Tips & tricks for networking in China

Let's start with a couple of assumptions, if you are reading this you are new to China and do not speak Chinese which leads us to my first observation – You cannot network in China (or I dare to suggest anywhere else) via an interpreter.

If this is true there is no point in discussing here the traditional Chinese approach to networking. There is a word in Chinese called guanxi which is often translated as connections or sometimes as relationship building. This translation is not 100% accurate because it can often be via an intermediary – for example, I have good guanxi with big boss A because his wife's cousin and my Mother were in the same class at University. I think the best translation of guanxi is a word that I (think I) invented called netbonding. That is to say it is stronger than standard networking and when not inherited can be obtained by consuming gallons of alcohol and frequenting karaoke bars with the person in question, normally at your expense.

This therefore leaves us with the relatively limited networking potential with your own countrymen and or Chinese people that speak your language or speak a language that you speak. As a large generalisation this means that you will not have an opportunity to network with more senior (elder) Chinese people.

Most country's have a Chamber of Commerce in the larger Chinese cities and they provide a good platform to meet with fellow countrymen and with Chinese people who have studied in your country or are working for a company that is connected somehow to your country. From time to time these Chambers of Commerce band together for multi-chamber events. There are also organisations such as the FCGroup that are not country specific and provide a platform for nationals of all countries to meet for networking purposes. The FCGroup uses English as the default language for communication.

But why on earth do you need a network? How does it help you? A true network is like an extension of you. It is your additional eyes and ears. If you were born blind, or with only one eye you would find it hard to understand the concept of seeing. If you only have your own two eyes and ears it is often hard to understand the advantages of having these extra eyes and ears. Imagine for a moment that you are looking for a new job, looking for a specific product or niche. The more people assisting you the higher the probability that you will find it. This could be through your own direct network or though the friend of a friend of a friend's network.

So how do you build this network of extra eyes and ears? It is not rocket science it is more of an art. To quote myself … “Networking is an art, be not afraid to start”. In other words if you wish to create a network of friends and potential business and job leads, stop reading this article and go out and meet people. Practice the art of small talk and even more importantly practice listening to people. Yes, people want to hear and learn about you BUT they too want to tell you about themselves as well. People want conversations not monologues. People want conversations not a 10 seconds “Hi, here's my business card, bye” approach. People want conversations; they want to know that you are a worthy partner for future conversations. So, do not try to talk to everyone at an event. It is impossible to converse with them all that well. Talk to a small number and leave a lasting positive impression. If you've already met them once simply say hi, briefly catch up on their news and then decide whether to deepen the connection or to look for new connections.

The concept of networking is to have a net that works for you. It will normally only work for you if you too work for it. Listen to people and help them by voicing your opinion, by being their partner and sharing in their joys or tribulations, be a human pressure release for them.

Nice article, thanks.

Thanks

i think you're absolutely right. i'm lack of network