Questions about living in Pemba

Hello everyone!

I am scouting Pemba for a possible stay of four or five months (August through late December). I would love to hear your thoughts!

1) Should I take anti-malarials? I've never taken them before on my travels because I fear the side effects. But I'd also dislike getting malaria...

2) Is there a Hash House Harriers group in Pemba? There is one in Maputo but I can't find one in Pemba online.

3) What is the cheapest (yet safe) way to get to Jo'burg and Luanda from Pemba? How much would the round trip cost?

4) Is there a language school that has Mandarin Chinese courses in Pemba? Anyone know possible cost of taking a course or hiring a tutor for this?

5) Are books expensive in Pemba/Maputo? I don't want to lug books all the way to Mozambique but would rather buy them cheaply and carry them over if they are expensive over there. I can get used books here cheaply.

6) Is there a good library in Pemba? Such as a university library? Portuguese language is fine.

7) How does one typically get around town? I won't have a car and my budget will be low.

Anything else you think I should know about living in Pemba is welcome!

Thank you!!!

Hi there,

I'm considering moving to Pemba for about 3 months to fast track learning portugese.

Did you move to Pemba, where did you stay any tips on living/moving there?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

PS: Did you venture anywhere else in moz other than Maputo. I'm well acquinted with Maputo and the southern side of moz and know that there's enough english/tsonga speakers for me to get by without having to speak portugese so I know moving there wont help my mission. Anywhere else in moz is good, so do let me know if you've been.