Coming to Casa

Hi
I am offered a job as a teacher in Casablanca and wondering if you can help me.  Single and don't spend much. The package is $2100 / month with apartment, walking distance to work, health and some minor benefits.
I know it is enough to live and save, but is this considered a good teacher salary in Casablanca?  I am worried about being lonely and not making friends. 
Thanks for the help in advance.

I can't speak French, only English.  I want to learn Arabic.  Any ideas of formal classes?

By the way can I have a private conversation with someone who is living in Casa?

Hi Manuman,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I also invite you to check other threads on the Casablanca forum. You may find some useful information.

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi Manuman,

welcome to Casablanca. i think $2100 is fairly a good salary since you dont spend much.However, you can always look for a better salary if you show a good talent in teaching and once you are familiar with the city and way of life and gain some experience working in Morocco. you ll surely not be alone in Casablanca. you ll be able to make many friends simply be careful to pick up the right ones. i can help you to set up in the city and get familiar with it if you d like. as far as leaning Arabic, i can help you to learn it. i have put an ad on here for teaching Arabic and French for free. it is lot of fun to teach English speakers the language.
wishing you a good stay

Moha

come on, an engineer in Morocco can barely make 2000 a month. It can not get any better for you. go for it and you will not regret it. 2000 dollars in Morocco is equal to 4000 in the USA and with benefits(house....) you can not beat that.

Too Late for this year, but I am hoping to get similar offer for next year.
Thanks for the help, and lets stay in touch hopefully we will meet one day!!!

Hey mate

Im South African and been living in casa for about 3 months now. It is a hell of a culture shock coming from a western society to casa. But so far I have enjoyed it. I don't speak French, like you, but starting to pick up some French.
Reckon to be socially active you need try and learn French or Arabic.
Unfortunately I cant help you with the salary advice. I have no idea what a fair salary for Maroc teacher is.
If you decide to come to maroc give me shout, we can go get a beer.

Cheers
Leroi

welcome

Manuman wrote:

Hi
I am offered a job as a teacher in Casablanca and wondering if you can help me.  Single and don't spend much. The package is $2100 / month with apartment, walking distance to work, health and some minor benefits.
I know it is enough to live and save, but is this considered a good teacher salary in Casablanca?  I am worried about being lonely and not making friends. 
Thanks for the help in advance.

I can't speak French, only English.  I want to learn Arabic.  Any ideas of formal classes?

By the way can I have a private conversation with someone who is living in Casa?

Looking at the salary, are you sure that offer is genuine?  As that's a lot of money in Morocco! :unsure

I wouldn't dream of such salary in my wildest dreams! If I was given such money I'd make it a slam-dunk decision to come! It's indeed a way too good salary, just make sure first you're not being scammed or such. Friends will come given the right time, and you have all the classes you need to learn Arabic. All the best!:)

I'm pretty certain it's a scam. It's over $25,000 per year (including apartment & healthcare in the package). Do even I.T guys, Engineers, Doctors, and other Professionals, earn that much in Morocco? Or even a Lecturer at University?

It all depends. a teacher at "the american language center" makes 250dh an hour. they can only work around 25hrs a week though. an engineer can make twice that if not more. English teacher at other reputable language schools get paid 120dh an hour.

I guess that's the case for those with prestigious qualifications & many years of experience.