How To License a Mexico Car for Another State?

We are getting our Permante Residente Visa this year. We must purchase Mexican cars and return our USA cars to the border. We can find the make and model we want in Mexico City, but we understand it is "nearly impossible" to get a valid GTO plate if the car was purchased in Mexico City. Does anyone have any information on this challenge/adventure? [email protected]

jzmackenzie wrote:

We are getting our Permante Residente Visa this year. We must purchase Mexican cars and return our USA cars to the border. We can find the make and model we want in Mexico City, but we understand it is "nearly impossible" to get a valid GTO plate if the car was purchased in Mexico City. Does anyone have any information on this challenge/adventure? [email protected]

I am in the same boat at the moment. Rumor has it el Estado de Mexico and Mexico City are rife with stolen cars with fraudulent documents, more so than any other place in Mexico.

Several people have told me "If it appears to be an incredible deal it is probably not a good idea to buy a used car there". If new cars, no problem.

Here in San Luis Potosi to register an out of state vehicle you need the bill of sale, a signed fratura [title]. A document from that local municipal office that states there are no fines due. A document from the local municipal department of vehicles releasing the registration and plates from the vehicle, in Mexico you can drive with no plates for 30 days in this situation before registering it again.

You need to register here: a driverŽs license, doesnŽt state what driverŽs license, all the above documents and costs about $4,000 pesos.

Thank you!!!!

"...understand it is "nearly impossible" to get a valid GTO plate if the car was purchased in Mexico City. "

I have registered two Jalisco vehicles here in GTO without problem [ and one was 'totaled' by the insurance company so it no longer 'existed' so it had to be created anew [[as you can imagine there is a special permit and office for that]].

The process should be the same for DF vehicles:
1 seller signs off his Original Factura to you
2 you or seller do a Baja at the Transito [can be/may have to be done in DF]
- better to have seller do the Baja as that is when all unpaid multas are discovered and must be settled
3 you do an Alta here at the Transito [maybe at the office in the Mega now]
4 you get your plates

But for a vehicle like you say you are looking for I see more hassle in getting it in DF than value* - just go to the Tianguis in Leon** over a few weekends and you should find something similar.

Your Current Vehicle [US reg] What will you do with that? So here's an idea: find a used car dealer or lot in Laredo and sell it to them then cross the bridge and buy a CRV in Nuevo Laredo - but maybe that's tricky as cars there would have Frontera plates.