Transfer of residency exemption

Hello everyone

We have submitted our docs last week for the exeption, but I just received an e-mail from them today looking for additional paperwork. I have no problem providing 3 out of 4, all it takes is an e-mail from the country we resided in previuosly and I should get them all tomorrow. My problem is number 4.

'Evidence of transfer of residence to Malta:

1.      Acquisition of property in Malta (including rent agreements, rent payments covering at least twelve months from taking up residence in Malta)'

I have given them a copy of our rent agreement, which is 6 months contract. Is there anything else we can produce instead? Obviuosly we havent paid the 6 months rent up-front, not alone a year's one! I have an e-mail confirming our appointment for residency for September, would that do to show us taking up permanent residency?

We're really stuck on this one, could anyone help? Would really appreciate it. 

Tinna

Get a "confirmation of deregistration certificate" from your old residence country/place.

We have got one when moving away from switzerland it even stated Sliema Malta as new residency.

What are you applying for exemption from?

?

maybe exemption from vehicle registration tax ??

but then that would make the title of the topic false - its clearly marked transfer of residency exemption

Tinna9 wrote:

I have an e-mail confirming our appointment for residency for September, would that do to show us taking up permanent residency?

just to clarify - you have applied for a residency document, not for permanent residency (that you can apply for after 5 years residency)

arent you from Lithuania an EU member state?

Hi guys

Sorry if i put down the title wrong. It the exemtption for car import tax & yes, I am from Lithuania , EU country, although we moved from Ireland.

Irish motor tax office had advised they will note it as exported vehicle once they get a copy of the new registration document from Malta.

Yes, I now it's a residency document, but does that not show the intention of staying in Malta? If we weren't planning on staying, we wouldn't be applying for it.

Will try to find more information.

Tinna9 wrote:

Yes, I now it's a residency document, but does that not show the intention of staying in Malta? If we weren't planning on staying, we wouldn't be applying for it.

yes it does, but permanent residency is something else - you are looking to become a resident rather than a tourist, which you have to do after 3 months. Permanent residency is something you can apply for after 5 years only :-)

Thanks georgeingozo, I take it this means they wont accept it instead of 1 year's proof of rent showing the permanent move. There has to be another way to prove it, we are not trying to fool the system or anything, we genuinely moved over here ...

have you asked them if they will accept notification of your appointment ? (just dont mention permanent residency as that could confuse them)

Just e-mailed them and awaiting response. Will post an update once I have. Thanks again

Tinna9 wrote:

Hello everyone

We have submitted our docs last week for the exeption, but I just received an e-mail from them today looking for additional paperwork. I have no problem providing 3 out of 4, all it takes is an e-mail from the country we resided in previuosly and I should get them all tomorrow. My problem is number 4.

'Evidence of transfer of residence to Malta:

1.      Acquisition of property in Malta (including rent agreements, rent payments covering at least twelve months from taking up residence in Malta)'

I have given them a copy of our rent agreement, which is 6 months contract. Is there anything else we can produce instead? Obviuosly we havent paid the 6 months rent up-front, not alone a year's one! I have an e-mail confirming our appointment for residency for September, would that do to show us taking up permanent residency?

We're really stuck on this one, could anyone help? Would really appreciate it. 

Tinna

I think the problem is your agreement is for only six months and they require something that shows you intend to stay twelve months or more. Unless you plan to extend your rental contract you are stuck! showing them anything to do with residency is a red herring.

Terry

Having just looked at the criteria for exemption a residency document is on the list (ignore my comment about it being a red herring).
So you need to take your residency documents and application in person to the office and get your temp certificate of application.
My understanding is that they are doing a few each day that do not have appointments, so its worth a try.

Terry

Thanks for your replies & help , Terry.

I got a reply today in relation to the appointment:

'
Thanks for your reply and send your residency appointment for September
to be scrutinized by the Baord.'

Will try and see if we can submit some other docs also once the banks /jobs & etc. are sorted. As long as we can get this all sorted within 2 weeks, we should be fine as we were given 30 days to submit all docs

Hello
Can anyone tell me.
Got all the documentation together for the application for:

Transfer of Residence
Application  For Exemption from Motor Vehicle Registration Tax.
30 days from entry of vehicle.(owned the car 7 years)

Can this be presented before applying for Vehicle Registration (just worried about the 20 day from entry rule)

Documents to produce for Registration

I have one list of documents from Transport Malta that tells me:

'Valid VRT Test Certificate(issued by a VRT Station from Malta or any other country from EU member states)

Was given another list at Transport Malta Valid - VRT(issued by local VRT Station)

Is the UK one acceptable??

Confused and running out of time...Please help

You submit the application first ( your vehicle stays on original plates until exemption is approved they issue a temp document stating your application is being processed), VRT must be from Malta VRT station.

Terry

Don't worry about the VRT if it passes an MOT it will fly through  a VRT. We got our VRT when we arrived but the exemption took over three months to be approved. When we went to register the car they would not accept the VRT as it was older than three months! So we had to go  and get another VRT, I guess this is because the VRT, Tax and insurance are all linked.

Terry

Hi Terry
Many thanks on that.
Confused on what to do about registering the car in the meantime.
Do I wait for the tax exemption process to complete/return then register the car?
Thanks
Sean

tearnet wrote:

Don't worry about the VRT if it passes an MOT it will fly through  a VRT.

for most things, thats true, but not for rust - in Malta they are much stricter on rust on non-structural bits of bodywork

Reggie2 wrote:

Hi Terry
Many thanks on that.
Confused on what to do about registering the car in the meantime.
Do I wait for the tax exemption process to complete/return then register the car?
Thanks
Sean

You start the registration process by applying for the exemption, once that is done then you can register the vehicle.

Terry

Many thanks on that Terry.
Been playing on my mind for days...
Did you drop your application off by hand or registered post.
I would assume you get a receipt or something when dropped by hand?
If by hand can you remember which booth number you presented it at.
Bit of a daft question in that mad place 'Hall B'
thanks
Sean

We handed it in, hall B as you go in the door turn left and its the second clockwise, got a receipt that authorises you to use the vehicle until your application has been processed (I think it says 3 months ).

Don't worry, this is Malta.

Terry

That's brill Terry.
I'll try and drop first thing Monday will be there at 6am as I would imagine there's a long line of people!!
I just wanted to ask the question I asked you when I was there earlier this week.By the time I was pointed to the correct cubicle they were wrapping up..
But 'hey' as you said 'its Malta'..
Just got to do the wife's car only owned that a few months(as our 19 year old decided to write off the other car we had owned for two years a month before we left)so gotta suck the duty on that one.
Guess were stuck with the 20 day rule on that one which means sorting by end of next week...or run it until October and get a single to Sicily then a single back?? Guess a return wouldn't wash eh?
I noticed you're in Mellieha,we love the place,hate Swieqi where we are and plan a move in January. Only made base here as it's a friends place and thought our 19 year old would have a ball in Paceville. Spends all his time in Mellieha,just got on the football team last night.
Just got himself a job at Popeye village.
Must buy you a beer in the band club for your kind advice.
Sean

Reggie2 wrote:

That's brill Terry.
I'll try and drop first thing Monday will be there at 6am as I would imagine there's a long line of people!!
I just wanted to ask the question I asked you when I was there earlier this week.By the time I was pointed to the correct cubicle they were wrapping up..
But 'hey' as you said 'its Malta'..
Just got to do the wife's car only owned that a few months(as our 19 year old decided to write off the other car we had owned for two years a month before we left)so gotta suck the duty on that one.
Guess were stuck with the 20 day rule on that one which means sorting by end of next week...or run it until October and get a single to Sicily then a single back?? Guess a return wouldn't wash eh?
I noticed you're in Mellieha,we love the place,hate Swieqi where we are and plan a move in January. Only made base here as it's a friends place and thought our 19 year old would have a ball in Paceville. Spends all his time in Mellieha,just got on the football team last night.
Just got himself a job at Popeye village.
Must buy you a beer in the band club for your kind advice.
Sean

Looking forward to it

:cheers:

Will let you know when I'm over at Mellieha will be dropping Frazier off at football weds and I think tomorow at Popeye Village in the morning.Do people exchange numbers on here or you can email me no prob on [email protected]

Unfortunately I have pulled a muscle in my back and am having to stay at home until it gets better, I'll email you once  I am back to drinking form :D

Terry

No problem Terry
Hope the back gets better soon.
Regards
Sean

Hi  Reggie

'I'll try and drop first thing Monday will be there at 6am as I would imagine there's a long line of people!!'

When we went there was no line or any other people at all - only staff . :)

Tina I obviously went on a bad day last time!!
Cheers

Good morning,

We just received a register letter this morning advising that our tax exemption application has been approved !!!! :D So we just saved ourselves about €3.500 ;) Seeing that the process was successful , if anyone has any questions - just ask, will be glad to help :)

Hi Tina

That's fantastic news.Well done...

Mine is being processed.

I just got the letter when I dropped off the documents at Malta transport,I was told by the staff that apparently a certificate arrives in the post so you can continue to use the car during the process??

I must have previously gone there on a bad day as this visit the staff at the counters in Hall B were courteous,polite and very helpful.

Anyway well done again!

Sean

Thanks Sean. And yes, you do get the letter in the post - our one is valid for 3 months. Now we have 20 days to register the car with TM and get the new plates . Finally !

Have a good weekend

Justina

Just had a letter from Transport Malta regarding our Tax Exemption on our vehicle (owned for 8 years)
Sent a boat load of documents to prove ownership for that period.
TM have requested:
Proof of Acquisition and Disposal of property.
We have not sold our UK property,our son now lives in it.
Can prove Acquisition but not disposal because we have not disposed.
Any suggestions or others experience for a response welcome.
Thanks

We didn't have any proof of disposal either (we did not own the property in Ireland), but I have included some extra docs explaining in the letter what it is - e.g. proof of cancelled pet insurance & explained, that it would not be valid once moved abroad. Also included final electricity bills showing the dates we moved out ( I know this wouldn't apply to you though). This is mainly to prove that you have transferred your residency here and did not just come over for 6 months. Oh, I've included copy of e-mail confirming our residency appointment, copy of letters received with social security & tax numbers. Anything at all you can think of - just send them up, the more the better.

Good luck
Justina

Reggie2 wrote:

Just had a letter from Transport Malta regarding our Tax Exemption on our vehicle (owned for 8 years)
Sent a boat load of documents to prove ownership for that period.
TM have requested:
Proof of Acquisition and Disposal of property.
We have not sold our UK property,our son now lives in it.
Can prove Acquisition but not disposal because we have not disposed.
Any suggestions or others experience for a response welcome.
Thanks

As Tinna9 said its more to do with proving you have (or applied for ) residency in Malta. Swamp them with anything you have and just sit back and wait.
We got stopped by a TM road check, the guy asked why we were still on French plates after three months. We showed him our temp letter and explained that we were still waiting, he made a phone call there and then, lo and behold two days later we had our letter come to say it had been approved!

Good luck
Terry

Can anyone advise.

Transport Malta regarding our Tax Exemption on our vehicle (owned for 8 years)

They have requested proof of: 'acquisition and disposal of property overseas'

Sold our property July 2011 can prove that have copies of docs emailed from solicitor. Cannot give us copies of acquisition as the 6 year rule does not require the solicitor to keep copies of purchase although they have emailed confirm when we purchased in 2002.

we have been in a rented property the last 2 years,have copies of  rental agreements.2011 - 2012 & 2012 - 2013.

Problem - all our mail has been forwarded/Royal Mail redirected to our rented accommodation since the sale/disposal of our property in 2011.

The log book for the car is still registered at our property we sold in 2011.

Should we present all the above (inc rental agreement 2011-2013) Does anyone think/experienced it will be a problem that the address of the rented property is different from the disposed property 2011????

We have everything TM/Board have requested just different address last two years from log book.

Cheers

So long as the address is outside of Malta then I cannot see a problem. TM are looking for proof that you owned the vehicle for more than 2 years outside of Malta before bringing the car into Malta and that you are a resident of Malta.
I guess that TM are looking at the fact that you still have a property abroad in your name? and that you have not applied or cannot prove that you have applied for residency in Malta?
Either one of these may make them suspicious.
Remember that they are looking for reasons NOT to give you tax exemption, its up to you to prove you do.

Terry

Noted Terry
Think I should give the sale/disposal property 2011 only then?
or also include rental agreement last two years but the address is not the same as log book (mail forwarded from old disposed property address last 2 years)
House was in my wife's name as I was traveling a lot at the time of purchase,can put in Marriage certificate and copies of her passport etc.
They also asked foe 2010-11 2011-2012 certificates of insurance which I have just received copies to give them