Advice and suggestions for an expatriate

Good evening every body, I am a civil engineer graduated this year from India and i have been living in Riyadh since my birth, I am a very talented and hardworking individual with excellent academics. Now i am unable to find a decent job here even though there is lot of requirement for engineers, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ANY TIPS AND IDEAS FOR GETTING EMPLOYED...I HAVE TRIED ALMOST ALL THE ONLINE JOB PORTALS BUT NO RESULT HAS COME...ANY ADVICE WOULD B APPECIATED. JAZAKALLAH AND THANX

The best advice here would be: Don't lose hopes.

The job market has been horrible but I strongly believe than situation will change dramatically on expiry of the ongoing grace period i.e. 3rd of July. Meanwhile explore the evolution in the job hunting methodologies; majorly the linkedin paradigm (and similars).

Thank you, your advice is appreciated

- Arab News on Saturdays are usually when Companies looking for recruiting place their adds.

- Calling the firm after sending your CV for follow-up is a very good tip.

- Networking.

- Looking for a Wassta and calling people for favors

My experience with job portals are huge and what I know is numbers matter there. Just to give you a simple insight:

If you apply for 3 -4 or up to 10 jobs online chances of you getting called for an interview from the pile of applications an employer receives is very rare, unless of course your CV stands out like a flashing beacon. If you dont have a killer CV the game plan is to apply for as many jobs as you can in these portals.

Simple statistics - if you apply for at least 50-80 jobs you might get called for an interview for 10 or less and your chances of getting an offer is may be 1-3. So the more you apply the more chances you get.

Another option is to modify your CV to make it stand out, you have to think from the perspective of a recruiter or HR guy. What will they be looking in the CV. Most people make the common mistake of writing what they have done (commonly under duties & responsibilities) and not what they have accomplished.

Even if you are fresh grad with no experience, you can highlight what you have done with your life and accomplished so far. Like for example: Part of a team that accomplished something in college or university etc.

Good luck and as TLL said dont loose hope, there is always some opportunity waiting for you. Dont look for money now- look for a decent company and a learning experience.