Police clearance certificate from Cambodia

HELP!  Living in Canada, former expat, lived in Phnom Penh 1998-99, silly Canadian immigration officials seem to think I can somehow get a police clearance certificate from the Ministry of Justice.

Does anyone have any info / advice on how to obtain this mythical piece of paper?

Such are the "rewards" of an expat life, be warned!

If it's like Vietnam, you just pay at a police station - i.e. the "best reference money can buy"

Rod and Rose

maryrose wrote:

If it's like Vietnam, you just pay at a police station - i.e. the "best reference money can buy"

Rod and Rose

Thanks, but I live in Canada.  I have no intention of flying to PP for that particular "experience." 

So - any other advice for how non-residents can obtain this?

Hello there,

I was just wondering if you had any luck getting the police check. I am on the same boat, living in Canada, requiring a police check from Cambodia. Can you please help?

Thanks

@ BBehrouz > Please note that this thread is very old (2010). As the initiator of this thread is not an active member, there is less chance that he will reply you here.

What i can advise you is to create a new thread with all your questions on the Cambodia forum in order to increase your chances of obtaining more feedback.

Thank you and have a nice day

Priscilla  :cheers:

I will do, thanks Priscilla :)

Hi - true, not active : )  I was never able to get the PCC from Cambodia... I did have a lawyer offer to get it for me, to the tune of $400 + (sight unseen).  I kept a log of my call and fax attempts to the MOJ (all failed) submitted that with correspondence from a friend who made an attempt to apply on my behalf and begged me not to ask again, as he was terrified of the police... I submitted this with a request for exemption from the PCC since as a non-citizen, non-resident, I was unable to get this.   I also submitted info from the US State dept saying basically (I'm paraphrasing, it was more diplomatic) that PCCs from Cambodia were basically worthless (note that info is no longer on their website). 

If you're not a citizen of Cambodia, If you make a good faith effort to get the PCC, document your efforts, and write an explanation why you can't provide the PCC, chances are very good that CIC will give you a break.  They just can't officially tell you that.

There is another thread about Cambodian poli e clearances on the forum which provides a detailed description of how one can be obtained,  a search should find it for anyone looking.

Hi everyone,

Please help. I am trying to get a Police Clearance Certificate for Cambodia. The issues are, I am no longer staying there, I didn't register with the songkat at the time I was living there, I didn't know I had too, and the organisation I worked for never instructed me to do so. In addition I  no longer have my entry visa stamp, as it was put into an energy passport that I no longer have.

What should I do? Come to Cambodia to try and speak to the local sangkat, Phone my local Cambodian embassy to see if that can help, or try to find a way around having to supply the document?

I know the official information says that people living outside the country can appoint someone to process the paperwork, but I don't have most of documents needed, for example, a residency certificate and entry visa stamp. I also don't have evidence from a tenancy agreement that I stayed there. Despite living and working in Cambodia for 4 years,

Any help would be great.

Cheers
Nick.

I would say, depends on why you need one, and how hard it is for you to travel there...

Thanks for the response, I am back in the UK, and having this document is a condition of my new employment.

You likely aren't going to be able to get one.  Even if you go, you will have a rough go of it and probably end up resorting to some fake document or another.  Great system, eh?

I would suggest first exploring how you might petition for an exemption.  Barring that, it would cost a lot less to hire a lawyer than traveling there.  US embassy in Phnom Penh used to keep a list of lawyers (for information purposes only) on its website, likely your embassy does as  well.  That's about the most help you will get from your embassy on this point.

Thanks again for the suggestion, and I completely agree. This is for a new job, and really don't wasn't to go back and tell them I can't get it, but at the same time, I am sure they won't be aware of how difficult it is. I had no idea at the time of living in Cambodia that I needed to do this, otherwise  I would have done it. Anyway, I have contacted a lawyer based on embassy recommendations, and will see what they say.

I have also emailed the Cambodian embassy in London, the UK embassy in Cambodia, and lots of people I know to see if there is a way around it. I would recommend to everyone, to do this why you are still there.

On the UK embassy in Cambodia website, it does say I have to do this in person too.