Buying a mattress in Hoi An or Danang

Hi all, have happily settled into life in Hoi An and living in a nice furnished little place halfway between the beach and the city. Perfect........except for the mattress. It's straight which is great - it's very hard. I'm looking for a place to buy a foam or latex thin mattress to put on top of the firm one. Does anyone know where I could find one in either Hoi an or Danang? Thanks, Beth

Heya we have just moved here and have the same problem. Did you manage to find one and if so could you let me know where from?

RobynNZ,
I've just joined this group as I'm about to move from California to Hoi An.  Why?  I don't know.  Just did some research and it looked like a place I could be very happy in my retirement.  How do you like Hoi An so far?  Did you find a mattress?  You say yours is too hard?  I actually want a hard mattress.  I think how I've struggled to sleep without waking up with a bad back in a few places so my fear was I couldn't find a good very firm mattress.  Did you rent a house or an apartment?  I'm curious what the places are going for?  And if you don't mind my asking are you close enough to the town to walk there or do you need a bicycle or scooter?  I'm really excited about seeing Hoi An in person since it sounds so good from the mouths of the people I've seen or heard talking about it.
Thanks and I hope you are enjoying it there.
Ken in Napa

Hi Ken
We are only living here for three months. We rented a nice 2 bedroom house through Hoi An real estate. Easy to find on Google and you can browse properties to rent or buy.  Our place is quite large with 2 bdrms two bathrooms and western style kitchen for $400 us a month. I would suggest not staying close to the town centre as it is really busy with tourists and living a bit out means your within a proper community and get more involved with the locals and culture as well as not paying tourist price for everything. . It is a beautiful city with quite a lot of ex pat retired prople. You do need a bike or scooter to get around we chose a bike and can cycle into the centre or to the beach within 15 minutes. Local markets are amazing as well.
Regarding the mattress, if renting long term just buy your own. Most traditional houses come with what can only be described as a layer of wood. Not the type of firm you will want. Denang is only 20 minutes away and buying a mattress there should not be a problem or at all costly. We ended up asking a guy at a motorcycle seat repair shop to sell us a giant custom cut piece of foam around 5cm thick and for $20 works a treat. Now it's more like a futon bed.  Hope this helps!

Robyn

Hi Robyn,
Brilliant idea! Thank you. We, no doubt like every expat that comes to Asia, have been trying to work out an option for this problem too. In the past we have obtained a foam layer from furniture makers. We just haven't tried there yet.
Anne

Hi Anne if you can't manage to find somewhere that will do it let me know and I'll find you the address on Cua Dai that we went to!

Thanks for that. We will.

Hi again Robyn,
At last we have found our house. Could you possibly send me the name of that shop you purchased the foam from? This would save me a very long find and bargain time! What size bed was yours to give me a pricing idea? Thanks for the help,
Anne

Heya Anne

I have left Hoi An now but  I will try to describe it.    It  is on Cua Dai road closer to  the town end not beach end and if you're going away from town it is on the right side.  If you can Google the men's weights gym on Cua Dai it is not far from there.  It's only a small motorcycle seat repair shop.  Not always open but you will see the foam.  Failing finding him just anywhere you see foam they should be able to cut you a piece.  Our bed was a King and it cost us 600,000 dong.  Sorry I can't help with location further if I was there I would take you there sorry!

Hi,
Thanks for that. I've done the same at upholstery shops but I thought your man was worth a try for price. Mine was considerably more (but it was 4" thick), so I need some bargaining power! I'm sure I'll find with your directions.
Thanks
Anne