Driving in jakarta

Hey all, I am moving to Jakarta on June 24th for two years and was curious about what it is like to drive there? I understand the traffic is horrendous and the driving etiquette is lawless at best. However, I wonder what it is like to drive a scooter there? Would this be a good mode of transport?

In the busiest areas, forget it unless you enjoy suicide.
In quieter areas, watch the roads for a few hours, grow eyes in your bum and learn how to pray.
Drivers and riders seem to have a competition to prove they can do the daftest thing possible on a road.
Overtaking and turning left before they clear you is common as is overtaking you and pulling in before they actually get past you.
One idiot lost his wing mirror to my elbow as he did the first and another got a full force slap to his passenger door as a warning when he did the second. It was that or I went into the ditch - not for me, thanks.
Another, especially daft cow, took a kick to her boot as she tried to reverse into me without actually looking back as she did so.
A kick to her car was better than her smashing into my parked bike.

A driving licence usually costs a bribe, sorry, fee of Rp400,000 per year.
Insurance is pretty much impossible to get but medical insurance is a must.
Reliance or sinar mas seems to be good firms but there is another that hangs around in malls, asking you how much you want to spend but, so I'm informed by 2 hospitals, dislike paying out.
Blue bird taxis have a very good Android app that may save you a few limbs.

If you are going to ride then make sure you have a licence and health insurance. The biggest bike is a 250 and above that the tax gets silly.
Ride with the traffic but dont weave or rush,ride your line watching for anything coming to you and let anything pass. Try to avoid turning into traffic. Use lights and indicators all the time. Do your best not to get angry but should then choose expensive cars to hit but make sure you can get away.
If you hit something or someone, being western can cause you problems. Accidents bring mobs and the police arent much help unless they have witnessed it.
Schoolkids and mindless locals on bikes or driving buses cause the most problems. For buses I mean all types of public transport. The majority of riders are sane as they are normally going or coming from work. Cars tend to be wary of most riders and the trucks are huge so choose wisely.
There is a huge disregard for road safety and rules however if you keep your wits about and ride as if your life means something then the city is fun to explore and simple to get about in. I ride across the city for work and its OK and sometimes nothing scary happened whilst doing so but that is rare.
Riding your own bike is better than being a passenger. Owning a car is also simple enough until something hits you or you hit them. Bule=money so be very very careful. Car drivers often get blamed for things even if they are hit.

- you have to wear your helmet all the time
- its very hot out there on a bike :D
- However, I think it saves more time than driving a car (in Jkt traffic), though sometimes it just gets too ridiculous that you cant even move, thats when motorbike riders would start looking for "Jalan Tikus" literally means the rat's way. Pavements, small alleys, anything thats possible. Though its original meaning is a shorter way to get to the destination.
- not a good idea for girls to drive at night thru quiet areas.

Slow is the only way.
Speed means less reaction time and that kills on these roads.
Stay at traffic speed on flowing roads and keep your eyes peeled for the stream of idiots from behind.
Mini buses stop and only God knows when...that includes the drivers as they'll slam to a halt anywhere if they see a potential customer. Being in the second lane doesn't stop them.

If we don't want to be stuck traffic jam in Jakarta use only motorcycle because it can be overtake than car, or riding a bicycle while a car free day on Sunday morning in Bundaran HI