I need to cash a US Government check

I am a US Citizen living in Lima for only a short time. I recently returned to the US for some consulting work for the US Government. After I returned to Lima, I received a check from the US Government for some travel expenses (less than $1000)...the problem is, I do not know where to cash the check. I have went to five banks with no success...I called the Embassy with the same results. Can someone here please give me advice as what to do? I thank you in advance for your help.

yes, contact Blanca Wissar at the USA Embassy in Lima. She calls Banco Continental in Lima and arranges that your check can be cashed immediately, the bank will charge you 100 soles for this service.

100 soles!!! Rip off.

Use the Moneygram office in Tarata to cash the check. In case they don't want to give you cash immediately, try the Moneygram office in Larco instead. They usually do cash on the spot, but some of their employees make you wait 21 business days for the check to clear.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : no free ads here please

how  do  i   open  a   bank  account  in  PRUE

how  do  i   open  a   bank  account  in  PRUE.

[email protected]

FADALE wrote:

how  do  i   open  a   bank  account  in  PRUE.

[email protected]

Go to a bank to open an account.  :dumbom:

US Citizen on the typical or any other entry visa has no banking priveleges here. The banks will not even entertain the thought of opening an account, cashing checks and so on....
For this you need the Carnet de Extranjeria and that is good to get if you are planning to stay....... in fact,,,, It Is Essential.......

The work around would be to have a bank in the states that will allow you to use your debit card internationally....
then,,,,,,,,,,, funds in that account could be drawn at ATM.s here / recommended is INTERBANK Global Net machine.....

you can take out cash ,,,,, both Interbank and your US bank will take a fee.......

you will extract dollars and convert those dollars to soles at a local exchange / common - like buying bread....

pistachio