get all the paperwork sorted in 3 weeks but my husband said without the baksheesh it could have taken several months!

If the Family owns the home or is renting the property, then just have the official person who owns the home or has the rental contract make you a statement that declares you and your husband as members of the household. Then you can use this property in place of your own. If your husband is registered as an official resident at that address, include a copy of his nationality card. Also you may need to have a statement from the Local Neighborhood supervisor (sorry I forget his title, but your family will know who this man)

There are several banking options. Yes, your UK bank account is fine, but it is good if you can show regular money transfers into an international bank account here in Morocco. Another option is to include a transaction records showing regular withdraws of funds by you during your stay in Morocco. This is all to prove you have a means of support. If you prefer not to open one until you are a resident and can open a regular account, and If your husband has a job in Morocco and bank account, then his account can be included in place of your own.

The receipt for your residency application does allow you to remain in Morocco past 90 days. It is your temporary proof of residency. But if it take an extended period of time to get your official card, you must go to the issuing office and have the receipt validated to extend time period. This is usually done at the same time you go to check if the card has arrived. So go back to that office on or before the day they tell you to return, and don't be late or you receipt may expire.

Oh yes I had forgotten the monthly trips to the Police to collect another stamp on the recipesse... the joys!

Hi, I am thinking of applying for Moroccan residency (in Marrakech) and I have just been reading this thread about your experiences and which documents etc are required:

Somebody told me that evidence of my husband's income and ability to financially support me MUST be provided. Is that strictly true? He gets paid cash-in-hand, never into a bank account and certainly doesn't get bank statements and doesn't have any official employment contract. So, although he works and would be able to support me if necessary it's hard to show a paper trail of his job, earnings etc.

However, I have savings and can prove with my own bank statements from the UK that I'm able to support myself financially. Would that be acceptable in lieu of my husband's prove of earnings/income? Has anybody on this forum successfully applied for residency in Marrakech without having to show husband's proof of income/money.

Hallo

I have never been asked to provide any information about my husband's earnings though the application form needs his occupation.  I do have to provide an Attestation from my Moroccan bank account showing how much money is in the account.  I have a feeling that it has to be a Moroccan account.

I know that if you are applying for residency and not married to a Moroccan you have to be able to show a certain level of income - and that this is much more than you would need to live if you are living as a Moroccan and not living the European lifestyle in Morocco.

I have no idea what they would do if the balance in my bank account was zero, I have asked the gendarmerie here (I live in a rural area) and they don't know.  Now that we are married I think it unlikely that they would refuse residency to me as that would mean breaking up our marriage - which is not something Moroccan's would like to do....

However I think you should go along to the Police Commissary who will deal with your application and find out from them exactly what they need.  It does seem to vary quite a lot from year to year and it is better to get the "man in charge" to give you a full list of what he needs.... then if it turns out to be something different he will be working with you to get it sorted.

Good luck

ps I am still waiting for my Carte Sejour after a year since I started my last application process and 9 months since getting the little scrap of paper that this year serves as evidence that I have applied.  I went back to the UK last month.. and the little scrap of paper (getting increasingly scrappy) was accepted with barely any hesitation.

Wow these comments have been SO helpful!  I've applied for my residency card & it seems to be taking a loooong time!  I'm relieved to hear that this is the norm & that the "scrap of paper" receipt is indeed legit--I was afraid to travel.  ;)

I seem to remember, when I think about it, that I was advised to do it all through my husband's proof of income and employment because it would be much easier and quicker that way.  Given my subsequent experience, that turned out to be right.  I do think that if one is married to a Moroccan, they are simply not going to refuse residency... and creative solutions could be possible - eg saying that one lives with the family who can provide proof of domicile, etc.

The one thing that did prove difficult with just the "temporary" carte sejour (or scrap of paper) was when I tried to exchange some dirhams to uk currency for travelling money.  Most of the places I tried insisted that I had to have a carte sejour and that the bit of paper did not qualify.... but eventually my husband phoned global currency exchange (I think they are in most airports) in Casa and they said as long as I gave them my local address they could exchange money.  Although I had to press a bit I did manage finally manage.

salam caroline I know your post is a while back now but did you manage to get your residency?

where are you in morocco and do you like it x

Aicha

aicha2015 wrote:

salam caroline I know your post is a while back now but did you manage to get your residency?

where are you in morocco and do you like it x

Aicha

If you're married to a Moroccan National, as per the information on your profile, then the path to residency is quite smooth I believe.

Oh that's great thanks for replying

You're welcome.

I'm in the UK too, and considered a move to Morocco. If you don't mind me asking, what has drawn you to Morocco? What do you like about it?

I think the simplicity of life the sun the people the way of living just appeals to me..  here it's a constant stress nothing flows there it all seems to flow nicely I really like it  :heart:

I assume up to now, you've been holidaying there, and like most holidays, it's stress-free. It's probably going to be a little different when you settle down permanently. That's when things that you don't do on holiday, would have to be done, and the stress will begin. Whether it's schools for your kids (if you have any), health-care, employment, and so on, and other things we take for granted in the UK, is generally harder in moroco.

But still possible with a positive attitude

That's if someone knows the right people. Otherwise it could be difficult to get anything done without constant rip-off's and lies.

I must be extremely lucky I only meet really nice people in Morocco x

No not at all I have stayed long periods in occasion I never treat it as a holiday I do normal day to day living things there.. I have used doctors dentists local hammam I have worked fasted at Ramadan so I know what to expect... I still find the UK far more stressful in every way
😁😁😁

I wouldn't say lucky. I guess you nod and agree with everything said, and believe what they say. Try getting on the wrong side of them, and see what usually happens.

You must be living in a stressful area in the UK then. Many morocans would prefer living in the UK than their own country. That should tell you something.

Hmmm. There are only nice people in Morocco in your experience? There are lots of nice people, I know many too. However, I also know plenty who are not nice at all, but just pretend to be or did pretend to be. I am afraid that the other poster is correct, the second you disagree, don't pay an exorbitant fee, stop going to their shop, bargain a bit too hard, say you didn't like a meal or whatever, a different face is revealed. One becomes mean, slovenly, gay, incorrect, whatever they think might hurt and they'll broadcast it to everyone until it gets back to you. I am fortunate to speak some Darija and some of the "nice" people I sometimes interact with have said the most terrible things about me in my presence not realising that I understand, as I don't go on about speaking Arabic to everyone.

In a culture where lying your head off is socially and culturally acceptable, I'm afraid that European expats are prone to be victims of this too. Most Moroccans (not all) say what they think their European interlocutors wish to (or would be pleased to) hear. They will invent the most fanciful scenarios for no real reason, sometimes to make themselves look more socially acceptable, but at others for no apparent reason at all. For example, during the recent floods and consequent loss of life, at least 8 Moroccans I speak to casually said, during the course of a week, that they either "knew" someone who had drowned or that someone had drowned was a distant member of their family. I am sure that you will realise that this is impossible. There cannot be such a concentration of people here in my town with friends or relatives far down in the south all of whom speak to me. There was no reason for these lies. They weren't hoping for money "to visit" 3rd cousin or whatever. It was just lies. Please be aware of this. I actually have an attitude now that I don't believe anything that anyone tells me unless I know it's true or find out later that it is. I have come to this by simply noticing discrepancies, wondering why this or that seems at odds to what I had been told and so on and also listening to what Moroccans say to each other, as most tell the most terrible porkies amongst themselves. I've heard complete nonsense spilling out of their mouths when they meet a new person, for example. Please arm yourself this aspect of Moroccan culture or it will lead to grief later down the line.

Oh no not at all I'm in a great area but I prefer morocco you seem very against it why would you want to live there then?  Or was that a old post I know many Moroccans in the UK north and south and they all prefer morocco believe me just jobs aren't brilliant over there that's all other than that i would say life there is beautiful I'm off there tomorrow can't wait sunshine and oranges souks and mountains... What's not too love?

Bslama

There are good and everywhere I'm very discerning who I mix with anyway mostly family and they are precious

@ Aicha2015, laduquesa and XB23 > I am afraid that you are quite off topic here, the title of this topic is Bank account & residency questions.

If you wish to debate on an another subject related to Expatriation, i will advise you to create a new thread on the Marrakech forum please.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

I guess the minimum age for signing-up to this site is 13. That indeed explains why we have certain immature & childish members who come along and stir up nothing but trouble. You can't debate with kids.

As for the mature adults, Happy Christmas & New Years.