Moving to Tunis, Tunisia

Hi,

This is my first post here so I would first like to introduce myself. I am looking to move to Tunisia in the next 2 months however it is quite a scary move for me. I have managed to get a job in the UK working out of office so I have got an income sorted however I know very little about Tunisia and speak no French or Arabic and fear this may be an issue.

I have got a few questions to ask if anyone is willing to help.

1. I was wondering if the language barrier will be a problem, I am working for an English company so that will be no issue, however when trying to arrange things like Accomodation, Bills, Internet etc I can imagine it will be.

2. What is the tax like there, in the UK we have council tax does a similar thing exist in Tunisia? Any hidden costs I should know about like TV licenses

3. I am getting an income of 3700dt a month, will this be enough for me to live on including bills, rent, food etc?

4. How do the visa's work exactly? I will technically be working in the UK so will not be working in Tunisia. Will this still be okay when applying for a permanent visa? What would peoples suggestions be on this.

5. The last question is relating to internet, I am going to need high speed internet for my job, minimum 15mb/s is this possible in Tunis? If so could anyone please point me in the direction of a good provider for a cheap cost, I was looking at orange however I wasn't to sure what speeds they offer.

Also if there are any other English expats living in Tunis it would be great to meet up!

Thanks,
Simon

Simon,

Clearly it all depends on attitude when living in different cultures and not speaking the language.   I have no Arabic but have been picking it up bit by bit.   French is very helpful but if you stay in the main expat areas it is not entirely necessary.   Most folks you run into will speak some English in those areas.  Taxi drivers will be one of the biggest challenge as far as language goes.   

Your income will make you very comfortable.   Taxes will depend on how you set up your paperwork and your visa.   I can give you my experience if you want to email me directly.   

For internet we have 4 megs but Hexabyte offers up to 20.   

Let me know if you need more info.

Hi Babies,

Thankyou so much for the reply, some really great info I have sent you a private message for more info.

Thanks,
Simon

dude, go get work in another country

Simon,

You really need to read and speak at least French to be able to adapt more easily in Tunisia; unless you have friends around who might help you translating and interpreting for you when signing a lease, getting internet and phone service, moving around the city on a taxi.

About the taxes, check this website:  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dtmanual/dt19000+.htm

There are lots of Brits living in Tunisia, you might want to get in touch with them to ask about Taxes.

In my personal experience, I lived there for more than a year, and I can tell you that I knew the basic Tunisia Arabic but I am fluent in French and I could adapt easily, but I got my difficult moments when the taxi drivers didn't speak French and refused to drive me anywhere. I got kicked out of at least 3 taxis during that year until I learned enough Arabic to move around.

The internet is OK, but you need to either buy the USB (it's slow) or have a phone line. I was working online as well and it was the best service, keep in mind that when there are important soccer games, the internet service is VERY SLOW! I couldn't work very well when Tunisians were streaming their soccer games.

I recommend you TOPNET for Internet and Telecom for phone service.

Good luck!

Angela

Man don't worry , the language will not cause any trouble to you ..The salary will be enough and more than enough to live a comfortable life ..The visa , it is up to you to ask ! as for the internet yes surewe do have good internet conexion such as Topnet :) enjoy your stay man ...

Hi Simon

you are welcome in Tunisia and the salary they offered is good and you will enjoy here..
I wish to meet English speakers.

Thanks

Waleed

Dear Simon,

At first, you will face some problems in terms of language and especially taxi but later you will get used to life in Tunisia which is very beautiful. Don't focus on the negative comments about Tunisia, Believe our country is even safer than the UK and people are very lovely and friendly. Your salary will help you to cover all your needs in terms of housing, taxes, transportation and food.
I will send you my email and number in private message and in case you need anything when you arrive, i will ready to help you and connect you to some reliable and honest people who will help you in finding a house with a good price and less fees.
you are welcome in Tunisia
warm regards

I have been most of the african countries,Tunisia is the best and lively place to live and work,
I hope to open a business show room for Turkish and British industrial products,
Bt rgds
Kemal