INCOME TAX IN SPAIN FOR AMERICANS

Hi,

I lived and worked in Spain all of last year and am about to file my income tax at the hacienda.  I obtained Spanish tax residency last year.  Can anyone tell me if I am obligated to pay Spanish taxes?  I was under the impression that I only had to pay U.S. taxes and not Spanish.  Any help you can give me is much appreciated! 

Tim

tycash wrote:

Hi,

I lived and worked in Spain all of last year and am about to file my income tax at the hacienda.  I obtained Spanish tax residency last year.  Can anyone tell me if I am obligated to pay Spanish taxes?  I was under the impression that I only had to pay U.S. taxes and not Spanish.  Any help you can give me is much appreciated! 

Tim

tim,

generally you pay your tax in the country you work in and incur your income. doesnt matter whether you are an american, foreign or spanish.

only, for some convoluted twist of fate, you are being taxed in usa for the work you are doing in spain, you could invoke a treaty to prevent double taxation in between countries (every country has that), and prove to spain that you have been taxed to whatever extent in usa. and then they wouldnt tax you.