AFTER I HAVE APPLIED FOR RESIDENCY CAN I LEAVE

Ecuador while I am waiting for a reply... as I have a rt ticket and I want to come back for a few weeks to the states to visit family would that be fine or do you know if Immigration is strict about leaving the country ???

Yes,
I have a friend that did exactly that. It is only after you get approved that you can only leave for 90 days a year, for 2 years. After that, no restrictions.
Good Luck

Ps. I've heard of others that started the process from the US with the aid of an attorney in Ecuador

Hi Neil

Are you in Cuenca now? If so, great!!!Anyways, when we get there we will begin our residency process BUT I do need to come back to see our girls as I promised them. I was also going to ask you about furniture? Is it expensive as we are debating whether to rent a furnished or unfurnished ( I just have to get use using someone else's furniture).

It's 98 degrees here in Sacramento yuck! Have a great Day!

I'm on my way back. I'm in the Miami airport right now. Arrive in GYE at about 7:pm, spend the night there, then onto Cuenca in the morning. If you  have the time, you can find a reasonably priced furnished apartment. Or, you could buy, and sell the furniture, or, there are always expats that are going back to the states, and selling their furniture. You have to be careful what furnished means. Sometimes it's pretty minimal, and some boogley stuff. You must view it, and not rely on pictures. I made that mistake with a mail ordered bride, and you should see what I ended up with. Not at all like the picture! < grin >
Good Luck,
Neil

When I applied for my residency visa, my attorney said I shouldn't leave the country during the process-  and after it was approved, immigration kept my passport for almost two weeks (to put the visa stamp in it). This was in Quito though-  maybe it's different in Cuenca.

Neil, el Mago: << Cuenca in the morning >>

So you really did it.  That's great.  I'd say a man who can change a dream into a reality is a magician.

Felicitaciones, mi amigo.

John

thank you for replying that is something to think about ? If you do not mind me asking what was did you pay the Attorney for the residence? thank you....I am told I should do this process through an attoney

Did you keep your receipt for the mail-order bride??lol I was thinking of bringing a couple of bottles of wine as I thought it could be expensive there? I know Chilean and Argentine wine is good depending on the region...what is your opinion while you are waiting at the airport in Miami? And so it goes......

My cost for the whole process through the cedula was at 1,300.00. That does not include the fees the government charges, nor translations.
Stay Well

If there were 2 people, husband and wife, would that be double?

how long was the residency process I will leave with a 6 month visa and hope to get an extension while I am waiting for my residency

Mela1 wrote:

If there were 2 people, husband and wife, would that be double?

I think that is pretty much the case. I think some lawyers will give you a break on the price, as a lot of the steps are already being taken, so it's not actually extra work for them. Guess you'd just have to contact some to get the answer.
Good Luck

pele6254 wrote:

how long was the residency process I will leave with a 6 month visa and hope to get an extension while I am waiting for my residency

The time frame really seems to vary. I'm seeing my attorney's in the morning and I'll get their read on it. Remind me.
Stay Well

Will do Neil thank you!

Yes, as long a you are within the present timeframe for your active visa when you return. That is, not more than 90 days (without paperwork) or 6 months with corresponding visa. After the 6 months, if you are still in the process of obtaining your permanent visa, it gets more complicated. You will probably need a letter from a lawyer explaining the situation, but even then, the Lawyer will recommend that you don't leave. It took me 8 months to get my Visa and Cedula, but remaining in the country once the process is started is not a problem. I understand that present times are mostly less than 6 months (but vary widely). If you do exceed your active visa, you will not be allowed to enter the country until a year from your entry on your last visa. They are very strict about this and you probably don't want to exceed the timeframe for even a day.

After two years, I understand you have to return to Ecuador every 18 months to maintain your residency. This is far better then the U.S., where it is 6 months if you hold a green card.

very valuable information thank you

You are most welcome.

This reminds me. If anyone needs a passport or will need one soon, and is planning to come to Ecuador, get it with extra pages. It is free when getting or renewing a passport. But quite expensive if you have to add pages later. A 6-month visa takes up a whole page; so does the permanent visa. If you just slip over to Peru and back, your passport will be stamped. And, then there is all those trips back to North America. Pages fill up fast.