Opening a business and living in bali.. possible?

hello!
we are a norwegian couple currently living in oslo... now we are about to relocate, and looking into the possibility of living in indonesia (bali). we want to open up a small business at the beach with a few bungalows, a yogahall and a small cafe. we are spending a few weeks there in april, to gather information. any tips as to how we should move about this matter would be great!
all the best -
w&oj

Hi,

I sent you email regarding this matter. Did you get it ?
Thanks

Hi Woj

Check out my post in the classifieds section here https://www.expat.com/en/classified/asi … 12913.html

it may be of interest to you

John

hi, i have a bar here in poppies lane II, and if you interested, you can take a look while you are here and we can discuss something further.. :)

My tips is don't relocate just yet ,wait a bit 3 or 5 years and during waiting periods you can get to know and gather more info about established business and living in Bali,..it's not interesting and exciting as it seems, so i may said unless you have secured your self with a big safe money deposits on your home country, just in case your business getting broke or your indonesian partner cheat you and the property you bought is not even your own....:)

open a bussiness in bali is always possible for everybody, the important things is you must have good bussiness plan, get a guidance from somebody who know very well how to open bussiness in bali, must have law knowledge or at least get help from someone who knows indonesian law.
basiclly below is the step by step guidance :
1. came to bali, make a market research about your bussiness plan, you want to open small business at the beach with a few bungalows, a yogahall and a small cafe, try get information or advice regarding your bussiness plan, did the bussiness plan can have a market? did you can compete with other company who already do the same things? at the end you can get the conclusion, your bussiness plan can do or you must change to another bussiness plan.
2. after already have confidence and get the potential bussiness plan, either you stay with your first plan or you go with new plan. try to get a location, which fit with your plan. you must go around, see and learn about the potential of every location in Bali. location is very important, you can search by your own or you can ask help from property company to search and find location for you.
3. after get the location, you can rent land or property, which you already know is good and fit with your bussiness plan, remember before you rent the property make sure, you already check the location. first, the property have land use as business zoning area or not. at bali, the zoning is important, cause there's agriculture zoning mean you only can open a bussiness  relating with agriculture, green belt means you cann't build at all at the land, housing means you can build house or villa or bungalows with a yogahall and a small cafe. the best things if you can get the land with zoning area as tourism zoning. if the property already have a building, check it is the building already have building permit or not and make sure the building permit is for bussiness purpose as a bungalow, if building permit purpose is only housing means you can't open a business at the building.
4. after make sure the land or building is okay, you need notary to help to rent the land or building.the indonesian law allowed, foreigners to rent a land with 25 years period, and can be extendable for another 25years and again for 30 years, with the renting agreement, you hold right to use to the land ( lease hold ), the indonesian law not allowed the foreigners to buy the land in indonesia.
5. if you rent a land with zoning area housing or tourism, you can design the land and aplly the building permit, if possible use the land owner name for building permit, that's more easier to get the building permit, also with land owner name at building permit, the permit never expired, cause the building permit based on the freehold status, if you apply the building permit on your name, the building permit have expired period based on your renting period. if you rent the land for 25 years, the building permit will expired after 25 years or at the end of your renting period.
6. to get the building permit you need help from architect to make a drawing for building permit application, also you need to fill the building permit application which need signature from neighbour and authority.
7. after you get the building permit or after you apply the permit ( the permit is on process ) you can start to do the construction, in this stage you need the contractor help.
8. if you rent property already as bungalow or villa or house, make sure the building permit have bussiness purpose, if only a house purpose, you can aplly to change the title of the property from house purpose to became bussiness purpose, in this process you need to fill application and apply the new building permit, again need a signature from the neighbour and authority.
9. let say the building permit is get already and you already have the building. you need to set up a company to get the operational permit.
the operational permit can't given to personal but to the company. indonesian law know form of the company : CV ( komanditer company ) PT ( limited company ) but as foreigner you must set up Foreign company ( PT. PMA ), there's a requirement for the PT. PMA ( foreign company )
10. set up the company can be done parralel when you apply the new building permit ( if you rent building ) or when you apply building permit and do the construction ( if you rent a land )
11. after you get the operational permit, then you can open your bussiness.
12. remember, to get through from step 1 to step 11, need time, money, work and understand the indonesian law,have good support from good notary, good bussiness consulting company, many people ending with problem, cause they get bad advice. but if you have a good bussiness consulting company, mostly all be fine and you can open your bussiness, there's a possibility to get success but also there's a risk. try to minimize the risk to make the bussiness plan can running well.

hi.
iam nyoman balinese chef
should you need any assistance for your idea in cafe, restaurant etc. i would be happy to help you consulting
my mobile : xxx
thanks

regards
nyoman

indo_expat wrote:

My tips is don't relocate just yet ,wait a bit 3 or 5 years and during waiting periods you can get to know and gather more info about established business and living in Bali,..it's not interesting and exciting as it seems, so i may said unless you have secured your self with a big safe money deposits on your home country, just in case your business getting broke or your indonesian partner cheat you and the property you bought is not even your own....:)

Well said.
In my sense you re too late. Every beach corner is gone or has big bucks in option on it.Maybe try to clear why you want to come live in Bali. If you don't bring anything, you will just be like any other dreamer or sucker and it wont work.
dreamer failed very fast, sucker get problems and bad karma.
Bali is a resort Island, since long time. big shark wait for you, little fish. I know that if you re a dreamer you won't listen that but that's a fact.
before doing the BP, as rightly proposed below, do a personal check up on who you are, who you want to be, what's your abilities, specialties and limits.
Don't open a business if you don't master it, or if you re not ready to pay to learn it the hard way.
Then if you go on, be prepare to work very hard to make it successful, be prepare to stress a lot about employment and laws. Time are gone when Westerners arrived with a handful of dollars and open a cool, relax and successful business for the rest of their life...

Hi W & oj
Your proposal is great and tourisim is a great opportunity in Bali and I am an Malaysian by birth and married an Indonesian wife and not become have a PR for Indonesia.I am on the tourisim industry and now relocating in Bali and can most happy to assist you for your intending Business Venture in Bali. Pls contact me via Email: xxx
Anthony

Welcome to the forum, but you might want to check the dates a post was made so you're not responding to something written four years ago.   :)

That's one of the problems I see here in this forum. Most of the threads are old and newcomers do not see it right away.

No idea whether founder or co-mods may can work something out to somehow highlight or separate those old ones....

Separating them by year perhaps in additional columns??

Any suggestions for forum changes...feel free to write to Julien...the founder of this forum. 

He always appreciates input!   :top:

Hi Ubudian, I did send him a pm. Let's see what he will reply... ;)

Not to sound patronizing, I must say that considering this forum has over 1 million members, I have always found Julien to be responsive to any private messages, constructive criticism, and suggestions.

Cheers!

I think this is one of the best replies I have read to a newbie query. Thanks and congratulation, dyongbali! :thanks:

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hello,

I live in bali since 2008 ,,you can contact me ,i will give you informations.

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Julia...this is an expat forum. 

If you have insights and personal experiences regarding establishing a business on Bali...and all the endless requirements to do so, then please, in the spirit of this forum...share them openly.

Looking forward to your comments!

And, you might also check the dates of the last post before making new posts on old threads.   In that regard, you might want to start a whole new thread. 

Cheers, Roy

how was the venture?

hi there ...im an Australian architect ...have been living in Bali for 10 years ,,,,have a cafe there ...called Manik organik ...I have the idea similar to yours ...beach location ../accomodation /yoga ...art camps other holistic programs /training
I would be keen to look at jv with you on your project and steer you through all the legals required to establish the business ...with licenses etc...my email is xxx
my name is chas Spencer...
the business name is Manik organik ...check it out on face book and web references .
I interested to discuss please email me Im in australia at the moment ...
all the best
the answer is yes to both questions by the way :)

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you. Very thorough response.