Living in Hoi An

I've just joined up and while I realise Hoi An isn't on your list of destinations it's where I'm planning to move to. I'm here in Hoi An for another two weeks before returning to Noosa Heads in Australia and would be delighted to make contact with anyone who has already made the move to Hoi An and knows the ropes.

Hi Easyas

Did you have any luck re Hoi An?

I am currently in Australia (Newcastle), about to complete sale of business and looking to head up to Hoi An around September, on advice from another aussie who has spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam.

Ive been trying to find long term accom. with little success.

If you had any advice re Hoi An, would appreciate same..

Cheers

Hi Ozbroker

No, not really - I only had another week to go. I did see a couple of houses for rent - one quite large, OK'ish and only US$300 per month but for a minimum 12 month lease. There was another - very spic, including own shrine to the Virgin Mary, everything that opens and shuts from an electronic perspective - US$700 per month for 12 months, $800 for 6 months. There would be more but Hoi An doesn't seem to have nay Real Estate agents which means it's all word of mouth!
are you planning a long holiday or are you thinking of opening a business there?
Keep in touch - I'm probably going back for another look see in a few weeks time.

Hey are you still looking to live in Hoian?  We moved here 3 weeks ago and have a great house very central... brand new 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom, aircon, fans etc... close to beach, ancient city and next door to the locals market place... we love it.. and there is an identical house attached right next door that is still empty and the landlord wants to rent it to westerners like us... If you are still interested let me know I should be able to help you.. photos, details etc... cheers

Hello,
Thanks for your post.
Yes, I would be very interested in receiving details etc. Timing is fine - as soon as I can get visa!
My email address is [email protected].
Hope to hear from you soon!
Best wishes,

Brian Pound

Hi there,
I'm not an agent. I am living in Singapore but my home town is Hoi An. Thus, I know clearly about Hoi An

There is no Real estate agent in Hoi An. The long term accommodation is not easy to find. Most of the owners prefer long-term contract (2-3 years).

It's better for you if you rent a house far away the center which costs around 700-1000 USD. It is for business purpose.

Hoi An is very small, you can rent a house which is not in the center. If can take 10 minutes by motorbike to get to the center. Price is also cheap (200-400 USD/month). It could be a full- furniture, beautiful design....Absolutely value money.

Hope it helps!

If u have further questions about Hoi An, pls don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Hello,

We are renting a house near Cua dai Beach, and we have one cheap room available, if you are interested, feel free to contact me.

Marine

Welcome on Expat.com Biscotte00 ;)

Please post your message on the Classifieds page, Section>Accommodation. Thanks for your kind understanding :)

Regards

[Moderated: Please post your message on the Classifieds page, Section>Accommodation]

Hi I will move to Hoi An in June ...Can any one tell me if spear fishing is legal in Vietnam?
Thank you
André

Hi André!

Welcome on the forum! ;)

Armand

hi Armand
Thank you
André

Hi,

I am moving to Hoi An very soon and am looking for a one or two bedroom apartment or small house to rent just for myself. Nothing fancy, just simple, clean and cosy.

Would really appreciate it if you could let me know of any such places available and whom I can get in touch with to find out more.

Thanks!
Matin

Hello Matin and welcome to the forum!

I invite you to post and advert in Hoi An classifieds > accommodation section, this may help.;)

Harmonie.

Hello Harmonie,

Thanks! I'll do just that!

Best,
Matin

why don't you talk about Da Nang?

Biscotte00 wrote:

Hello,
We are renting a house near Cua Dai Beach, and we have one cheap room available, if you are interested, feel free to contact me. Marine

Hi, Marine:
I hope you read that tatty looking English language sign that was erected by the Cua Dai People's Committee that warns about extreme dangers on the beach opposite the intersection of the beach road with the road to Hoi An.

I stayed at the Beach for 5 months or so a couple of years ago and the number of drowned people was more than the fingers on my hands.

Hotels and locals like to downplay the danger. Just learn which red flags indicate dangerous times - they are only slightly different in colour from the national flag!

andre07700 wrote:

Hi I will move to Hoi An in June ...Can any one tell me if spear fishing is legal in Vietnam?
Thank you
André

Hi there Andre,

I am moving to VIetnam towards the end of 2013 but saw your post. Im also an keen spearo, Did you manage to go spearfishing or find any more info?

Regards,
Tom

hoiantourism wrote:

Hi there,
I'm not an agent. I am living in Singapore but my home town is Hoi An. Thus, I know clearly about Hoi An

There is no Real estate agent in Hoi An. The long term accommodation is not easy to find. Most of the owners prefer long-term contract (2-3 years).

It's better for you if you rent a house far away the center which costs around 700-1000 USD. It is for business purpose.

Hoi An is very small, you can rent a house which is not in the center. If can take 10 minutes by motorbike to get to the center. Price is also cheap (200-400 USD/month). It could be a full- furniture, beautiful design....Absolutely value money.

Hope it helps!

If u have further questions about Hoi An, pls don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Hi Yen,

My wife and I plan to travel to central VN.
Are you still in Singapore? Look forward to catching up.
Cheers.

Hi guys,
Just a quick update, hoian is really moving.

We do have one fully fledged real estate agent in Hoian now. alex hartley  [email protected]
and also have a international school and kindy.

So its perfect for families to come
cheers Kerre Burley

Do you have any contacts in regard to accommodation in Hoi An?

Look at hoianhouse.com French Alex will set you up. We visited early feb and he showed us a few places.$250 to $500 a month will see you in a pretty good place. We moving over early next year.

BigJ, are you able to email me on how you went about getting all the visas etc to enable you to move to Hoi An permanetly? Find it very hard to get information on correct procedures.
Email [email protected].
Thanks Michael

Hi,

We are living in Mooloolaba and also want to move to Hoi An. Wont be going in the next two weeks though.
What made you choose Hoi An?

Unless you marry a Vietnamese person or start a business it seems renewing you visa every 3months is the only way to go. There are several posts on this. It seems there are a lot of expats in hoi an so get a 3 month visa then talk to a expat there as it seems pretty easy to renew it.  We picked hoi an because of its central location and beautiful surroundings. Danang has a international airport but Air Asia doesn't fly there from KL anymore or so it seems. But you can fly to most other places from there. We are using it as a base to travel around as you can pick up a rental for $300 a month. I'm meeting a lady who runs a charity in hoi an in October so I can pick her brain. I will post all the info I gather.

Much appreciated. I concur re the visa as that is what I am also being told.

Does anyone know how easy it is to set up a business in Hoi An. I know of the Dingo Deli wich is run by an aussie,so there must be a process to follow. Any ideas?

Hi from Hoi An. I might be a bit late replying to your post.
has anyone replied to you? If not, feel free to contact me at [email protected]  I have been living in Hoi An, off & on, for 7 years now. I return to Oz for work a couple of times a year. Happy to help out if I can. Cheers, Mai

I live most of the year in Hoi An. Happy to help if I can [email protected]

Hi pipo-hoian,

It would be much appreciated if you can share informations on the Forum as it might be useful for the other members please

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi , I hope to be in Hoi An for a look around in early Nov, are you still in Hoi An ?

It would be great to catch up and talk about some of the do's and dont's

Thanks,

Tim

Hi , really interested in hearing what you find out about staying in Hoi An , I am looking at doing the same ..

Thanks,

Tim

Hi tim, My wife and I are taking the plunge and moving to hoi an in early Feb. We have received heaps of great advice and tips from this site. Hoi an local experience is on facebook which is good.
Here are some small tips rentals French Alex who runs nha toi hoi an great website. If you send him a email he may show you some houses. Visa looks like a 3 mth renewal is the only way to go that's if you aren't working or married to a Vietnamese person. Heaps of expats willing to help out, so save up and join the fun.

Thanks BigJed ,

I should be there Nov 7 for about 5 / 6 full days , this will be my recon visit ..

Many thanks ..

Tim

Good idea we did the same. Try coconut tours Phuoc runs it and he is not a bad bloke. He speaks English well and of course has many contacts.

Hey BigJed,

Where did you stay in Hoi An , how much a night ?
You can also get me on [email protected] ..

Tim

Hi Everyone....although I'm not in Hoi an at the moment I lived there a few years ago...loved it!...
I moved from Australia with my husband and 8 year old daughter whom I home schooled. I rented a lovely big 3 story house in Cua Dai beach just across the road from the beach and restaurants, $450 per month.
One of the discussions on this thread has been about visa's....maybe things have changed but, I entered on a tourist visa and got the hotel that I first stayed at to get me business visa, easy process, think it cost around $150US....
As for work, I taught English from the house I rented. I converted one of the rooms into a classroom...I have loads of information to pass on if anyone is interested...would be happy to have my brain picked....

Hi, we are a family of 4 with the kids being 5 and 7. We are looking for an international living experience while the kids are still young. We have been to Hoi An previously and loved the pace and size. Would love to give it a go even for a few months....

An advice would be great. We are also looking at house swap arrangements as we live in Cairns Queensland Australia which would be great for an international family to experience.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren,

I'm not sure about the house swap thing.....Hoi an is a small place with not a lot of money so travel for a lot of the locals would be a pipe dream; most of them don't even have a bank account let alone a passport. Of course there a more wealthy people living there, I'm not sure though how to tap into a house swap in the area.

I lived and worked there with my husband and 8 years old daughter and loved it...........

If there's anything you'd like to know drop me a line......

Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you mean about house swap, we were more considering that for other areas. If we decided Hoi An was a viable option, I think we would rent our house out furnished and use the income to live in Hoi An for a period of time. I have only been there once and loved it.

Did your daughter go to school there? I read there may be an ex pat school which would be a great experience for the kids. I've looked on Alex Hartleys real estate site, is there any pitfalls to watch out for in renting there? We would not be working for income there but would like to be involved in the community, perhaps volunteering, what did you do when you were there? I'm a police officer and my wife a paramedic so probably not much call for our professions, we are more after an experience of spending some time in another country.

Any info or advice you could provide would be great, as we are both interested in the idea and have time to plan things,

Kind regards,

Warren

Hi Warren,

Our family had wonderful experiences while living there; we actually lived in Cui Dai beach which is a small fishing village about 10 minutes drive from Hoi an. We rented a house right opposite the beach, which is really beautiful, and stayed for around 6 months.

I set up an English school from the house, using one room as a classroom; an incredible experience!...I had paying students as well as non-paying students (I have a IV Tesol). It's a very mixed community, meaning, wealthy and extremely poor circumstances living side by side. I didn't look for schools to send my daughter to because I home schooled, in Australia as well as Vietnam. I believe there is an International school there though, it was set up in 2010; take a look at the website, it sounds quite good (Green Shoots International School). As far as what the kids will get out of it.... there's too many positives to mention...traveling and living in other cultures is an incredible education to give kids; our daughter is well rounded and so accepting of other people , not only from other countries but in Australia as well. Travel is a huge part of her life, she is 16 now and loves nothing better than packing up and taking off to Asia. Anyway, that's a whole other story......but our love of Asia started with Vietnam, Hoian.....

In my opinion with you wanting to get involved in community projects I would certainly be living in Cui Dai. I say this because not too many westerners live there, the beach is lovely, the restaurants are great as are the local businesses, they will all get to know you and really welcome you; the kids will have no shortage of playmates, I assure you....

We rented our house privately so I can't give you any information about real estate agents. The best thing to do is just go there, stay in one of the many great, cheap hotels and ask around; mention to the locals that you're looking to rent, you never know. What we had to do with our place was, pay in advance, 3 months, and register at the court house which cost 200US. They tend to make up there own rules there though so I'm not sure what your experience will be like; possibly a real estate agent could be an option.

I wouldn't see anything as an obstacle though Warren, just go there and feel your way......

Glad to help....let me know if you need more information....you can PM me if you like ([email protected])

Carol

Closed