Just found this site

my boyfriend is from libya. we met here in the u.s. we're planning on getting married and have discussed living in libya at some point down the road. i'm trying to find out more about the realities of living in libya as an american and this is the first time i've come in contact with americans who have moved to libya. i'd love to hear others stories and how they find it.

thanks!
brit

Britbea -- not sure if this was sent, so just sending again.   I may be able to help you with questions.  I am married to a Libyan for 25 years (I'm American), and I was in the same position as you so many years ago.  Please let me know if I can help.

Nora

thanks. i just want to know about some of the realities of it and daily life and all. also if there are very many job opportunities there for americans. checking out this forum has been interesting. i'm curious to know what's brought others to libya and if they plan on making it a permanent home.

also, nora, you mentioned that you lived in dubai. how did you find it. this is another place that we've discussed as well.

I think it takes time to get used to living in Libya. It is obviously very different from the US and you will find many things difficult here.  I assume you will also have your boyf's family to deal with here which in itself can be hard going! I would try and arrange work before you come as here you will be on a local contract which if you are lucky will be around 1000-1500 dinars per month. Working in a school or an embassy are job options.  Again, working is a priority here or you will find yourself very bored. We are all different but this is my opinion being here. Libyans are usually very friendly to expats so I'm sure they will be happy to get to know an American....no issues there. Good luck. I would come for a long holiday though before moving to see how you like things.